Making nice tee boxes?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
AJ Allen

Making nice tee boxes?

Post by AJ Allen »

Curious as to how designers get nice square or rectangle tee boxes? I have found that if I sharpen tee edges to 4, then it's not a nice effect, even though it pulls the texture into the right shape. But if I leave the edges at 0, then the tees are oval shaped. I have experimented with all sorts of things and not found anything that works well for me. So, any ideas?

A Links course like Augusta National 2006 which I played just the other day has exactly the sort of shape I was wanting to achieve.

Cheers, AJ
pmgolf

Re: Making nice tee boxes?

Post by pmgolf »

The course I'm working on has greens sharpened to 1, and the tee boxes are anything but round!

Pete
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

This is how I am doing the ones at Close House, though it's difficult to get them perfectly straight. Because of the bounding edges, no sharpening is needed. It all needs blends etc.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (394.53 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys...

I put together a video that will give you an idea of how to make the tee box corners sharper. Sorry for the large download. It's about 540MB. I didn't think it was worth putting on YouTube. You can get it from this link... You can skip any ads that pop up, and view it full screen by clicking the full screen box at the bottom right, pretty much like a YouTube video.

https://mega.nz/file/MVt1GLIY#p-UONWgcy ... NVNlZGNR5Q

Hope it helps,

Dan :cheers1:
Last edited by Andy on June 12th, 2020, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correcting GB should be MB
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Thanks Dan, I am downloading it now. When I read 540GB, I thought, wow, surely not? A full length movie usually comes in at less than 2. Thankfully, I see it's mb. whew :tiphat: Will watch it soon as I get it downloaded, thanks.
Cheers, AJ
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:notworthy: I do my Tee Boxes just like the one in Stephens post and they come out like this
Tee Boxes.png
Tee Boxes.png (126.62 KiB) Viewed 4430 times
Hope this helps
Derrick
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I have just finished watching Dan's video, and it helped a lot. I now know how to get them the way I want... or at least the theory, haven't actually tried it yet :tongue: But yeah, I can now see what I was doing wrong, all comes down to a few extra edges and turning them in the right places. I definitely recommend taking a peek at the video even if you have your own way of doing them. It's always good to see different ways of doing something eh.

Cheers, AJ
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi again Stephen,

Also gonna use your tee box method...!!!!!!

Nice..!!!!!

Also if you use "create Shape" and un-tick Freehand and river/cart path Tool you can make a four sided straight line affair to make your verts.....
tee-box.JPG
tee-box.JPG (38.41 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
Sage..... :smile: :clapping:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Sage :thumbup:

Tend to do most stuff by eye. I'm only doing the squared tee boxes as it's a "real" course.
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

A rule of thumb for making squares or rectangles is the closer the verts are to the 90 degree point the more square your shape will appear.