Simulator and Links...

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
calzzz01

Simulator and Links...

Post by calzzz01 »

Has anyone every looked into developing a way of getting Links to work with a golf launch monitor (like a Skytrak or Garmin R10)? It would be great to really "play" all the wonderful courses Links has to offer. I would think the launch monitor data would have to emulate a mouse for it to work.
Big Sexy JC

Re: Simulator and Links...

Post by Big Sexy JC »

I might be dating myself a bit here, but I've actually played a golf simulator using Links. When golf simulators were first created in the late 90s/early 2000s the physics engine that was used, or the software that the simulator was running was Links. I played two rounds on it in Atlanta. I believe one might have been at a Dave & Buster's and the other was at a golf course. I played Troon North and Bighorn.

It was very similar to the golf simulators today in that you basically hit into a big canvas screen that had the course displayed on it, but I don't think the ball flight physics were calculated like they are on today's launch monitors. I have no clue how it worked back then, but to answer your question, I'm 100% positive that Links was used on golf simulators at one time.
calzzz01

Post by calzzz01 »

That is fascinating and gives me hope! I would love to virtually play all these great links courses.
Big Sexy JC

Post by Big Sexy JC »

The problem with using Links on a launch monitor today is that it isn't true 3D. It's kind of a poor man's or redneck 3D. With the 3D options that are out there now and even more being made daily with the evolution of Trackman, it doesn't make sense to use Links. Now if the hardware to run these fancy 3D courses wasn't up to par then Links would make perfect sense, but in 2024 there is more than enough hardware technology to easily run 3D options.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I prefer playing the 2K21 or 2K23 series over Links because I get a better feel for actually being on the course with the 2024 3D capability those games have. The graphics on those games are just stunning. If I could choose those graphics vs. Links graphics to play on a simulator with, I'm choosing current day every day. This isn't a knock on any of the current course designers either. I think what they do with the technology Links uses is nothing short of remarkable. The fact that this forum still exists and all of us are still using Links for anything is completely attributable to those guys.
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Thanks for posting this the info:
"I prefer playing the 2K21 or 2K23 series over Links because I get a better feel for actually being on the course with the 2024 3D capability those games have. The graphics on those games are just stunning."
What does one need to play these games? I searched to find out, but the results were muddled and confusing. The one coherent post was " $59.99 U.S. for X-Box"
Thanks, Dave
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Big Sexy JC

Post by Big Sexy JC »

Dave,

I use Steam for all my "newer" PC gaming needs. Steam is basically a portal with a library of games that manages the installation, storage, licensing, etc. of PC games. Just install the Steam client on your PC and then search the library of available titles. The search results will tell you the minimum requirements needed to play a particular game and allow you to purchase and install the game right from the Steam client.

There are new release titles and older titles available through Steam. You can also get some pretty good deals throughout the year when they run sales.

I've attached my Steam library to give you an idea of titles. Keep in mind that I have a 15 year old son so some of the Star Wars and Sonic titles were played by him when he was younger. You will also see that I have an addiction for sports simulation games, but I thought the fact that I replayed the freaking history of the PGA using Links should have been evident enough to prove that point.
Attachments
SteamLibrary.png
SteamLibrary.png (156.25 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

WOW --and double WOW!
Guitarzan

Post by Guitarzan »

I have a good sized Steam library myself. I own PGA 2K1 and 2K3 myself and they are beautiful games graphically that are fun to play but missing a few elements that make them not my "go to" golf sim. The great thing about Steam is they always have sales on their games and you can get games for 50 to 90 per cent off at times.

sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I looked at some youtube vids of PGA 2k23 and the ball physics look real crapy. I would not play that game just for that reason. They really should put more effort into ball physics as they do with the realistic graphics.

Link 2003 is still KING.

Sage....... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Slattery

Post by Slattery »

E6 Connect Golf Simulator is the closest to Links 2003. Based off the original engine.
https://e6golf.com/