Castle Pines 2021 Beta Feedback

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

Re: Castle Pines 2021 Beta Feedback

Post by Jimbo »

That's what I'm planning. It's going to be a lot of work...those folks in Colorado have done some major renovations!
It's always fun when they build a residential neighbourhood' around and through a golf course!🤨
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Steve-there''s a PM speeding along the interweb at the speed of light. :thumbup:

Folks, after looking at the Google Earth layout of Castle Pines I can only come to the conclusion that Microsoft (or whoever did the original course) got the elevations all wrong-especially the first 4 holes...and nobody caught it-if you visit their website you'll see that in order to get a first-hand look at the holes you need to pay $27K initiation plus $700 a year in dues...the folks who live in the Castle Rock suburb of Denver probably have that much in petty cash! :whistle:

According to Google Earth, as well as Provisualizer the first 4 holes are 300 feet almost straight down to the Can-Am Highway...only then do they turn east and start going up...as I told Steve this course is an effing roller coaster...and always has been.

Anyway, I've given Steve something to look at-aside from the major elevation issue he' gets two thumbs up. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

BTW, for those of you who remember the TV series "Corner Gas" that Can Am Highway runs from El Paso to La Ronge (north of Saskatoon).
Just after it crosses the border it passes a few miles west of a town called Rouleau-better known as "Dog River".
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I loved that entire series! In fact, the Mrs. and I were thinking of taking a vacation there in Dog River and feasting on some of those chili dogs! :rofl:

Pete
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Pete-unfortunately the didn't turn it into a tourist attraction so all that's left is Rouleau. We were lucky enough to visit before they tore things down...we managed to get some pictures.
But if you're a fan of Star Trek then I recommend Vulcan, Alberta-southeast of Calgary and about a half hour off the Trans-Canada Highway. They did the smart thing and turned it into a real tourist attraction.
Leonard Nimoy actually visited the place, as did several cast members.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

...and now I return to my nit-picking!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Steve, one more tiny PM.
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

Thought that I'd compare Castle Pines over versions in golf games that I have as far as elevation. I picked the same tee boxes which in JN6 is called the black tees and the others called the back tees. TW08 also has Pro/Tournament tees but they were much further back. The games are TW08, JN6, Links2003(2001 course), and the new course beta by Steven Lucey. Minus number is downhill in yards and plus number is uphill in yards.

Hole# JN6 TW08 Links Links(Steven Lucey beta)
#1 -39 -38 -43 -30
#2 -13 -20 -12 +15
#3 -16 -13 -15 +8
#4 -15 -7 -14 +8
#5 +17 +17 +16 +10
#6 +15 +14 +16 -9
#7 -10 -3 -8 +1
#8 +18 +26 +22 -7
#9 +8 +15 +8 +7
#10 -14 -12 -26 -1
#11 -23 -21 -22 +7
#12 +14 +9 +17 +7
#13 -4 -4 -5 -30
#14 -29 -27 -30 +4
#15 -10 -8 -9 +2
#16 +4 +8 +4 -4
#17 +20 +34 +11 -19
#18 +4 +14 +13 +25

I have no idea of actual elevations. Hole yardages vary. JN6 version is from 2004. TW08 was released in 2008. Links around 2001. The back or black tees seemed to be the closest in hole distances.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

It shows how the first 4 holes are downhill all the way- (if you can't trust the guy who designed the course!😁)

Anyway I've sent my first 4 hole nitpick...I've made it to the bottom of the hill and am getting ready for the long trek back up.

I don't know how long it takes to change elevations compared to how long it takes to change scenery. So far the basic scenery is good-although there has been quite a bit of high-end housing that makes the occasional appearance.

This will work out and we'll have a first-class addition!👍
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

These are latest revisions on course done in last year. https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/ ... stle-pines
Obviously there were changes done after MS released its version of course and before changes done just last year.
This is a link to provisualizer showing yardage, elevation changes for shots on each hole as well as what the current holes look like from overhead views. Elevation for hole #11 shows a drop from tee to green of 18 meters which I take as 29 yards since hole says 195 yards on card, but plays at 166 yards comparatively by elevation change I would surmise. However this course being high up in mountains of Colorado there was a saying that in thin air players estimate that shots carry 10 per cent longer and I do not think this has been added into calculations. I do remember many years back discussion by Mathew Rose, who lived in area then and was thinking about doing Castle Pines course here in Links how to properly make course play as does IRL---my take would be to play course from shorter hole distances and that would equal out this one concern.
https://www.provisualizer.com/3dplanner ... 8,,,,,&v=2

As for changes to course that might have involved routing to accommodate houses being built beside fairways I believe changes were moreso done by Nicklaus to make course more challenging or to drain better. The expensive homes that have been built alongside fairways could be pulled off as Ian Wells did with his course Wade Hampton. I would think that trees still exist on hillside to partially camouflage the view of homes. Only by being in fairway and turning sideways looking at homes can they fully be seen, but that is not natural as a golfer would be focused on looking straight ahead to where next shot will have to be hit.