British Open 2018 Carnoustie BETA

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

Re: British Open 2018 Carnoustie BETA

Post by Jimbo »

ChuckH wrote: March 14th, 2022, 3:14 pm First of all, fantastic course rendition. Love it. A couple of observations:
No cameo screen but I'm sure that's to come.
No hole handicaps yet.
While playing in practice mode, some holes still have spectators. I thought they shouldn't be visible in practice mode. What"s more, if you hit into them in practice mode, they don't disperse like they usually do and you can be hitting into them.
Anyway, great course so far.
Peter did one a few years ago that doesn't include tournament objects-this one is beautiful and, IMHO should only be played when you're "ready to roll", so the spectator issue, while unusual isn't too important-I played a real round and the stands are o/b (not that we're ever going to put one in there-right? :naughty:
Anyway I'm about to start "nitting".
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

ChuckH wrote: March 14th, 2022, 3:14 pm First of all, fantastic course rendition. Love it. A couple of observations:
No cameo screen but I'm sure that's to come.
No hole handicaps yet.
While playing in practice mode, some holes still have spectators. I thought they shouldn't be visible in practice mode. What"s more, if you hit into them in practice mode, they don't disperse like they usually do and you can be hitting into them.
Anyway, great course so far.
Those spectators are 2D objects, so they were planted and will always be there unless the designer makes them tournament objects
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'm halfway through my nit-pick...there are very (and I mean VERY) few nits to pick so far (a couple of very minor elevations). I love the tournament objects around the course! :clapping:
I should be done either tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. :thumbup:
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi guys
thanks for all the feedback.

I've hopefully corrected a few things:
The burn on 3, 4 and 5 is now a hazard and the ones on 9, 12 14,and you have to drop out of them and the rough under the red lines is hazard too.
I've removed the spectators from hole 10 behind the green and to the left of 11's green and replaced them with APCD fans so that they disperse.
My spectators and marshalls and media are some of the people who were actually were there and are 2d objects that have now been made "tournament objects" so they will disappear in practice mode. I've left my spectators near the the tee of 15, if you hit a shot into them then you deserve to have them in the way and I've made one of them tread on your ball ! The stands that are within bounds are meant to be a free drop and hopefully are now. There are stands that are out of bounds, the one by the 6th tee, the 8th tee and to the left of the 18th green so no free drop there.
I wasn't going to bother with hole handicaps as it's a British Open course but I can easily put some in from the Carnoustie card.
I've had a problem with the cameo screens. I've tried on 2 different PCs and neither can get the cameo in. APCD doesn't reject it but it just doesn't appear in the game.

Many thanks again

Peter (ponkey)
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

OOB in grandstands near tees seems not to be area in play. In The Open on hole #18 for grandstands there probably was a free drop area designated. Otherwise could grandstands be made into solid object meant to repel shots randomly back into burn, onto green, rough or in greenside left sand trap as believe would in real life happen most times. I do see left grandstand is quite a bit away with OOB white line where right grandstand next to green is closer by. Just played hole to see and accidentally hit into right side of green's grandstand. Was given free drop as said to be at point entered grandstand area. Chip shot afterwards and hit as would exactly want to click point away from hole for distance to cover and shot only traveled 3 feet, so that could be existing problem yet to resolve.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I can see where Jockie's Burn might dry up in the summer but Barry Burn looks pretty substantial.
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

I've just changed the stands material so that it behaves like concrete, so that the ball will bounce off it. Yes there would be a drop zone for balls going into the stands in real life but I'm not aware that we can make drop zones. If we can then maybe someone can tell me how as that would be more realistic. The only stand that straddles in bounds and out of bounds is the one to the left of the first tee and no ball should end up in there, so I don't see that as a problem. I suppose I could reshape OOB so that the whole of that stand is OOB.
Jockie's Burn is definitely dry in the summer and it's gravel at the bottom. The Barry Burn is not substantial, if you remember Van de Velde standing in it, it was only up to his ankles. It's only about a brick's depth deep with six/seven bricks above the water level.
Here are some pics showing the burn at different places on the course. Zach Johnson at the 4th, there's one of the 3rd green and then Jean V d V paddling.

Thanks
Peter
Attachments
van de velde.jpg
van de velde.jpg (111.22 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Jockie's burn2.jpg
Jockie's burn2.jpg (258.49 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Zach on 4th.jpg
Zach on 4th.jpg (266.7 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Would you call that "getting burned"? :rofl:

Anyway Peter, check your email...there's a very short nit-pick PM headed your way.

BTW-the great thing about practice mode is that you can hit out of bounds and take a look at what the designer has done in places that you won't go in a normal round! :thumbup:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

I remember seeing a drop zone on some course played and was after I had hit into water. The drop area seemed more like a teeing area, otherwise rest of surrounding area was deep rough for a long way backwards. Hopefully another course designer will speak up and be of help here. With my rudimentary knowledge would guess involves terrain properties and select free drop option and that goes backwards towards where hit from with previous shot and definitely would choose area, such as with teeing area properties in which to hit next shot after the free drop option utilized. Would guess that terrain in which grandstands are on might be designated as say desert and the color changed to be green instead of a yellow or orange for a texture not really associated with course otherwise, but would allow free drop after winding up in it. Where grandstands were changed to deflect would have to be reversed where could wind up being in them once more as terrain texture would be determination and not have to fall back on saying area was otherwise OOB. On the whole I suppose some grandstands might deflect shots into them whereas others might get free drop from winding up in them, but I believe there are two ways that they might be set up as possibly being. Here just thinking out of the so called proverbial box. Definitely remember some signage created saying area was drop zone and area had white outer circle on some course once played.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

You cant make drop areas in which the ball will be dropped (I mean, you can make them visually, but there is no way to tell the game that it needs to assign drops to there) but you can make areas from which free drop will be had if the player ends up there. Links 2003 is always going to decide on its own where the drop will be taken, as a designer you cant really do anything about that, all you can do is change which areas result in drop and which are play areas, and thereby in some cases you might be able to somewhat guide/influence where Links will put the drop. For example, if you're worried that the game in some situations might force the player to take a drop in the deep grass right beside a creek, you can make the deep grass into a hazard as well, then that wont happen. A lot of the time, there will be no fully perfect solutions because of how the drop "rules" work in Links.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...