Pin positions at congressional c.c.

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
dgrobo2000

Pin positions at congressional c.c.

Post by dgrobo2000 »

I am currently selecting pin positions to play a 4 round tournament at congressional c.c. with firm/medium challenging greens. I have had a problem finding 4 playable pins on the 11th hole. The pins on the back section of the 18th are too close to the green edge or up on the slope. A pin position should be at least 9ft/3yds from the edge of the green. It's disappointing to not be able to select a pin at the back of the 18th green, as that is my desired last day position.
pmgolf

Re: Pin positions at congressional c.c.

Post by pmgolf »

I've currently got a course open on Links so I can't check but I can't help but wonder - which Congressional are you talking about? Congressional 2011 by Andrew Jones? At the World Tour over at LSPN I have a tournament there every year. 11's pins are 3,8,0,11. 18's pins are 9,3,15,1. And where did you get the idea that the minimum distance from the edge of the green for pins is 9 feet? This past year we used B F Mc, G M Fc, B F Fc, and B M Fc. :smile:

Pete
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Congresssional by AJ is a locked file and the USGA recommended minimal distance is 12 feet from the fringe
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I don't think he's thinking of taking Congressional 2011 into the APCD so the fact that it's locked shouldn't matter. It's available for download.

And, straight from the USGA: "We keep hole locations a minimum of five paces – approximately 15 feet – from the edges of a green. Many golfers are not aware that while there are rules about the size of the hole and the depth of the liner, there is no rule about how far from the edge of a putting green the hole must be located."

https://www.usga.org/course-care/foreth ... 20located.

That's what I had always heard, that there is no rule about how far from the green's edge a hole can be. Most players just say a reasonable distance, and consider that to be from 6 feet to 12 feet.

Pete