Australian courses

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Colin Jones

Re: Australian courses

Post by Colin Jones »

View from 18th green
View from 18th green
RSGClub1.jpg (249 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
First tee
First tee
RSGClub2.jpg (291.31 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Great work Colin! :clapping: :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Amazing work Colin.... :clapping:

In the real world I could see me snap hooking one straight into the clubhouse off that 1st tee.... :scared: :laugh:

Just a question for you, or any of the others who are highly talented at 3D stuff. When you are doing a complex building such as that is it made up of mostly seperate pieces moved into place or do you try to keep it mostly as one structure? The second option seems impossible to me... :dunno:

:cheers1:
T
Last edited by Duck Hook on August 6th, 2023, 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Hey mate

Definitely singles pieces, for me, for something this big. I try to keep them in the largest pieces possible, but it's just not feasible to try a do something like this as a single entity. Just don't use the rear entrance to this clubhouse (still a construction zone where you can't see :smile: )

When I did the Banff Springs clubhouse, I built it nearly all as one piece, except for the roof. It was much smaller but I still had to tear it down and re-build it repeatedly. But I was so happy with what I completed finally - I thought it was beautiful.

Irony is that I only realised later that players would only ever see it reasonable closely if they happened to land on a certain spot on the 9th green. Seemed alot of effort for nothing. So I like that this will, at least, be seen.

Here's the real one.
RSGCCH.jpg
RSGCCH.jpg (111.7 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Attachments
RSGCCHCJ.jpg
RSGCCHCJ.jpg (269.99 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Yeah, that makes sense.

Comparing those pictures, yeah not too bad I suppose.... :laugh: That clubhouse and surrounds is superb. Going to look great in game.

Good luck with the remaining work !

:cheers1:
T
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Colin,
Being in the process of building the clubhouse for Crooked Stick, I can only be in total awe of what you have produced, utterly amazing. :notworthy:
Irony is that I only realised later that players would only ever see it reasonable closely if they happened to land on a certain spot on the 9th green. Seemed a lot of effort for nothing. So I like that this will, at least, be seen.
I have the same feelings, especially when I am going through a difficult phase of the building. :rant:

Ian
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

That's a gorgeous clubhouse with the same problem as St. George's in Toronto...you have to hit a really (and I mean REALLY) bad shot to appreciate the magnificent work that the guys did on a magnificent clubhouse!

BTW, congrats to the Lions...I remember the "bad old days". Even the Suns are coming to life! :thumbup:
As far as "bad days" are concerned I hope that the Bombers didn't make matters worse by singing their song after that "effort" against the Eagles! :fear: :fear:
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Jimbo wrote: August 6th, 2023, 9:23 pm
BTW, congrats to the Lions...I remember the "bad old days". Even the Suns are coming to life! :thumbup:
As far as "bad days" are concerned I hope that the Bombers didn't make matters worse by singing their song after that "effort" against the Eagles! :fear: :fear:
Just a note Jimbo that my current location has no bearing on which AFL team I support! I can barely tolerate the Suns, but don't even get me started about the Lions.... :nono: :smile:
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Another thing - this is why I believe that Linkster has totally changed APCD-design for RL courses. These "undulating bits" (see pix) are everywhere around the Sydney green complexes and previously each one would have taken countless hours just to get close to being accurate, even with a 10M DEM.

It's going to be a real feature of these types of courses in the future, coz I'd argue we've rarely (if ever) seen it in Links before. I think everyone will notice the difference as soon as they start playing one of these 2-3M DEM designs.

Even those legendary designers, who did some of those incredible Links-style Scottish courses 20 years ago, they could have only dreamed of this (not to mention the time-saving aspect)!

I have not changed a thing here from the original 2M DEM.............
RSGCCHHills.jpg
RSGCCHHills.jpg (264.43 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I completely agree Colin. We are now able to create course's with accuracy not seen before. Thank you Linkster!