BC FIRES

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Jimbo

BC FIRES

Post by Jimbo »

I know that in the big picture it's not the most important issue but Whistler is still safe...let's put it this way-if Whistler is in trouble so is Vancouver.
dko

Re: BC FIRES

Post by dko »

Hoping for the best Jimbo. As a fellow West Coaster (albeit below the border), I understand the concern.
Doug
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Alaska and the Northwest Territories are in trouble too...this is heading toward the Arctic Circle-seriously...it may already be too late for global warming deniers to say "sorry"...is somebody is working on a better "air drop foam" than they're using now maybe they should take a chance and shorten their research.

And once "summer" comes to Tranzac...I guess if it's any consolation Australia has a huge desert and all the major cities are on the coasts. I' yield to our Aussies and Kiwis to comment.

Right now a lot of things look small compared to Maui.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Yes, heading into another summer down under where we all hold our breath.

It can be hard for us here to imagine wild fires raging through Canada. The mind fills with cold, snow and ice, forgetting how big Canada is and the vast forests that go with it. Thoughts are with everyone affected by this tragedy.

Of all the natural disasters, fire has to be the worst. The fear and helplessness it incites, the devestation it causes and the aftermath it leaves. The images of dead animal carcasses from the fires on the south coast of NSW a few years ago, many of them trapped against fences unable to escape is something hard to forget.

And of course the most terrible aspect is that not all fires are natural. As terrible as earth quakes, tornados, floods, hurricanes etc, etc are, it's pretty hard for an idiot with a spark to start one of them...

:cheers1:
T
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Whistler is now Category 5 (Extreme-no fire of any kind allowed), although it's now taking in people who have been ordered towns to the north. Vancouver is Category 4 (High). The Spanish firefighters now have their own problem in the Canary Islands and are heading home. Eastern Canada has received rain recently and isn't in danger, but the smoke is making its way across the entire continent.

We're listed as High as well on the Island-we had a relatively small fire last week. The town of Tofino (the only town on the west coast of the Island) is rated as Category 4-and there's only one road out of town to the east Island. It's a bit of a resort town-most visitors fly in...people may have to fly out.

And now Hurricane Hillary...I could be sarcastic and say that we could use Hilary in northern BC. (only without the wind) and now Yellowknife (capital of the Northwest Territories). Frankly I'm very pleasantly surprised that the Yukon Territory has avoided things for now.

I'm thinking that this will be around for a VERY long time...global warming is making its presence felt and it's too late to anyone t say that they didn't think that it was real.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Jimbo wrote: August 16th, 2023, 2:24 am I know that in the big picture it's not the most important issue but Whistler is still safe...let's put it this way-if Whistler is in trouble so is Vancouver.
I lived in Kelowna in 1980 for about 5 months (even picked wine grapes! Until I cut my hand open with a ring knife :laugh:) Then I found a teaching job in Likely, about 65 miles NE of Quesnel. That was the toughest teaching job I'd ever have, and that includes 5 years in a federal prison. Kelowna will always be under threat of forest fires; it's in the interior, very little rainfall between the mountain ranges, and this is NOT about climate change. All their water for orchards and vineyards comes out of Lake Okanagan. It hardly ever rains there, and that goes for all of the "interior". Interestingly, in 1980 there was just one golf course (which I played), Gallagher's Canyon. The last time I looked, there were at least 12. It will be interesting to see what happens to the city; I see the entire city of Yellowknife has been ordered to evacuate, almost 20,000 people.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Duck Hook wrote: August 18th, 2023, 8:55 am Yes, heading into another summer down under where we all hold our breath.

It can be hard for us here to imagine wild fires raging through Canada. The mind fills with cold, snow and ice, forgetting how big Canada is and the vast forests that go with it. Thoughts are with everyone affected by this tragedy.

Of all the natural disasters, fire has to be the worst. The fear and helplessness it incites, the devestation it causes and the aftermath it leaves. The images of dead animal carcasses from the fires on the south coast of NSW a few years ago, many of them trapped against fences unable to escape is something hard to forget.

And of course the most terrible aspect is that not all fires are natural. As terrible as earth quakes, tornados, floods, hurricanes etc, etc are, it's pretty hard for an idiot with a spark to start one of them...

:cheers1:
T
I have a good friend in LA-I've been trying to reach him...so far nothing...
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Kelowna has 150,000 people. The only good thing is it's widely spread out, you pretty much need a car to get anywhere. But it's always bone-dry there, the water they pump out of the Okanagan is used mostly for the vineyards and orchards, not much lawn-watering going on.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I find it hard to believe that they're letting people return to Kelowna. Among the talk about Yellowknife and Alaska, I find it interesting (fortunately) that nothing has been heard from the Yukon.
Meanwhile Southern California (and now Vegas are feeling the wrath of Hilary, who won't make it to the border.
And the east is receiving rain that would come in handy around.
Yesterday was the worst "smoky day" on the island.