How to get rid of the 'Links green sky"

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
FOOOOORE!

How to get rid of the 'Links green sky"

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Can anyone give me a quick solution to this problem? I used to know all this a couple of years ago, but that was pre-stroke :laugh: . I'm running Links on a Core I7 hp laptop with integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600. I have all the Links updates installed, but still the green sky and 'strange' views after the ball is struck.
Big Sexy JC

Re: How to get rid of the 'Links green sky"

Post by Big Sexy JC »

I believe the solution to that used to be to change the name of your skies folder to skies.bak or skies.initials, etc.. This forced the game to use a single generic sky file and not randomly pick from the ones within the skies folder.

For example: Normal path below.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\skies

Corrected path to resolve your issue.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\skies.bak
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

ok thanks, I'll give that a try.

(That does work, thanks very much. I'm willing play with a plain, blue sky as long as the game is playable. I do have a feeling there was some other solution that allows random or a specified sky, but that will do nicely for now.)
jahmanson

Post by jahmanson »

I run Links 2003 on a laptop with the same graphics card and the same processor under Windows 10 Pro.

I have found that running the game in the dgVoodoo graphics "wrapper" sorts out practically all of the graphics issues with the game, including allowing the use of all the skies available for it. The only remaining issues that I see are that only the opaque golfer shadow works and there are a few tiny white flecks on the terrain here and there.

Although it seemed a little daunting at first, the actual implementation of this is quite simple. I followed these instructions:

http://andyhope.com/intel.htm
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

jahmanson wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 10:26 am I have found that running the game in the dgVoodoo graphics "wrapper" sorts out practically all of the graphics issues with the game, including allowing the use of all the skies available for it.
That's what I'm running, Win 10 Pro, and quite an older version of it. I got the dgVoodoo wrapper working, with only one small problem, a 1-pixel black box outline follows the mouse cursor around and leaves a trail. I played with anti-aliasing and a few other things (finally leaving them all on 'determined by app' or w/e it says), and that got rid of a few other black lines showing up, but the mouse cursor box remains. Did you have that problem?
jahmanson

Post by jahmanson »

I don't have those problems. I am using the dgVoodoo settings as per this link:

https://imgur.com/cDIOBh5

My laptop is a DELL Precision M4800.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

jahmanson wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 10:26 am The only remaining issues that I see are that only the opaque golfer shadow works
Early on that was an issue with the type of video card you were using. The NVIDIA cards should render either translucent or opaque golfer shadows in the game, while some other video card makers would only render the opaque shadow. If you have a non-NVIDIA graphics card, odds are you will never make it show the translucent shadow. But then it's always possible that one of the newer patches may have made a fix for it. :unsure:

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
jahmanson

Post by jahmanson »

Thanks Dan. I have an NVIDIA Quadro K1100M card fitted as well as the standard Intel HD 4600 graphics but I can't seem to get the NVIDIA card to be active :mad:
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Thanks for all the help. After trying many settings and still getting the black line problem, I tried using Glide instead. Bingo! Black lines gone, but the green sky is back. So I renamed \skies to \skies.bak as suggested earlier, and now I have a playable Links. The all-blue sky isn't a problem. To jahmanson: You might want to try setting antialiasing to 8x. If that doesn't cause any other problem, you'll have a sharper, less pixelated image. I think, by default, Links isn't doing any antialiasing unless you tell DirectX to do it.