Planting mystery

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
EJ55

Re: Planting mystery

Post by EJ55 »

I've had something similar to this happen to me, planting objects showing up different, not seeing objects planted, just weird stuff. Deleting all objects and doing a fresh install did it for me. I'd encourage anyone planting to have a specific planting set for the course they are working on. As many can attest 2d planting bugs can be the most frustrating things we encounter in this program.

Best of luck!
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I’ve also seen the sets do unusual things but not showing up is something I haven’t seen, hope you get it sorted out :fcrossed:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Colin Jones wrote: July 29th, 2023, 12:54 am Hi Danny

Following the "disappearance", nothing can be selected in those areas and nothing shows in game play either.
Now I think that I may have set it up just using copying and pasting the "APCD with 2001 Object Library"
But are the ones that you used objects from the 2001 planting set, or the 2003 ? Les says he doesn't use 2001 2D objects because he believes some of them to be corrupt. Have you tried planting a lot of different objects from both libraries ? or perhaps playing around with the course elevation ?. I've been copying and pasting my APCD's for several years. Never had any issues with them. I have 5 copies that I use for various functions.
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Danny D wrote: July 29th, 2023, 10:21 pm

Following the "disappearance", nothing can be selected in those areas and nothing shows in game play either.
Now I think that I may have set it up just using copying and pasting the "APCD with 2001 Object Library"
But are the ones that you used objects from the 2001 planting set, or the 2003 ? Les says he doesn't use 2001 2D objects because he believes some of them to be corrupt. Have you tried planting a lot of different objects from both libraries ? or perhaps playing around with the course elevation ?. I've been copying and pasting my APCD's for several years. Never had any issues with them. I have 5 copies that I use for various functions.
I have tried various sources for plants. Tried drastic elevation changes to the areas affected. Nothing changes.
Interestingly, my 2D Object count continues to rise - almost 17,000 objects even when I have deleted all 2D Objects from the course.
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Colin Jones wrote: July 30th, 2023, 9:57 pm
Danny D wrote: July 29th, 2023, 10:21 pm

I have tried various sources for plants. Tried drastic elevation changes to the areas affected. Nothing changes.
Interestingly, my 2D Object count continues to rise - almost 17,000 objects even when I have deleted all 2D Objects from the course.
I don't agree with Lez on not using the 2001 set, yes there are some objects that are corrupted, the flowers and some of the plants are most definitely a problem but if you skip using those there are a number of good objects for your use. I have been thinking about this and it does remind me of a problem someone had years ago, it may have been Jon but I can't remember exactly.

I tried the copy and paste install that Danny uses but have not had any luck, especially after I installed the mod. I always go with a install from the CD, some of which I have used on a large number of courses before they started to get buggy.

I feel with the APCD it is always a matter of when and what will go wrong next.

Glenn
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Have tried everything. Even created a 3D grassed area from terrain and tried to plant on top of that! No go.

Have been tempted to retire from the APCD for the 15th time in 12 years! But have decided take-on Glenn's philosophical approach and accept this is just part of the crapshoot that is the APCD. If there are even more problem planting areas and it just gets too hard to create a genuine Royal Sydney, I'll give up. Until then........

Thanks for the ideas and support Designers!

btw the original plot from the DEM file with the overhead and some early shapes is absolutely fine. So the one thing I do know is that I created the problem along the way, it wasn't always inherent in the file. So an early test plant may not be much insurance.

Colin
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Sorry to hear what has happened mate. At such a late point into the build it really is a kick in the balls.

:sad:
T
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Colin, can you go back to a previously saved file and try planting on that, Sometimes going back to a former save that works, if so you can think about what you may have done since then and figure out the problem. Could be some work though.

Glenn
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

braden1308 wrote: August 1st, 2023, 9:58 am Colin, can you go back to a previously saved file and try planting on that, Sometimes going back to a former save that works, if so you can think about what you may have done since then and figure out the problem. Could be some work though.

Glenn
I got sick of all those (20 or so) back-ups taking up so much space. So, when doing this course, I deleted them all. I have just been using 4 files which I rotate and save over. The oldest of them would only be about 7 days and was still affected by the same mystery.

Your post got me thinking tho Glenn. So, as a long shot, I checked my Recycle Bin. All of the 20-or-so old CRZs were still there! Restored them all and then test-planted one from a few months ago, and it actually seems fine. Hard to believe. Yes, there's now alot of catch-up work to be done (my little tennis stadium will now need to be rebuilt) but I think I will do it. Should be much quicker second time around anyway.

Thanks mate!
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I love the way all the guys here gather 'round someone who's having problems to help get it fixed! I hope the answer has been found!

Pete