Looking at downloading the full game from links CC I've got a question

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Lyleman222

Looking at downloading the full game from links CC I've got a question

Post by Lyleman222 »

Hi

Can I ask is it worth paying a bit extra and downloading the game with all the official courses? Looks like there are a lot of user courses that are better looking!

Kind regards
AL
pmgolf

Re: Looking at downloading the full game from links CC I've got a question

Post by pmgolf »

Sorry - I misunderstood your post. The old courses are worth it like a '57 chevy is worth buying - especially if you once owned one. But worth it? It all depends on what you think of old stuff. :smile: I have played Links for 30 years and I would not buy them. The new courses are a better value by a mile! The look better, play better, and are a lot more realistic. And they're Free!

Pete
Last edited by pmgolf on March 22nd, 2024, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Lyleman222 wrote: March 20th, 2024, 9:20 pm Hi

Can I ask is it worth paying a bit extra and downloading the game with all the official courses? Looks like there are a lot of user courses that are better looking!

Kind regards
AL
Personally, I would just download version 1.07 from this page https://www.linkscountryclub.com/links-2003-v107

I have the CDs but had terrible trouble installing Links on my PC so I gave up and used the download.

Then you can download as many courses as you wish from here, the vast majority of which, are vastly superior to the original courses. IMHO

Andy
Lyleman222

Post by Lyleman222 »

Thanks andy
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

Lyleman222 wrote: March 20th, 2024, 9:20 pm Can I ask is it worth paying a bit extra and downloading the game with all the official courses? Looks like there are a lot of user courses that are better looking!
For a lot of us it's the nostalgia factor, I played these original official courses into the ground when they came out the first time from Access before the course creator existed. Many still don't have modern reworkings.
dko

Post by dko »

I get what John is saying here. I also really enjoyed those old courses and would occasionally go to the store to see if any new course CDs were available. As I would go away and come back to Links over the years and then discovered what our valued designers had created, I never went back to the original courses because of the detail, and in the cases of real courses, accuracy of the renditions that these folks had made.

It's entirely up to you Al, assuming you can get the game up and running on your Surface laptop. I tried on my Surface X but gave up and bought a relatively cheap Dell desktop just to play Links because I love the game so much. It came with Windows 11 and also wouldn't work with Links until the V**D** and DirectX patches solved everything.
Doug
Lyleman222

Post by Lyleman222 »

This is the problem won't run on my surface Pro 4 win 10 laptop have to run on my old win 7 beast not as good graphically but runs OK you bought another laptop didn't you?
dko

Post by dko »

When the game wouldn't run on my Surface Pro I bought a new desktop (actually a previous year model to save some money.)
Doug
Lyleman222

Post by Lyleman222 »

What operating system do you run?
dko

Post by dko »

Windows 11 Home with an onboard Intel processor. Again, for me, Links would still not work without precisely implementing the V**d** and Direct X fixes provided in the first sticky post of the Tech Corner section of the forum.
Doug