How Real is Real?

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Stephen Sullivan

How Real is Real?

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

I am sure I asked this question on the old forum, but will ask it again here.

When working on a real course how close to the real thing does it have to be to class it as Real when uploading?

My current course is based on the layout and rough elevations of Close House Colt Course, but the greens, bunkers, walls etc may not be totally accurate for slopes and depths. I'm also avoiding doing the 3D buildings (other than the driving range building which is right by the 15th), as it's something I struggle with.

Can I still class it as Real?

If I do another course, it will be from my own imagination :thumbup:
pmgolf

Re: How Real is Real?

Post by pmgolf »

If the design is based on a real course - even if it's as you remember it - it's a real course. I plan on doing Kingsmill River course pretty soon, but not as it is now. It's been overrun by housing surrounding the holes, and I haven't seen it in it's new form other than on TV, but I played it maybe 10 times 30 years ago, and attended 3 PGA Tournaments there back then. The layout of the holes will be as it is now (Google Earth), but the houses won't be there since I have no memory of them.

Pete
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

If it's a real course, call it real. Most of us will never know that there are some imperfections. We will enjoy it (or not) just the same. We will appreciate the fact that you put in the effort to make the courses for us. :thumbup:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

All of my courses are real and all but one were designed using dem's. When I made TPC Louisiana it was from scratch and I just worked from getty images and video of the tournament, the greens are strakaline but the rest of the course was done from reference so it is not exact as far as elevations and depth go.

Glenn
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Personally I think there has to be quite a lot of intentional alterations (and not just as a result of lack of information) before a fictional branding should even be considered. Better brand a course as real and write any caveats in the notes in my opinion.

Were people less welcoming of courses being listed as real when you asked last time?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

The challenge with a real course is to do the best with the informations you can have
After that it's only to have the better compromise you can do...
For Close House, it's true, the Google Earth informations are not fabulous, but I'm sure it will be a great course :thumbup:
Do not get discouraged and take your time :cheers1:
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Thanks for the input guys. Will call it real then :thumbup:

One thing I will be doing is adding some "Ladies" tees that play long, as there were tee boxes that didn't agree with the score card at a longer distance.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I think that the Lambton (13 pages of input may seem excessive, but wait until the Final version is available) example (along with a couple of others from "up north") may be the best bet. You have a decent chance of encountering somebody who has visited the course or at least knows the area and, even if they're not designers can still provide local input that makes the "realism" more "real". I believe the term is "nit picking"). :whistle:
There at least 2 that have yet to make a BETA appearance and a couple of BETA's that are being Nit Picked now.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

If I ever get around to it (plenty to do here right now), I have a crazy plan to combine six three-hole stretches from six different real courses, the "Amen Corner" holes, for example. The plan is to fit the six segments together like jigsaw puzzle pieces. That's probably a ridiculous project to attempt as a first project, but that's exactly why I would do it :laugh:
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

FOOOOORE! wrote: July 30th, 2020, 3:38 am If I ever get around to it (plenty to do here right now), I have a crazy plan to combine six three-hole stretches from six different real courses, the "Amen Corner" holes, for example. The plan is to fit the six segments together like jigsaw puzzle pieces. That's probably a ridiculous project to attempt as a first project, but that's exactly why I would do it :laugh:
Very cool idea!!! Best of luck!!! :thumbup:

Doesn't Nicklaus have a course in Vegas where he recreated his favorite 18 holes that he designed? I always wondered about that course or the idea of doing what you're doing, but made into a real course.