DOUG HURST-SPRINGFIELD GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

DOUG HURST-SPRINGFIELD GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB

Post by Jimbo »

This is one of the "Lost and Found" courses from a while ago. I try to make sure that I have all the Real courses on my computer and was surprised that I missed this one.

Anyway, thinking that "Springfield" would be a pretty common name for a course (or town), I decided to Google it. The Links course if a Beta from 2015 by Doug Hurst. I can't find his name on the members' list but he's designed 5 real courses (the last in 2019).
He worked with Glen Braden on PGA National-it`s a BETA. He finished Carey Park and Medal of Honour.

Anyway, I found Spriingfield clubs in Missouri and Virginia but the one that most closely resembles a course site is one in Guelph-about 50 miles west of Toronto. Former NHL goalie Olaf Kolzig sponsored a charity tournament...he spent most of his time with Washington-and won the Vezina Trophy in 2000. He finished his career with the Maple Leafs -that``s what makes me wonder whether his charity tournament was held at the Canadian course.

BTW for you hockey fans- `Òllie the Goalie `is one of the very few NHL players to be born in South Africa, although his parents were German and moved to western Canada. Olie is one of the co-owners of the Tri-City Americans Junior A team, so it`s possible that there`s a Springfield Club in the Pacific Northwest.

Anyway if Doug sees this maybe he can clarify things. :fcrossed:
gator

Re: DOUG HURST-SPRINGFIELD GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB

Post by gator »

Jimbo,

I'm guessing based on these articles that it's the course located in Springfield, Virginia:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 5e749d7e7/
https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/ ... ily23.html

Leo