Castle Pines 2021 Beta Feedback

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

Re: Castle Pines 2021 Beta Feedback

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Gene...some of are anal and/or can't keep their ball in the short stuff...😄
SLucey

Post by SLucey »

Jimbo wrote: February 10th, 2021, 1:14 am Steve, one more tiny PM.
Could you re-send this. Doesn't show anything new in my in-box.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Will do later today...it's just a minor thing...yet vital!😉
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Steve, sorry for the delay-I've PM'd you with a small but important addition to the third hole as well as a minor, optional adjustment.

I'm working on the back nine now.

BTW fellow Linksters-you will be relieved to know that, despite the first four holes "falling off a cliff" the rest of the front nine manages to get back to the clubhouse! :laugh:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I just sent Steve my (at least what I hope is) my official nitpick.

Word of warning...I mentioned earlier that I thought that the differences in elevation were due to the residential development but I was wrong. Access Software simply effed up the elevations (and there''s one hole that they really messed up), but Steve's really motoring! It's going to be great.

While I was nitpicking I took a look at the other course that Jack had designed in the neighborhood-it's the Country Club at Castle Pines-it's a totally different course (and clubhouse) but looks equally challenging-if not more so-and unlike Castle Pines this one has flyovers.

Just thought I'd mention it... :whistle:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Jimbo wrote: February 13th, 2021, 4:27 am I just sent Steve my (at least what I hope is) my official nitpick.

Word of warning...I mentioned earlier that I thought that the differences in elevation were due to the residential development but I was wrong. Access Software simply effed up the elevations (and there''s one hole that they really messed up), but Steve's really motoring! It's going to be great.

While I was nitpicking I took a look at the other course that Jack had designed in the neighborhood-it's the Country Club at Castle Pines-it's a totally different course (and clubhouse) but looks equally challenging-if not more so-and unlike Castle Pines this one has flyovers.

Just thought I'd mention it... :whistle:
Pray tell which hole in your opinion Access Software really messed up.
Chuck H gave hole elevations presumably from back tees to middle of greens for each hole and of the other golf sims they are in line with each other for the most part (taking into account some tees and greens have been changed since those games were put out, whereas Steven Lucey's recent work should be accurate to how course exists presently. Going by the overheads of provisualizer the outlines look spot on for Steven Lucey's work, however going by elevations in provisualizer especially when there is only just the tee shot to green to go by as indicated for hole #11 and a picture was provided by another poster of how hole was about 10 years back where I made the point with green at lower level looking back uphill towards the tee that the other poster erred in stating the hole played uphill---I have found no writings on the internet of how hole #11 might have been drastically altered to where the tee shot to green now goes uphill according to Steven Lucey 7 yards and the other golf sims averaging playing downhill around 22 yards.
One other observation and this might be something about Jimbo's bringing up hole #3. In provisualizer it would seem the left fairway has been discontinued as it has been shaded out. There are tees to left side making for an easier angle if play down left fairway than if tee position were on left and having to have a longer carry over creek to reach right fairway if that is only one possible now. Looking for an update here as provisualizer makes me question the play of hole #3.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Gene-the major (and I mean MAJOR) issue concerns the first 4 holes. I' know there was a second version of Castle Pines released and I can only assume that that was the version that Steve was referencing-in any event his second, third and fourth holes showed elevations rather than continuing down the mountain....then the other holes work their way back to the top. The original Access version appears to be more accurate so that's my only conclusion, although there are some differences (like the bunker on the second hole that's now a pond). The other golf sims got it right.

In any event Steve has fixed the issue. With respect to the split fairway, both Google Earth and Golf Pass (the NBC site) show a split fairway-in fact Golf Pass shows the other side of the fairway as the preferred route. IMHO the reason that Nicklaus would put a tree there would be to give the golfer a risk-reward situation-sort of like the cypress at Pebble Beach (especially when your tee shot ends up in the tree! :rofl: )

Unfortunately, as I told Steve, the only way to see the "real" descriptions and/or flyovers is via the official club website-and access to that part of the website is restricted to the "members only" link ($24K initiation plus $700 a year annual dues to get in, if anyone in the Denver area is interested).

On the back nine his holes actually started going up...in reality they go downhill even more rapidly than the front nine. Holes 13-16 are on the south side of Happy Canyon Road-they also go downhill, although, not being part of the "main" course their contribution to the overall club elevation is minimalized. Looking at the current version there's no Happy Canyon Road so it looks as if the 16th green is next to the 17th tee. The tee shot from the back tees on 17 should be across of the pond, practically backing onto Happy Canyon Road and next to what looks like the official entrance to the club. This hole should be a 100 foot incline and makes up for most of the downhill lies from holes 10-12. The 18th is only 23 feet up, not 75.

Those were the main nit-picks...the major one obviously being the elevations. As for the split fairway, there's a difference of opinion that, at the end of the day only the club knows for sure. I think that we should stick with the original design, but' that's IMHO.

In any event I think that this will be a remarkable product...and I've already suggested that, as long as he's "in the neighbourhood" :smile: Steve might take a look at the sister course (Country Club at Castle Pines)...the elevations are every bit as dramatic, the yardage is comparable AND IT HAS "PUBLIC" FLYOVERS!
...and it has a nice clubhouse! :whistle:
Last edited by Jimbo on February 15th, 2021, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

In any event my suggestion would be to release a second beta...

...and with that, I'm off to make Mr. Brooks' life a living hell...as usual. :rofl:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Regarding hole #3 MS has a clear view of both fairways from back tee in play then because there is a drop of 50 feet to left fairway and a drop of 40 feet to right fairway. In this new version the drive to either fairway side goes uphill 15 to 20 feet or so and definitely have to use overhead in aiming. The 2 fairways could be denoted as well by having aiming trees just as in the MS versions, but not seeing the aiming trees in this newest version in order to see what has now been changed to be a creek in between the split fairways, whereas was rough in MS versions before. Looks as if a couple of tees have been added to back left of hole. Playing down left fairway is easy only in that it requires shorter drive to reach fairway, but left side of left fairway there tightens up by trees, plus right side there has creek making for a narrower fairway and besides a long drive could run out through that fairway. Going down the right fairway always seems to be best option since opens up the green to where not having to hit over front left greenside sand trap.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Gene-I'm looking at my original CD (I'm glad I kept my CD's!) My (what I think is the) original Caste Pines appears have more accurate elevations...still a few things that needed to be updated...I just don't know where the newer elevations came from!
Anyway, if nothing else the "neighbourhood needed to be upgraded to reflect the class of people living there now! :smile: