Lez' Fairway Grid of Vertices

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
wojo

Lez' Fairway Grid of Vertices

Post by wojo »

When you select any of the Lez Marwick tutorial videos on YouTube, you first see a splash screen showing a perspective view of a beautifully laid out course. When you look at the fairways, you see a very regular square grid of vertices. How did he do that? Is there a command for adding vertices in a regular pattern like that?

Wojo
Danny D

Re: Lez' Fairway Grid of Vertices

Post by Danny D »

wojo wrote: September 7th, 2020, 12:23 am When you select any of the Lez Marwick tutorial videos on YouTube, you first see a splash screen showing a perspective view of a beautifully laid out course. When you look at the fairways, you see a very regular square grid of vertices. How did he do that? Is there a command for adding vertices in a regular pattern like that?

Wojo
Yes... But it must be done when you first begin a new course.

When you start a new course there is a pop-up that allows you to set the course parameters. If you click on "Advanced Settings" you can choose HEX or SQUARE mesh.

A word of warning... DO NOT EVER choose "Non Regulation" fairways. There is a known bug in that function that causes some of the golf holes (cups) to become invisible. No one has ever found a fix for it.
Attachments
newcourse.jpg
newcourse.jpg (297.03 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Looking at that screenshot, it seems to me like a standard triangle mesh was used as the course base, and the verts in the fairways have been manually added and positioned. But Lez would be the person to confirm if that is the case.

I don't think I have come across any courses other than my own, where the designer has used square, rather than triangular mesh. I'm sure there are some, I just haven't seen them. But even if that's the case, triangular would have to be the most common way.

So using square mesh might be a bit unusual, although I personally find it good to work with. In fact if you want to examine how a course is constructed with that you could grab my own course, Coomealla, and open it in APCD. It's not locked, which means you can open it, edit, make changes etc. It's available in the courses download section, https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2567

Cheers, AJ
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: September 7th, 2020, 2:22 am Looking at that screenshot, it seems to me like a standard triangle mesh was used as the course base, and the verts in the fairways have been manually added and positioned. But Lez would be the person to confirm if that is the case.

I don't think I have come across any courses other than my own, where the designer has used square, rather than triangular mesh. I'm sure there are some, I just haven't seen them. But even if that's the case, triangular would have to be the most common way.

So using square mesh might be a bit unusual, although I personally find it good to work with. In fact if you want to examine how a course is constructed with that you could grab my own course, Coomealla, and open it in APCD. It's not locked, which means you can open it, edit, make changes etc. It's available in the courses download section, https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2567

Cheers, AJ
Hi AJ...

When creating real courses, many designers use course overlays from Google Earth. We also adjust our elevation points using the elevations from GE. When setting up the plot, all but a small few of 6 or 8 verts will be deleted. As such, it really makes no difference as to what shape the mesh is when you start. For the most part, leaving the mesh there and choosing how dense you want it to be, mostly depends on how you choose to create the course at the start. For example, if you create a course using a DEM, you may be better off with more adjustment points rather than less. But with an overlay, you manually add every vert and then adjust it's elevation as you work.

Just another thing to think about when you plan out your next new course. :whistle:

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Hey there Danny, you're right about that. In fact that is exactly what I'm doing with Kingston Heath. So in that case it makes no difference really. But for somebody starting a course without doing that, perhaps their own design, then it will make a difference whether they choose square or triangle.

My personal preference is to use square, but I think most people choose triangle. Perhaps because it's the default, or because most tutorials use triangle so easier to follow along to learn if you do the same.

Cheers, AJ