shadow are generated by top-views??

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
dorse72

shadow are generated by top-views??

Post by dorse72 »

I'm creating trees now for Harding Park, and I think the shadow is generated by the top view, but I'm not positive. I'm sure someone will chime in on this, I do want big shadows on this course also. The course was cleared of all the smaller trees and only the Monterrey Cypresses were left standing - well from what I can tell 99% of the interior course.

31 Monterrey Cypresses and counting, and will use on Olympic Club after this, so should be cool hopefully. They are all 1024 pixels tall, so I'm hoping this doesn't slow down the rendering too much, I'll see on my playtest next week. The clarity and resolution is so much better as I took the pics personally while there as a photographer. Cutting these out is painstaking to say the least, I can go into detail later if anyone is interested. Maybe someone has been down this road already, I'm not sure, I remember LeWaw? doing alot of this with good success. heres a quick sample, lighting is an issue of course, some were shadowed and hopefully that doesn't make a huge difference.
Attachments
Mont Cypress sample.jpg
Mont Cypress sample.jpg (50.32 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
dorse72

Re: shadow are generated by top-views??

Post by dorse72 »

Oh and I'm working on this guy too, I'm naming him Colossus hehehe :tongue:
Attachments
Mont Cypress 42-Āwhitu.jpg
Mont Cypress 42-Āwhitu.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 2634 times
mccoist

Post by mccoist »

I used to use an invisible planting that just had the shadow on it to get shadows on my courses where I wanted them.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

I like that idea, thanks!
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Mr Mccoist,
I used to use an invisible planting that just had the shadow on it to get shadows on my courses where I wanted them.
Can you tell me how you created a shadow and added the shadow file to the object Top View database?

Thank you,
Ian
mccoist

Post by mccoist »

I can't remember well now, I think it was just a 2d object that was either nothing or just 1 pixel, then I added a shadow to it in the top view.