PEBBLE BEACH 2004

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
cloeks1

Re: PEBBLE BEACH 2004

Post by cloeks1 »

I tried to do the drive buy PB but was on a motorcycle and they don't like motorcycles.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We certainly couldn't afford to play most of the courses...except here on this site. But I try to buy golf shirts from the clubs that we visit on our drives.
My wife isn't thrilled...but almost all of these exclusive clubs will accommodate visitors-as long as you phone ahead. They won't let you into the clubhouse but the pro shops are usually accessible from outside. The folks at Cog Hill and Riviera were very friendly but frankly there was only one club that wasn't particularly hospitable...which shall remain nameless... :whistle:
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

Jimbo wrote: February 6th, 2021, 6:47 pm We certainly couldn't afford to play most of the courses...except here on this site. But I try to buy golf shirts from the clubs that we visit on our drives.
My wife isn't thrilled...but almost all of these exclusive clubs will accommodate visitors-as long as you phone ahead. They won't let you into the clubhouse but the pro shops are usually accessible from outside. The folks at Cog Hill and Riviera were very friendly but frankly there was only one club that wasn't particularly hospitable...which shall remain nameless... :whistle:
Yeah, most here are public courses that let you walk around and purchase stuff (of course) while not bothering the paying customers. I even got to walk around the clubhouse and pro shop for a bit at Cypress Point but was told that I couldn't take any pics of the course or even the trees for Old Cypress (which was the reason I went there). No way in hell! Over the years, they were propositioned by car companies to film their commercials on the course and they flat turned them down on multiple occasions. I did manage to get some nice cypress trees but only from the road, though.

Tehama, Clint Eastwood's private course, let us come in to "not" take pictures only after we told them that my wife's 90 year old father's birthday was today and he would just melt if we brought him home a ball cap and club golf ball. It wasn't his birthday really but we just told them that it was. That was back when they were still building houses around the course. Now, they probably would shoo you off but what a course that would be to play! :cheers1:
Last edited by Baggins on February 9th, 2021, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Interesting to hear of this new course that Clint plays. He was mayor of Carmel I believe. Regarding course clothes I see can order online and not have to go to course. I worked several years for Polo Ralph Lifshitz and friends/family would write down style number from local retail stores and I could use my employee discount getting items for a third the price stores sold them for at the Polo warehouse. Over years some courses had embroidered logos on them not able to sell, so returned back to Polo and employees able to get for real cheap price, less than new knit shirts. Have a few from Pine Valley, one from Augusta as well as some tournament ones such as PGA 99 from Medinah and a US Open 2000 from Pebble Beach.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

I believe the trees are Cypress trees and not pine trees, hence the name Monterrey Cypress and here thinking of Cypress Point nearby along the coastal bay. Just checked to see and it has been since 1990 that Cypress Point last hosted the the tournament as "der Bingo" died in 1977 and Katharine, his wife along with his son, Nathaniel who won the U.S. Amateur in 1981 at The Olympic Club continued to run the so called Crosby Clambake under Crosby family name until AT&T became tournament's sponsor after 1985 continuing on until now. Afterwards for a few years from 1986 through 2001 a version of the Crosby was held at Bermuda Run Golf Course, nearby to Tanglewood in Clemmons, NC where the 1974 PGA was played there and scholarships are still being given out today by the Crosby charity. Cypress Pines as remember only played to around 6500 yards and will have to check Sage Vanni's version here in Links, but course played short for pros anyhow. Not remembering Monterrey Pines when it hosted tournament until 1976 when Spyglass took over or even today as Monterrey Pines was redesigned by Mike Strantz being a course venue since 2010. From 1991 through 2009 tournament had Poppy Hills as a course venue. This year starting week upcoming tournament see will not be played at Monterrey Pines somehow, but next year will be played there again as the third course. Will be strange not to have amateurs/celebrities playing in a pro/am format, and not sure amateurs really had a correct U.S.G.A. handicap by giving them strokes plus how many strokes under par their pro playing partner might contribute to their team.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I stand corrected-I was thinking of a song about lonesome pines. :rofl:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Jimbo wrote: February 8th, 2021, 11:25 pm I stand corrected-I was thinking of a song about lonesome pines. :rofl:
May well be some pine trees scattered throughout course, but wanted to bring up Monterrey cypress that is part of Pebble Beach's logo. The tall tree that was replaced near right front of 18th green was a cypress. Will have to check Sage's version of Cypress Point to check out trees he used there and play a fictional course by Jon Weinreib, Old Cypress G.C. (East Course).
PatAuge

Post by PatAuge »

Jimbo wrote: February 4th, 2021, 8:39 pm It's been many years since I played 2K4-Chuck was a magician...those houses are amazing!.
It's just that on the real course there's only a single tree.
Those were the pre-cut pick days!😉
I’m pretty sure I built the 3D for Chuck! I just can’t remember. I think I built the clubhouse does someone have a picture of it to remind me?

Cheers
Pat
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Jimbo wrote: February 8th, 2021, 11:25 pm I stand corrected-I was thinking of a song about lonesome pines. :rofl:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... t=0&sim=11
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

I have had power in house out since Saturday Morning until this morning because of an ice storm. I watched some of early rounds at Pebble and I do believe there is just the one lone tree now instead of the 2 as shown in a picture that gave a link indicating 2. In 2004 version they are out 275 and 285 yards from the back tee.