Course Requests

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
1PuttJeff

Re: Course Requests

Post by 1PuttJeff »

I would love to see someone update the "Apple Tree Golf Club" course that is located in Yakima, Washingon that Jack Hartt originally created many years ago! :thumbup:
bear2016

Post by bear2016 »

Baresbac is a great course. Bro Hof is a good one too. Just dont like playing it from the back tee's. It's way to long from back there.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

After Ian's Crooked Stick there's nothing to criticize IMHO. We don't have many APCD masters and I don't think we should piss them off (too much). That's why I send any nitpicks vis=a PM now...and I haven't done much nitpicking recently.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

I'm finishing Olympic, then Riviera off, both about 50% i think, that should make a few happy I'd think? both amazing courses. after that I'd like to do my own fictional course, something I've never done but looking forward to. I'm in love with Hirono in Japan, but I don't think there is good elevation info. St George's, Kingston Heath, and Royal County Down I love also, played RCD, was amazing, best course I've ever seen hands down
linkster

Post by linkster »

Out of all the courses mentioned here so far I have done DEM imports for myself of Congaree and Royal Liverpool (and Royal Troon).

Congaree fits my course design preference of a fast, running, modern links course and that is why I looked at it. I hope to get around to finishing the course someday but it is just not that exciting of a course. Mostly flat and greens that generally have only gentle slope. It is a course that rewards good long iron shots.

Royal Liverpool is a great Open venue but it is generally too flat to be interesting. It reminds me of Pinehurst No 2 with the turtle back greens (I did a DEM import of Pinehurst 2 as well; can't decide if it is worth pursuing). I found recent 2022 lidar data for the course but whoever categorized the points left out ground points that really need to be included to capture the green surrounds and bunker depths. I would like to have The Open and The US Open venues available for play each year but Royal Liverpool would require some guessing of the bunker depths and that made me overlook the course, at least for now.

Royal Troon has a lidar DEM available from 2009. It doesn't capture the course tweaks from the last 2016 Open or the tweaks planned for next year's Open. As with Royal Liverpool the course can be done with a DEM as a great starting point but there would need to be adjustments for the best accuracy.

I have played a few rounds on Ian's Pasatiempo and the course looks and plays great. It is not worth my time even looking up what DEM data is available. When I first got good results from DEM imports I thought the sky was the limit and we could all go back and redo courses for the best accuracy. Then I made the effort to get a course completed from scratch in the APCD and I realized how much time and effort designers put into their creations. It certainly humbled me and made me approach course designs with more sensitivity to what others have worked on.

As always, if there is a course out there that someone wants to tackle with a DEM just give me a shout.