Red Sky

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
pmgolf

Red Sky

Post by pmgolf »

I don't know what causes this, but I sure would appreciate the answer if anyone knows it. When clicking around the course in Practice Mode to look at changes I've made on the course, the red sky appears on a random screen re-draw. It can be corrected by changing to a different sky, but what-the-heck causes it? Any ideas?
Old Head Red Sky 02.jpg
Old Head Red Sky 02.jpg (346.25 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
Pete
Guitarzan

Re: Red Sky

Post by Guitarzan »

It looks like a texture compression issue. You might compare the file size with other sky textures and see if they are any different. If that is the case then you know it has been compressed at a different rate or format.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I don't think it's the sky. When it happens I just change to the next sky. Over the next few minutes, that sky will do the same thing so I switch to the next sky or back to the one before, and a little later it happens again. Maybe a problem caused by the panorama?

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: June 9th, 2020, 8:06 pm I don't think it's the sky. When it happens I just change to the next sky. Over the next few minutes, that sky will do the same thing so I switch to the next sky or back to the one before, and a little later it happens again. Maybe a problem caused by the panorama?

Pete
Glad you mentioned this. I have had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago. I thought it was something wrong with the APCD. I thought there may have been a rogue piece of texture floating around out in space (which is what I call the area off-plot where we build 3D objects.) I tried searching for it, but never found anything or figured out what it was. Eventually it went away on it's own. :dunno:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Red sky at night, golfers delight
Red sky in the morning, golfers take warning!

Sorry... :rofl:
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Does it do this with default skies?
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

That is a graphics issue nothing to worry about unless all your skies look like that.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Unfortunately it's a persistent graphics issue that keeps on appearing, and has been doing so, randomly, for more than 30 days. Something has to be causing it. I suspect it has something to do with the panorama. If no one has any ideas I guess I could try replacing it. Does anyone know of another ocean panorama? Thanks.

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I've had this happen on various different courses, including high profile courses like Augusta for example so I dont believe its course related. When it happens to me it always only happens in one particular compass direction, other 3/4 directions look fine. Is it like that for you too? And has it only happened on this particular course for you? It only happens pretty rarely for me, maybe once per 20-40 rounds or so, so when you say it has kept appearing for you lately that might mean its something particular... The screenshot you post is pretty much exactly how it looks in my case anyway. If anything it should be related to sky files you'd think, but in my understanding its something random and not something inherently totally wrong about the sky files, because I've looked through all the ones I use and they have looked fine at one point. If it has become a significant annoynce for you I would suggest to try temporarily cutting out your custom skies and see if it makes any difference.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
SLucey

Post by SLucey »

Coincidentally, I'm working on a Mauna Kea course, and I went to test a few holes I had completed, and I saw the same thing like pmgolf posted. I had not seen this in any other course I've worked on. At first, I thought maybe it was because of the elevation (or more precisely, the changes in elevation). But, upon closer inspection it appears to be something about the horizon (panorama, perhaps). Funny thing is, I don't have a panorama set to anything in the APCD at this moment. The panorama is using my default specified in the game. Its a sporadic thing as it doesn't happen all the time, but, it is happening more or less in the same view - looking out over the ocean. I'm beginning to wonder if there is some conflict with the custom ocean texture and default panorama.