Links 2K3 may crash with AMD Radeon Driver 23.8.1

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
john_iv

Links 2K3 may crash with AMD Radeon Driver 23.8.1

Post by john_iv »

This is from Sage's Sequoyah thread but will x-post it here in the right board.

Starting with the latest release of 23.8.1. one of the long standing (3 years) graphic corruptions with AMD cards and Links2K3 was fixed (polygon spike at golfer's ankle). Unfortunately, this build also now seems to crash with a variety of different courses when it comes time to redraw after a shot. As below I have reported it to AMD and posted in their forums. It's very odd as it only seems to happen on certain holes of the courses in question. Anyhow, if you're on a dedicated/discrete AMD card with that driver version and you crash, maybe add your findings to the thread on the AMD forums.

Note: To get to the previous version 23.7.2 which works, there is a 'Previous Driver' button in under the main drop down info window for the current driver.

---
Adelade, I've submitted a bug report to AMD and posted on their support forum about it. I'm sure they'll get right on the crash in a 20 year old game. ;-)
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-so ... 20#M179511

I was able to go to the Adrenaline download page and get 23.7.2 which is the last driver package which works (there is a previous drivers link in the middle somewhat hidden). This solved the crashing but continues to show a bug I reported 3 years ago with them about a white polygon 'spike' coming out of the golfer's ankle, laugh.
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-so ... 49#M119924

Current 23.8.1 solved that spike issue but caused the crashes. One step forward, two steps back. :)
g3b

Re: Links 2K3 may crash with AMD Radeon Driver 23.8.1

Post by g3b »

Hello John,
Has there been any progress using AMD graphics cards & drivers pertaining to random course crashes? I finally went to the used market ebay and picked up a Nvidia 2060 which is a little slower than the 6600 amd card, but plays links ok.

Sincerely,
g3b Gil :cheers1:
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

Unfortunately the problem still exists with the latest Radeon driver 23.12.1.
I can't say for certain if the problem exists outside the NAVI generation cards of which I have one (5600XT) which is a bit older now (circa 2020).
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

Good news, amazingly it looks like this was resolved with the latest Radeon driver 24.1.1 which came out a few days ago. I've tested about 15 of the courses that used to crash before, and they play all the way through. I have closed the issue on the AMD forum.