Links won't launch on new device

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Still Linksing

Re: Links won't launch on new device

Post by Still Linksing »

Sorry, I didn't see the exact Surface Pro model you have. It wasn't the X with Win 11 I installed Links on previously. Links does work on some Surface Pro models but not certain with the X. Try what I suggested and see what happens.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

Thanks Still Linksing,

I have set it run as Windows 7 and to run it as Administrator.

In the same screen, there was a Change high dpi setting options which I clicked. It took me to another screen with two boxes: Program dpi and high dpi scaling override. I checked the override box and set it to Application.

My first tries at launching gave me the small Links intro photo of, I think Kapalua. Then a small box popped up (sort of like a MS-DOS screen with no prompt, then it expanded to a full black screen, then back to the small black screen which then disappeared.

However, my latest tries have yielded absolutely nothing following the Windows warning asking me if I want to allow the application to make changes to my settings, which I agree to.
Doug
dko

Post by dko »

Just wondering, does it make a difference what location Links starts in? Right now, it shows as "C:\ProgramData\Links 2003"
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: February 4th, 2022, 10:01 am Just wondering, does it make a difference what location Links starts in? Right now, it shows as "C:\ProgramData\Links 2003"
Not sure where you are seeing this? The game itself should be installed elsewhere and you shouldn't really be seeing "C:\ProgramData\Links 2003" anywhere.

From what you replied, you may need to add your graphics details to Links. It's hard for me to check anything myself as I don't have the Surface Pro X or Win 11. I found info that explains everything for the Surface Pro below. Follow the steps.

https://www.linkscountryclub.com/help/surface-pro

Once you add the graphics info Links will hopefully start but you are likely to see graphical issues but it should at least start. You may need to try multiple compatibility options. I know Win 7 worked for me on a friend's Surface Pro and I see that's also what Links Country Club recommends.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

Remember guys this is the Surface Pro X which is an ARM device. Not Intel/AMD like the other Surface Pro series. There may be issues w/ the additional layer x86 emulation and Links 2k3 is falling down. It's like an oversized phone running Windows 10.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

john_iv wrote: February 5th, 2022, 12:54 am Remember guys this is the Surface Pro X which is an ARM device. Not Intel/AMD like the other Surface Pro series. There may be issues w/ the additional layer x86 emulation and Links 2k3 is falling down. It's like an oversized phone running Windows 10.
Wasn't aware of that. Let's see what happens. I'm not familiar with the Surface Pros, not something I would ever buy.
Any hardware these days that is not strictly for a desktop can cause issues with Links and old games and usually does. I personally love it every time I fire up my XP machine. Still my fav OS and my fav PC hardware is also from the same era.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

I just viewed john_iv's response and am wondering if I'm on a useless quest.

Still Linksing, I also would prefer to continue merrily along with Vista on my old Dell, but now continually get the Blue Screen of Death and have no idea how to fix it. Anyone have any ideas? Should I just go and get a new laptop or desktop, and if so does anyone have suggestions on what to get? That's how much I miss playing Links!

My reference to "C:\ProgramData\Links 2003\Players" was because when I check the properties of the Links shortcut on my desktop, there is a box under Target: that says Start In: and that is where I see ""C:\ProgramData\Links 2003\Players". The folder ProgramData exists on my old computer running Vista, and the Links\Players file contains a bunch of player names with an odd file extension (.obi? I don't remember). Anyway, the ProgramData folder does not exist in Windows 11 on the Surface Pro X and I can't find anything similar to the Players file anywhere. It just made me wonder if it was possible for Links to open if it's trying to start in a nonexistent file.

I did open the DxDiag.txt file and found a Vendor ID of 0x4D4F4351 under Display Devices, which is apparently an Adreno card by Qualcomm. When I looked at the VideoCard.txt file in the Links 2003 folder, all the other Vendor ID's were in the format 0x followed by four numeric digits. So, I haven't yet completed the steps identified in the surface pro help file.
Doug
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

As a datapoint for Links 2K3 on new hardware; I just build a desktop i7-12700K Alderlake with Window 11 x64 and Links 2003 and it's playing fine. I don't re-install Links 2003. I copy over my existing files into their appropriate locations and then also import the Links 2003 registration key in regedit.

I make sure to backup my main links directory including all its courses which I keep outside of \program files in c:\games\links 2003. By not installing into \program files you avoid a variety of user access protections from the newer MSFT OSes.

There is a hidden data store as you mentioned in c:\programdata\links 2003 you also need to back-up (after choosing to show hidden items) and restore to that location on a new box. (this has course data, mops, news, players directories).

You also need to grab the Links 2003 folder in your \user\x\Documents folder. This has your career, recorded players, saved games, and saved shots.

Once those three directories of files are in their appropriate areas, you can export from a working machine this key from the registry:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games

Then import that reg key in the new box via regedit.

I don't have a Surface Pro X, so I'm not sure if the locations above are applicable. You could turn on view hidden files and see if c:\programdata is there, and then move stuff over if you're inclined. You could also check if your registry works similarly to non-ARM Windows which I'm not sure of.

I also recently built a Surface Laptop 4 and it plays Links 2003 too, but with an Intel integrated graphics chip I had to use the voodoo2 wrapper to make it work. That's a thread pinned at the top of this sub-forum.

PS - The links 2003 .exe is called LinksMMIII.exe and should be in the main \links 2003 directory, not in \programdata at least on Intel/AMD hardware.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: February 5th, 2022, 4:29 am I just viewed john_iv's response and am wondering if I'm on a useless quest.
No, it doesn't mean it won't work.
dko wrote: February 5th, 2022, 4:29 am My reference to "C:\ProgramData\Links 2003\Players" was because when I check the properties of the Links shortcut on my desktop, there is a box under Target: that says Start In: and that is where I see ""C:\ProgramData\Links 2003\Players". The folder ProgramData exists on my old computer running Vista, and the Links\Players file contains a bunch of player names with an odd file extension (.obi? I don't remember). Anyway, the ProgramData folder does not exist in Windows 11 on the Surface Pro X and I can't find anything similar to the Players file anywhere. It just made me wonder if it was possible for Links to open if it's trying to start in a nonexistent file.
This is wrong. How did you get/install Links on your Surface Pro?
dko wrote: February 5th, 2022, 4:29 am I did open the DxDiag.txt file and found a Vendor ID of 0x4D4F4351 under Display Devices, which is apparently an Adreno card by Qualcomm. When I looked at the VideoCard.txt file in the Links 2003 folder, all the other Vendor ID's were in the format 0x followed by four numeric digits. So, I haven't yet completed the steps identified in the surface pro help file.
Won't worry about this yet.
dko wrote: February 5th, 2022, 4:29 am Still Linksing, I also would prefer to continue merrily along with Vista on my old Dell, but now continually get the Blue Screen of Death and have no idea how to fix it. Anyone have any ideas? Should I just go and get a new laptop or desktop, and if so does anyone have suggestions on what to get? That's how much I miss playing Links!
It's possible a hardware component is failing and it's also possible on an old computer things have occurred that finally cause such an error.

Which would you prefer to go with Surface Pro or old Dell? Both will likely take messing around with so best to focus on just the one. There is no simple "just do this and it will all work" response. I'm happy to go through steps with you. You can buy a new desktop as well if you have cash to splash. For long term stability of Links 2003 it would be the best option. I'm not trying to spend your money but realistically, the Surface Pro will always get updates for both software and hardware which may cause problems with Links. The old Dell, if it's not already a hardware failure issue, you probably won't be too far away from one.

Have a think about what you would prefer to do. If considering a new desktop, you would only need a real cheap one as Links will fly on the cheapest of modern systems.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

john_iv, I appreciate your response but honestly didn't understand most of it. As I said in one of my earlier posts, I am kind of a cave man when it comes to the inner workings of computers.

Still Linksing, I purchased Links from this website and downloaded it. I then ran the Download and Players executables as instructed. It placed the shortcut on my desktop and that is the info that was in it.

I think you're right about my old Dell. It's like 13 years old so I was probably lucky I got as much out of it as I did. I just remembered today that I have an old laptop somewhere running XP so if I can find it, I'm going to give it a shot.

If I do have to go the new route, I guess I better make sure it has Intel.
Doug