Australian courses

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
sagevanni

Re: Australian courses

Post by sagevanni »

Colin, it looks like there is no or very few APCD extrusion shadowing on your 3D work. How do you handle that issue?

Sage..... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Hey Sage

Scaling and extruding later can be a little painful, so I always try and add in initial extra verts (in the "corners") wherever I can. I sketch out whatever part of the building I am working on by hand with all the measurements. But no matter who much planning - there's always alot of trial and error - like most of the APCD I think. Alot of times there is just no way around "select, extrude, scale, re-texture, map" - once you get into a routine you can do it quite quickly.

Some textures hide the shadows better than others.

How you do so many courses is baffling to me Sage. I have finished 2 in a decade and can't hold my motivation together for more than 3 months at a time!
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Colin,
Thanks for the info.
I just have way too much time on my grubby little hands. That's all I'm gonna say as any more info is dangerous territory.......LMAO....!!!!!!

Sage...... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

You've already given more than enough information.......

:laugh: :laugh:

:cheers1:
T
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Colin Jones wrote: August 6th, 2023, 10:41 pm Another thing - this is why I believe that Linkster has totally changed APCD-design for RL courses. These "undulating bits" (see pix) are everywhere around the Sydney green complexes and previously each one would have taken countless hours just to get close to being accurate, even with a 10M DEM.

It's going to be a real feature of these types of courses in the future, coz I'd argue we've rarely (if ever) seen it in Links before. I think everyone will notice the difference as soon as they start playing one of these 2-3M DEM designs.

Even those legendary designers, who did some of those incredible Links-style Scottish courses 20 years ago, they could have only dreamed of this (not to mention the time-saving aspect)!

I have not changed a thing here from the original 2M DEM.............

RSGCCHHills.jpg

Agree the Linkster ...deserves his username....tbh he's raised the bar entirely...mucho respect to the Linkster...I mean this guy prob has a busy life...and he takes the time out to revolutioize an old classic like Links/plus put together some tuts for fellow designers = class act...regards Australian courses...I play two on-and off....2 really well finished courses...forget the designers name...1 Huntingdale 2 Waterstone
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Jason Thorpe, AKA Jasonanne, is the designer Morvio. I agree, 2 outstanding Aussie courses.

I think for me Wayne Hewitt's Crooked Creek is probably the best Aussie style course ever built, magnificent in every way
bear2016

Post by bear2016 »

duck hook my only complaint wayne hewitts crooked creek is the bunkrs are to unrealistic they play like concrete. but that's my only complaint about the course
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Yeah, it was a divisive issue. Under the right circumstances your ball could end up going round and round like water going down a drain.
I can't remember but I assume the sand textures were made that way because the bunkers were deep and steep walled and that way the ball would always come to rest on the bunker floor and not remain stuck halfway up a vertical face

:cheers1:
T
fiver

Post by fiver »

Well, I've had a few of those for real. They are a bitch to escape from.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

bear2016 wrote: August 11th, 2023, 4:15 pm duck hook my only complaint wayne hewitts crooked creek is the bunkrs are to unrealistic they play like concrete. but that's my only complaint about the course

Interesting you say that...I noticed on one of the 2 I played on 1/.Waterstone 2/Huntingdale...forget which...but if I hit a drive and it lands in the bumker....on occassion it will skim the surface and pop out back on to the fairway...in other word the bunker is not retaining/capturing.....the ball.....now this may well be in keeping with the IRL behaviour ....I dont know the type of sand used in said bunkers....ie hard/soft...maybe the Australian sun really dries up that sand ..lol...who knows...there again I hit a lot of punch drives.....lower elveations/speed when the ball hits the bunker surface ...who knows......maybe I'm reading to much into this lol....be great if designers could leave OPEN an option to config bunker properties EVEN IF THE COURSE ITSELF IS LOCKED....