Windows 10 games list

Enough of the golf talk! Use this forum for other topics but no religion or politics.
Still Linksing

Re: Windows 10 games list

Post by Still Linksing » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:41 am

umanfly2boot wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:37 am
No One Lives Forever :
You do know the Producers of NOLF 1 , NOLF 2 , and Contract Jack - have been re released for 64 Bit Systems ...And its a Free Download .
Here is the Link : http://nolfrevival.tk/ :clapping: :clapping:
Hi,

I responded to this on the old forum. They are not the producers, just an unknown fan group who packaged the games together (it's kinda illegal btw lol) with community fixes. It's the same as someone providing Links 2003 with all patches etc in one download.

The HUGE problem with the NOLF series is the ownership is unknown and it's all a massive mess. It's why you can't buy the games and why they have never been released on platforms like Steam let alone updated/remastered. No one knows who has the legal rights to the games.
There was a little snippet of info that came out at least 12-24 months ago that suggested some progress was being made regarding getting the games out there again for purchase but there has been nothing since.

The games still work fine with a few fixes on likely any operating system. The issues I have on Win 10 appears to affect modern and powerful PC's with NOLF 1.
It appears once you start getting very high FPS due to the modern hardware, the game can't handle these huge increases in hardware technology. The results are stutters. I had minimal stutters on my less powerful Win 7 machine, now I have more stutters on my more powerful Win 10 machine so the theory appears to be correct.

NOLF 1 for smoothness I will play on my XP machine. I haven't tried NOLF 2 yet but it should be fine on the Win 10 machine hopefully.

Imo these are the best FPS games ever made. Pure fun to play. I hope at some point someone works out the ownership issues and then they can get to work on remastering and re-releasing these games. The market for them would be substantial.
aka Viper

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:27 am

After some playing, Win 10 has wiped out Links 2000, Links 2001 and Tiger Woods games for me.
All of them may have possible working fixes but I can see I could spend an endless amount of time trying to get them all running so I'm simply not going to worry about it.
Tiger Woods I just won't play again and the Links games can be run on my XP machine.
aka Viper

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:35 am

Ok, couldn't help myself, messed around and fixed Links 2001 totally. :thumbup:

Think I'll have to play with 2000 at some point and hopefully get it running.
aka Viper

Danny D

Post by Danny D » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:20 am

Still Linksing wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:35 am

Y'know, it seems like someone should be able to create a progr.... er, APP for Win10 that would emulate an older computer environment and allow older software to run within that environment. :whistle:

You were talking about Win 10 in another thread. Would you happen to know if it can be cloned to multiple hard drives to be used for drive swapping on the same machine, like I have always done with XP and 7?

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:18 am

Danny D wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:20 am
Still Linksing wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:35 am

Y'know, it seems like someone should be able to create a progr.... er, APP for Win10 that would emulate an older computer environment and allow older software to run within that environment. :whistle:
It's called a VM but pretty much useless until they manage to make graphics acceleration better.
Danny D wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:20 am
You were talking about Win 10 in another thread. Would you happen to know if it can be cloned to multiple hard drives to be used for drive swapping on the same machine, like I have always done with XP and 7?
I have no idea. I can't see why you couldn't. Any OS should only complain when hardware changes including Win 10.
I wouldn't think Win 10 for your purposes should behave any differently to past systems.
aka Viper

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:35 am

Danny,
If you intend to use your Win 7 key for Win 10 activation I'd be careful. As both your 2 operating systems running the same key will be used with an online PC and in use, it is possible MS may not allow this to occur. If you decide to try out Win 10, getting a completely independent Win 10 off eBay may be the best idea.

The last thing you would want is to find MS have blocked one operating system from working under the same key and you can bet your life the system they would block would be Win 7.
aka Viper

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:17 am

Update to this thread:

Links 2000. I have been making forward progress and have 2 avenues I intend to explore to try and make the game work. I have found why some people cannot even run setup on Win 10 to install the game and why there are one or two other issues. Due to my long work hours, I don't have much time to spend on this. I have 2000 happily running on XP for now. It likely won't be until my Christmas break before I devote any more time to it. Even if it becomes possible to run the game on Win 10, the Win 7 issues with animated flag and the recently found divot animation problems will almost certainly still be there for Win 10 just like they were for Win 7.

Links 2001. I cannot run it with hardware acceleration despite changing the registry values. This could be a card, driver or Win 10 specific issue due to a more recent update. Again, the old XP computer will be the solution for the time being and I'll eventually look into 2001 as well.

NOLF. I have found there is a level of stuttering on any OS. I have used a mouse fix for Win 10 for this game and it makes the game quite acceptable to run. Any stuttering now is virtually the same as it would be running the game on an XP system.

Everything else I have tried to run works fine under Win 10. Many games need work to achieve this. Win 10 is a real pain OS!
aka Viper

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Gotta say, I'm really enjoying running Links 2000 on the XP machine. Everything works as it's supposed too. The other thing I think I lost in Win 7 was the ball landing sound. It's very clear and obvious to me on the XP machine and I really can't remember ever hearing it on my Win 7 install.

Links 2000, Win XP and 1280x1024 non-widescreen monitor, just like the good old days! Why does time need to move forward??? :dunno: :laugh:
aka Viper

Danny D

Post by Danny D » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:40 am

Still Linksing wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:26 pm
Gotta say, I'm really enjoying running Links 2000 on the XP machine. Everything works as it's supposed too. The other thing I think I lost in Win 7 was the ball landing sound. It's very clear and obvious to me on the XP machine and I really can't remember ever hearing it on my Win 7 install.

Links 2000, Win XP and 1280x1024 non-widescreen monitor, just like the good old days! Why does time need to move forward??? :dunno: :laugh:
So Bill Gates can make some more money, you silly boy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Danny D

Post by Danny D » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 am

Danny D wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:40 am
Still Linksing wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:26 pm

So Bill Gates can make some more money, you silly boy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: