Can you underlay an image onto DEM?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
wojo

Can you underlay an image onto DEM?

Post by wojo »

I've finally figured out how to import a DEM file to get a head start on the contouring. You have to use the defunct USGS 7.5 minute ASCII files that they retired about 2005. Now that I've got a DEM into APCD, it's impossible to tell where anything is on that almost blank green Top View. Does APCD allow you to underlay an aerial plan image of an existing course to line up the fairways with the terrain?

Wojo
Danny D

Re: Can you underlay an image onto DEM?

Post by Danny D »

wojo wrote: August 6th, 2020, 12:23 am I've finally figured out how to import a DEM file to get a head start on the contouring. You have to use the defunct USGS 7.5 minute ASCII files that they retired about 2005. Now that I've got a DEM into APCD, it's impossible to tell where anything is on that almost blank green Top View. Does APCD allow you to underlay an aerial plan image of an existing course to line up the fairways with the terrain?

Wojo
Hi wojo...

We use overhead screen captures from Google Earth to create overlays. Here's a example of my overlay for Coeur d"Alene...
CDL Overlay.jpg
CDL Overlay.jpg (810.34 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
Some time back, I purchased an ultra-wide monitor that allows me to capture larger areas so it doesn't take as many captures to put together the entire course. I volunteered to create overlays for anyone wanting to start a new course, to help get them started. If you would like an overlay, I will capture it from GE (Google Earth), piece it together, and size it to match the actual course yardage. I will then send it to you as a CRZ file and all you have to do is open it in the APCD and begin setting the elevations. You can then trace around the overlay images to create the fairways, green, bunkers, tee boxes etc etc...

Would you be interested in me making one for you? Just be aware that there are certain conditions that will keep me from being able to make an overlay. I will have to take a look at the course on GE before I will be able to tell. If you want me to try, please give me the name and location of the course you are working on.

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
wojo

Post by wojo »

Sounds good, Dan. Thanks, but I want to learn how to do it too. I already have a Google Earth image, but it isn't the same shape as the DEM I already imported... and I don't know how to scale it. Do I need to capture a Google Earth image approximately the same area as the DEM?
wojo

Post by wojo »

Dan, here's the pieces I already have... the DEM file and the Google Earth JPG of the course. The course is called Salishan Hills GC and it's located on the Oregon coast just south of Lincoln City, Oregon. You can email me at steve@retrosportsgames.com if you care to talk. I probably have some questions.

Thanks.
Wojo
Attachments
1636141.zip
USGS 7.5 minutes ASCII DEM file.
(26.55 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Google Earth Image
Google Earth Image
Salishan GC.jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 4083 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

wojo wrote: August 6th, 2020, 5:21 am Sounds good, Dan. Thanks, but I want to learn how to do it too. I already have a Google Earth image, but it isn't the same shape as the DEM I already imported... and I don't know how to scale it. Do I need to capture a Google Earth image approximately the same area as the DEM?
I'll email you and we can discuss it.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Temporarily turn off "Terrain" in Google Earth while capturing the image, it creates a flat map to avoid skewed yardages (most noticeable in places with severe elevation differences).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Adelade wrote: August 6th, 2020, 8:14 am Temporarily turn off "Terrain" in Google Earth while capturing the image, it creates a flat map to avoid skewed yardages (most noticeable in places with severe elevation differences).
I've looked all over GE and I don't see where to turn off "Terrain". Where is it? Thanks!

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: August 6th, 2020, 12:00 pm
Adelade wrote: August 6th, 2020, 8:14 am Temporarily turn off "Terrain" in Google Earth while capturing the image, it creates a flat map to avoid skewed yardages (most noticeable in places with severe elevation differences).
I've looked all over GE and I don't see where to turn off "Terrain". Where is it? Thanks!

Pete
Hi Pete...

Open GE and at the top left menu, selects TOOLS. Next, remove the 2 check-marks under the TERRAIN heading, and hit APPLY.

Dan

terrain.jpg
terrain.jpg (159.8 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
Completed Courses
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

No thats not the place I meant, I tried disabling those and there is still elevation data showing with those off. The one I meant is accessed in sidebar (View > Sidebar to show/hide), at the bottom in the "Layers" menu.

If on Google Maps instead of Google Earth, the same thing can be achieved by disabling "Globe" or "Globe view".

Remember to turn it back on afterwards :thumbup:
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

It does look like places with high quality elevation data access a different image when doing so, which I suppose in some cases can led to a less desirable image, then I suppose it comes down to a choice. Sometimes using the history tool can give better images (though look out for changes done to the real course), for courses on relatively flat terrain it may be unnecessary, but I know for my mountain course it actually made a very big difference in getting the image to fit yardages correctly everywhere.