SHAUGHNESSY FOR APCDers

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Danny D

Re: SHAUGHNESSY FOR APCDers

Post by Danny D »

hopeless@golf wrote: September 13th, 2023, 12:34 am For what it's worth I think it would be cool if someone took this course and upgraded it
Hi hopeless. Is that the one I started you off on with the double overlays?? :unsure:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Adelade,
I certainly appreciate your positive comments on the things that I've learned using the APCD so far. But I feel like I can't truly consider myself a "designer" until I complete a course from start to finish. I lack the skills to do all the painstaking, bare-bones work of the actual "building" of the course, even though I'm pretty good at manipulating and choosing textures, colors , plantings, etc. I've made some changes to a few older APCD designs that were unlocked, and that the original designer is no longer available to gain permission from. But I have NO intention of modifying someone's design and then trying to "re-release" it and adding my credit. My efforts are simply to satisfy MY particular tastes and choices, and are solely for my collection.

Sure, I'd like to share some of what I've done with the community, but I think I'd be breaking sort of a "unwritten" protocol not to tamper with another designer's work ( even though they ARE unlocked ). I sort of feel like I'm doing the same type of thing that Lez Marwick is doing with his updates of older courses, aside from the fact that he's FAR more accomplished and skilled than I am ( after all, he's compiled the master tutorial for the APCD ). And he
most likely has permission and alerts the LINKS community prior to making those updates. ( heck....I don't even know the process used to upload a course to Links Corner ).

One thing I absolutely do NOT want to do is alienate the members of the LINKS community, especially the designers, by enjoying what I like to do with the APCD knowledge I do have. I'd appreciate some feedback, both on Adelade's comments and on mine......but maybe this is the wrong thread in which to do that.
hopeless@golf

Post by hopeless@golf »

No Danny that was Angus Glenn the North Course, that one I have all elevated using elevations from Google Earth, tee boxes, fairways and greens are all laid out and just default texturing done. Unfortunately, the motorcycle bug grabbed a hold of me, and I haven't touched the APCD in years. Of course, that fun came to an end at the end of this summer with a severe back injury so both of my Harleys are now parked and put in storage. Hopefully get back on Angus Glenn this winter not much else to do up here in the Great White North.
hopeless@golf

Post by hopeless@golf »

Weeler feel free to try and do something with the course, that was why I left it unlocked with the hope that someone with more skills than I possessed at the time would touch it up.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'm no APCD'er (yet) so I can't comment on the technical changes.
As I said I have a collection of pictures from last month's LPGA Canadian Open, including buildings and tournament objects...
...just FYI... :whistle:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Mike and Wheeler-there's a PM that can hardly wait for you to read! :cheers1:
hopeless@golf

Post by hopeless@golf »

Jimbo thanks for the offer but its way beyond my APCD abilities to do anything more than what I did with the course, I have all the versions from start to finish if someone wanted to start revamping it before the planting was started. Personally, I think it would be better to start from scratch if Linkster was able to provide someone with one of his Lidar layouts at least that way all of the elevations would be a whole closer than what I accomplished
linkseeker

Post by linkseeker »

Gave a donation and downloaded this course. Nice course but no bird sound or tournament objects. Tends to lack finer detail compared with some others I have. Good job though.
Titus

Post by Titus »

The preferences are so different,
I love playing without these tournament objects, they take all the flair out of the place.
Birdsong - well, some of them are quite annoying, so I prefer without it,
I prefer to listen to music while playing.

For me, Shaughnessy is perfect as is. :thumbup:

Ps. maybe this is for bird lovers - https://www.heymartin.com/lsa/2003scripts.htm
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I really didn't hear many bird songs either.
I also didn't hear anything coming from the airport-the landing path comes from the south and takeoffs go east, so that would explain it-you can't see it from anywhere on the course either. It's a long walk from the entrance is a long way from Marine Drive to the clubhouse which, as I mentioned earlier is more "Banff" than "St. George's" (except for the tennis courts).
The tournament objects are an add-on on the home screen. The layout as it stands is damn near perfect-my nitpicks are minor-mainly a large building (either the cart storage or indoor practice facility-it was used as the media centre) and the dropoff to the Fraser.
I have officially started my first course (also in Vancouver) and, if I think that if I've done a decent job, I'd like to send an Alpha to the folks at the Sage organization for their nitpick. It only has 6 pins per hole...and one helluva view of Vancouver...if I can find a good pano (I think I can).
I'm aware that these things can take a long time to do, but I'm following Lez's tutorials-and there are some new graphic programs that will hopefully speed things up.

Also, I'd really like to have a copy of the Hamilton Beta course...I think I can get the tournament objects in place for this year's Canadian Open (Golf Canada considers Hamilton to be the western boundary of Canada). I lost my BETA when my old system bit the dust-I know it's out there somewhere...there weren't many things to nitpick, as I recall.

Anyway that's where I stand-I plan on keeping north of the border-there a lot of Stanley Thompson work up here that need to be done. :thumbup: