Wahat Al Sahraa

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Pete

Re: Wahat Al Sahraa

Post by Pete »

Well done Stephen :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Looks really good Stephen. Will that third be a driveable par 4 then? Or driveable only from forward tees? Keep up the good work. Planting...I hate planting. I love the forest tool then play the course to fix stuff that looks funny, or too many clones in one area. Must also be why I like links-style courses. No trees, just forest plant grasses and gorse! Your Wahat reminds me of the Abu Dhabi GC that I've got on the go. Desert...with lakes!
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

The third is 467 from the back tee, down to 375 from the very forward tee. The tee shot is meant to be aimed toward the left hand bunker as the carry at it's longest would be about 310 yards, which is possibly doable IRL, but not in Links. I could move the bank etc to make the carry shorter, but I'm not sure if I will.

It is being built to use on one of the Middle East events on the European Tour I run at LSPN, possibly for the Abu Dhabi event.
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Can't wait! Any approximate date for completion? :thumbup:
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Stephen Sullivan

Captain Nemo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 7:44 pm Can't wait! Any approximate date for completion? :thumbup:
Not really sure. We are on lockdown in the UK, so the library I work at is closed for the moment. However my wife is doing her job as a legal secretary from home and is having to stay in all the time because of a health condition. I'm therefore doing all the dog walking and shopping and cooking, so fit in working on the course in between all that.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I'm in charge of cooking and all trips to the store for my diabetic wife! She's a sweetheart, though.

Pete
Stephen Sullivan

Well that's all the blending done and 18 pins quickly planted on each hole.

Now need to do some test planting off course on the textures I want to forest with grass etc to see what gives me the look I want. Then it will be on to drawing shapes and forest planting. Once that's done, i can hand plant or forest the palms and bushes.

Thanks to DannyD for the APCD with objects in, it saved me messing up a merge and has given me a mesh fence I can use to show the OB :thumbup:

One question. Do you prefer deep grass with or without planting?
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: April 21st, 2020, 11:35 amOne question. Do you prefer deep grass with or without planting?
Whatever looks best to you, based on the style of the course. Those Sheiks can afford a lot of maintenance people! :thumbup:

Pete
Blade

Post by Blade »

pmgolf wrote: April 21st, 2020, 11:32 pm
Stephen Sullivan wrote: April 21st, 2020, 11:35 amOne question. Do you prefer deep grass with or without planting?
Whatever looks best to you, based on the style of the course. Those Sheiks can afford a lot of maintenance people! :thumbup:

Pete
Maybe not anymore with the Plunge in Oil Prices :whistle: :rofl:
Stephen Sullivan

Desert "grassed" all over the course. Deep planted on the front 9 so far.

Tested the deep grass without planting and it takes about 30 yards in the air off a flopped 5 iron, which for me goes about 180 yards. You do get roughly the distance with the rollout, but that's no good if you need the carry :naughty:

Once fully grassed, I will test it out again