LACC

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
braden1308

Re: LACC

Post by braden1308 »

linkster wrote: June 17th, 2023, 12:38 am Try this for hole 11:

Define the hole to be about 260-270 yards. "center of tee" will be short of the desired back tee but "center of green" should be placed properly to get the proper scorecard yardage. Plant the tees and pin positions. This all needs to be done in a single APCD session since it uses the longer than standard 250 yard distance and cannot be moved after.

It seems like the "center of green" distance to the tees is capped at 300 yards and the "center of tee" distance to the pins is also capped at 300 yards, but if you define the hole shorter you can "cheat" to allowable distances to get over the 300 yards necessary.
I tried just about everything, nothing is working. Everything I try something is causing the program to crash. I have tried on two different computers and I have the same issue on both. But thank you anyway. I have been doing this longer than most of the members here have been around and I know mostly all of the tricks and have tried them all. One of the other problems is that the one of the methods I used caused the loss of the back tee when I was able to plant pins on the entire green, so I am forced to choose the lesser of two evils.

I think that maybe I discovered the issue too late in the design process and should have addressed it at the beginning. I kept having to go back and forth
because I was either loosing tees or pins or it just crashed on me.

I may come up with something before the final is ready but no promises, each save is running 20 - 30 minutes, so every time I think of an another option to fix the hole I have to save a another backup before I proceed incase of a corruption crash.

:fcrossed:
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

This is a good reminder for all of us that the hard work and effort put into designing courses on APCD goes far beyond what we end up seeing on our screens. It's a 20 year old software tool and has its quirks and challenges, which I personally have tried and failed use let alone master as Glenn and others have.

Thank you very much Glenn (and Sage and all the other designers) for all of the time, creativity and effort you have put into building APCD course and also for being kind and generous to share them with the community.

:clapping: :cheers1:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

ColinC wrote: June 17th, 2023, 9:24 pm This is a good reminder for all of us that the hard work and effort put into designing courses on APCD goes far beyond what we end up seeing on our screens. It's a 20 year old software tool and has its quirks and challenges, which I personally have tried and failed use let alone master as Glenn and others have.

Thank you very much Glenn (and Sage and all the other designers) for all of the time, creativity and effort you have put into building APCD course and also for being kind and generous to share them with the community.

:clapping: :cheers1:
Thank you Colin, I am working on the course as I watch the tv coverage. I am also going to see if the PGA tour website might have the pin positions.
I also see I have to move the back tee on #1, linkster did tell me that the USGA was going to do that, but I forgot and did not see anything about the hole playing out at 590 yards until today.
badgolfer1

Post by badgolfer1 »

braden1308 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 8:06 pm
Jimbo wrote: June 16th, 2023, 7:44 pm How about just making just making those "baranca" areas where you've "manufactured" the sand a penalty area?
Play it where it lies :yes:
Jimbo is totally off base here as there has been talk by announcers of what barranca areas were meant to play as and the costly work involved just for them alone under supervision of Gil Hanse in preparation for this year's US Open. For players in tournament or just an everyday round playing by rules of golf if shot winds up in red or yellow staked off penalty area there is option for player to play ball as it lies if able to do so---that is without grounding their club when addressing the ball in the hazard area. If the player has bad luck and incurs a bad enough lie where unable in their discression to hit a decent shot---there is still the option for them to take penalty shot and drop into a more favorable lie in which to hit from. The Links game does not allow choice and forces player always to take a one shot penalty if in red or yellow staked off penalty area and either drop behind where ball entered penalty area or to the side no closer to hole for the lateral yellow penalty area. Glenn Braden was absolutely correct in his choice not to agree with Jimbo that Glenn had made a major mistake. Another of Jimbo's quotes, (((It looks like there isn't a texture for barranca (where you can take a penalty stroke)-it appears to be the major "problem area" on the course. Apparently the same texture also exists at Riviera-who knew? :scared:)))
Luenz

Post by Luenz »

Hi, just played a round.

Great effort... thank you very much for sharing your work. :clapping:
:cheers1:

I'm not sure:
- Hole 16, Back Tees on the right side are 2 Trees. Does one of them stand on the Cart-Path?

Thanks again
Derek
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Luenz wrote: June 17th, 2023, 11:29 pm Hi, just played a round.

Great effort... thank you very much for sharing your work. :clapping:
:cheers1:

I'm not sure:
- Hole 16, Back Tees on the right side are 2 Trees. Does one of them stand on the Cart-Path?

Thanks again
Derek
Thanks Derek,

I'll take a look at the trees, 32,000+ 2D objects planted and you had to find the one out of place :thumbup:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

aybe this is the wrong time to say that the Nitpicker has some observations that, given what you've done will probably end in the "digital trashcan". This is an absolutely memorable job....and, as they say it will strictly for your consideration.
BTW.
, I thought that Lionel Ritchie's house was adjacent to the 4th hole...not that it paralleled it from tee to green...lucky it's only a Par 3...

Speaking of barancca, I wasn't able to see the full coverage but as I'm typing this Wyndham Clark...😀
linkster

Post by linkster »

The USGA US Open twitter feed has the pin positions. I downloaded them if you want a copy.

That first tee on the practice green with the flowers in front just doesn't look right to me. I would have expected the USGA to at least move the flowers for the week but maybe they didn't have permission. :laugh:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

linkster wrote: June 18th, 2023, 5:58 pm The USGA US Open twitter feed has the pin positions. I downloaded them if you want a copy.

That first tee on the practice green with the flowers in front just doesn't look right to me. I would have expected the USGA to at least move the flowers for the week but maybe they didn't have permission. :laugh:
Hi Daniel,

I would appreciate a copy of the pin positions, easier than trying to use the PGA website.

The flowers look very odd teeing off over them in game.

Glenn
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

2023 US Open - pin positions for all 4 rounds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtv6fmlxa4urr ... s.zip?dl=0

Pete