Roads and paths opinions

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Stephen Sullivan

Roads and paths opinions

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

On the course I'm working on at the moment, there are a lot of roads and cart paths, many of which seems to run one to another.

I have done paths using the extrude method, and using paths of aligned verts and edges. The second of these would be a lot of work in this case, but the extrude method could work.

What are other designers opinions, and do you do anything different?
Danny D

Re: Roads and paths opinions

Post by Danny D »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: May 14th, 2020, 7:34 am On the course I'm working on at the moment, there are a lot of roads and cart paths, many of which seems to run one to another.

I have done paths using the extrude method, and using paths of aligned verts and edges. The second of these would be a lot of work in this case, but the extrude method could work.

What are other designers opinions, and do you do anything different?
Hi Stephen. I'll offer my own personal opinion about cart paths...

Many times in the past when I was playing regular, me and partner Bruce would play a different course every day. As such we have came across many designs methods, including extruded cart paths. I love the way they look on a course. They certainly do add to the realism. The main complaint I had about them is that occasionally one of us would hit a shot that would land on the edge of an extrusion on a cartpath, and it would take a huge unnatural bounce off to the side, and many times put you in some kind of trouble. If it would have just landed on the flat surface instead of that sharp edge, it would have taken a natural line on the bounce and not off to the side. That was my only complaint. But then that can also happen IRL. I am not a fan of putting anything on a course that can cause unnatural bounces. Because of that I had made up my mind to not use extruded cartpaths.

I feel the same way when designers use extruded edges around fairways, greens and fringes, UNLESS they don't use steep 90° edges, and they soften the edges to 1 or 2. I find that the harder an edge is, the bigger and wilder the bounce will be when a ball lands directly on that edge. Not so much with softer edges.

It's all personal preferences really. I try to avoid creating anything that will punish a player due to an odd unnatural bounce. :smile:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Stephen Sullivan

On Wahat Al Saharaa, I extruded the paths, did the blend, then brought it back level again. I use this method for my other blends as well, so I may do that this time. It will mean getting all the paths in first though, and making sure I have all the verts in near them.
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Hi Stephen, good to talk to you again and I do hope you're doing well.

When numerous paths run together I create a small area that keeps the paths separate which would get a second texture similar or the same as I'm using for the cart path. An additional benefit is the path is broken up into sections which is beneficial if repairs are needed.

I'd advise against extruding cartpaths because of the black shadows that randomly come up in top view, I guess that could be mitigated some by pulling the verts away from the cartpath area. Case in point , the black marks have been so troublesome I'm removing mine from an entire course.
Stephen Sullivan

Thank you both for your input. Looks like I might have to put extra verts in then. Still have a lot of verts to add for levels before I get to texturing

Eddie, I doing well now my dad is settled in his assisted living, though the lockdown has meant we are limited to video chats, even though he lives under half a mile away, as they are all shielding due to covid-19 and them all being over 70. My dad is 80, with several health issues, so I would rather he be safe. It also keeps my anxiety levels down :thumbup:
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Great to hear that they are protecting the most vulnerable and you're doing well, Stephen!
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:notworthy: Hi Stephen good to hear you are still around. I to am on self
imposed lockdown. Two weeks ago my wife who is 90 was sent to hospital
from the care home she is in for a check up on low blood preasure. They
tested her on admission and she came up Positive with no symtoms showing
The care home also had no symptoms and they have been on lockdown for
some time. when they were told about my wife they were all tested and some
of the staff and residents have come up positive but are showing no symtoms
After two weeks in hospital my wife is doing fine and due for some tests to
see if she is clear. At no time as she shown any signs of Covid 19 ( Strange )
I hope your dad and everyone else as the same outcome.
Now back to Dans questions. I use the flat method, extruding is ideal for a
quick way to insert verts if you want a near vertical wall, but a bit of a pain
if you have to pull the verts out after for a near flat surface.I agree with the
comment about not doing anything that will punish the golfer for a shot that
is not a bad one. Not long ago I deleted a course that had a tree either left
or planted in the middle of the fairway at the landing spot. It was locked so
I could not remove the tree with APCD. Are there any real courses like this ?
Just out of interest below is how I set out the paths on one of my courses.
The first one shows the seam blend that runs all the way round the course.
Paths 1.png
Paths 1.png (825.55 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
I have never had any trouble with this and it covers quite a long distance.
The next one is the way I do the seam blends with no middle texture present
Lez said he did not like this method as it could cause problems if using the
Green Anylizer. ( Could it not be a fault within the Green Anylizer ) ??? as I
have never had or recieved any complaints about the way I do the seams
Paths 3.png
Paths 3.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 4034 times
The last one explains why I used a different number for each seam although
using the same texture. If the number is the same it will show both seams.
Paths 2.png
Paths 2.png (440.45 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
I hope this is of some interest to designers who are just starting with APCD
Keep safe
Derrick
Stephen Sullivan

Cheers Derrick. I will give the numbered textures a go I think. It may make things more manageable. I will just have to make sure I am consistent when I name things.

Hope your wife makes a good recovery and you both stay safe.
Stephen Sullivan

Out of interest, what do people do about the ends of paths? I have quite a few holes where the path go up to the forward tee, then stop.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: May 16th, 2020, 6:01 pm Out of interest, what do people do about the ends of paths? I have quite a few holes where the path go up to the forward tee, then stop.
Depends on your degree of realism and how much extra work that you want to put into your course. I have gone as far as creating cart tracks that fade out after about 10 yards to make it look more realistic. The type of tracks that you might see in the grass leading away from the end of a cart path. Something like this...

path.jpg
path.jpg (148.57 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added