PEBBLE BEACH 2004

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

PEBBLE BEACH 2004

Post by Jimbo »

I'm just doing a little practise for my online tour debut...I'm not afraid to admit that I'm afraid! :fear:
I'm playing Pebble Beach 2004 by Chuck Clark (mygawd the surroundings are beautiful!).
Anyway when I got to 18 I discovered a growth of trees in the middle of the fairway...where they shouldn't be.
Is it just me?

Don't worry Brooksie-I'll do my streamlined nit pick from now on!
GoBucks

Re: PEBBLE BEACH 2004

Post by GoBucks »

They've always been there.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

It's been many years since I played 2K4-Chuck was a magician...those houses are amazing!.
It's just that on the real course there's only a single tree.
Those were the pre-cut pick days!😉
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

Back in 2003 or 4, the trees you see on the 18th fairway were newly planted because the two trees prior were diseased or the salt water intruded upon them. The two trees prior were much bigger and more mature, obviously, but these two new pines should have grown at least 20 or 30 feet by now. Chuck wanted to update the new trees into the 04 version so I took the pics of these and other trees and 2D objects around the course to help update it to present.

He did an outstanding job putting it all together!
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Baggins wrote: February 5th, 2021, 3:47 am Back in 2003 or 4, the trees you see on the 18th fairway were newly planted because the two trees prior were diseased or the salt water intruded upon them. The two trees prior were much bigger and more mature, obviously, but these two new pines should have grown at least 20 or 30 feet by now. Chuck wanted to update the new trees into the 04 version so I took the pics of these and other trees and 2D objects around the course to help update it to present.

The larger tree near green to its right side that affected poor second shot layups if were to be too far wide to right side---causing a tough high third shot died and was big news back a few years ago when a similar tree had to be transplanted there in its place looking almost the same height. Watching play there recently the fairway sand traps out to right side seem not ever to come into play for players bailing out away from ocean on their drives. Sometimes I see where players are blocked by trees in middle of fairway causing them having to shape second shot around trees or punch a shot underneath tree limbs to wind up in a decent place in order to hit their third shot. It used to be rare in past that players tried to reach par 5 in 2 shots, but more players take chance now even if can only put second shot in sand trap fronting green. This goes to subject discussed in golf the last week or so of USGA and R and A toughening standards on clubs and balls finally. There was word out that Mickelson experimenting to use a 48 inch long driver.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I always thought that it was just a "lone pine" at the dog leg.
But check out those houses!
We visited Pebble Beach many years ago-you have to pay an admission fee to get into the neighbourhood-honest. That's what this Lonkster loves to see...but you probably know that already!😉
It was the Monday of the rainy tournament-they were hoping to finish on the Monday but the course was waterlogged.
We had lunch watching them squeegee the 18th fairway!🙄
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

Jimbo wrote: February 5th, 2021, 5:41 pm I always thought that it was just a "lone pine" at the dog leg.
But check out those houses!
We visited Pebble Beach many years ago-you have to pay an admission fee to get into the neighbourhood-honest. That's what this Lonkster loves to see...but you probably know that already!😉
It was the Monday of the rainy tournament-they were hoping to finish on the Monday but the course was waterlogged.
We had lunch watching them squeegee the 18th fairway!🙄
I worked security during one AT&T Pro-Am back in 95 or 96 that got rained out and they ended up with only 3 rounds in before calling it quits. I spent most of my time off the 4th hole of Spyglass. Lots of squeegees being used that week! The homes around PB are incredible.

And last time I checked, it was $16 just to drive onto 17 Mile drive to get even close to the courses. An exclusive toll road. :cheers1:
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

gene_golf wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:59 pm
Baggins wrote: February 5th, 2021, 3:47 am Back in 2003 or 4, the trees you see on the 18th fairway were newly planted because the two trees prior were diseased or the salt water intruded upon them. The two trees prior were much bigger and more mature, obviously, but these two new pines should have grown at least 20 or 30 feet by now. Chuck wanted to update the new trees into the 04 version so I took the pics of these and other trees and 2D objects around the course to help update it to present.

The larger tree near green to its right side that affected poor second shot layups if were to be too far wide to right side---causing a tough high third shot died and was big news back a few years ago when a similar tree had to be transplanted there in its place looking almost the same height. Watching play there recently the fairway sand traps out to right side seem not ever to come into play for players bailing out away from ocean on their drives. Sometimes I see where players are blocked by trees in middle of fairway causing them having to shape second shot around trees or punch a shot underneath tree limbs to wind up in a decent place in order to hit their third shot. It used to be rare in past that players tried to reach par 5 in 2 shots, but more players take chance now even if can only put second shot in sand trap fronting green. This goes to subject discussed in golf the last week or so of USGA and R and A toughening standards on clubs and balls finally. There was word out that Mickelson experimenting to use a 48 inch long driver.
You're correct, sir. I would have thought that they would have transplanted more mature trees to cut the "break-in" time in half but I guess this way, they're more naturally adapted to the absolutely terrible placement they've found themselves in. :laugh: And the default line off the tee in Links takes you directly at them so be sure to aim left! :yes:
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

I understand that "Green Fees" are what they are-------but why would anyone pay just to SEE the course??? That's where I draw the line! :dunno:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I paid to drive on "17 Mile Drive", and one of the sights besides the wonderful views of the pacific with frolicking animal life was Pebble Beach. For this Virginian, it was worth it. :clapping: :clapping: :thumbup:

Pete