Augusta National 2023

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
g3b

Re: Augusta National 2023 issue with hole/pin location

Post by g3b »

Hi Linksters, I was replaying the Masters 23 version with computer players without myself. Was using pin positions for Friday as per Chads post. For some reason the game locked up on hole 12 with pin 10. Replayed again with the same result. Any ideas? Windows 10 amd 5600G & amd rx6600 grahics card.
thanks,
g3b
pmgolf

Re: Augusta National 2023

Post by pmgolf »

I'll play it today (#10 with that pin position) and see what happens.

Pete
SLucey

Post by SLucey »

I had a similar problem with hole #12. Kept crashing back to desktop. Unfortunately, I did not note which hole# was used. But, interestingly, it would crash at the moment either myself or the computer golfer was about to strike the ball on the putting green.
linkster

Post by linkster »

This happened to me once during a practice round while checking out the planting. Tried to resume the round after restarting but still crashed. I dismissed it as a random crash at the time and have not had any since. Good to know that someone else had the same issue. I believe it is related to the reflective water and how I did the 3D bridges across Rae's Creek, but I am open to ideas on what to check. I may need some guidance from some APCD grandmasters on how to properly do 3D work on a reflective water. :bookh:

Where did chad post which pins to use for each round of the Master's?
gene_golf wrote: April 13th, 2023, 4:50 pm Another thought I have being the wind direction set up in APCD. I checked provisualizer and going by map with top as true north it would appear that Linkster set up prevailing wind to come from SW and not sure what variance was given for change of direction that understand is randomly chosen by the computer within what range settings allowed as also set up by the course's designer when play game and this is yet another flaw in Links program where cannot accurately set an exact direction point only that wind is coming from to account for strange days that players had facing them. If course's designer were to do that---then would have an entirely different course that designer could name as Augusta played with bad conditions and have virtually the same file size occupying computer hard drive space. The announcers said that with cold, rainy and windy conditions that the the wind was coming from a NE direction or 180 degrees different from way that Linkster set wind and on good days normally in year that is what usually experience in Georgia that wind does come from a SW direction.
Yes, I set the wind direction to be blowing out of the SW (45 degrees in APCD). That is what the prevailing wind "should" be, but I am not a resident of the US. It also makes the 12th play the most interesting; almost into the wind so I went with the SW wind. The pro's have a hard time with the wind on 12 every year so I thought the SW wind was the most appropriate. I did turn down the variance of the wind direction in APCD. I'll put it back to the default of 85% to add some variability to how the course plays but I do wish the wind direction could be set on a per round basis.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Great to hear you turned the variability back up :thumbup: ...."I did turn down the variance of the wind direction in APCD. I'll put it back to the default of 85% to add some variability to how the course plays but I do wish the wind direction could be set on a per round basis......played a round on J Ahern's Carton House yesterday .....some of Johns courses are the most accurately reproduced courses on here...and he has the variability settings near perfect...in breezy.......windy ..super tough on champ
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Regarding pins of the versions out 2005,2006,2008,2009,2010 along with a beta version in 2012 the latter not sure if anyone else has it, but checking out seems to have most pins set up in traditional Sunday placements when set to 4 assuming that is most probably the last round--- since no notes available as course not shown as now possible to download. My thinking with 0,1,2,3 and 4 pin settings possible---this was effort to set up possibles for tournament play with the variables of wind along with firmness/fastness set up as best as could be done each day of playing the tournament. I miss seeing the poster that several years back gave out daily pin settings along with conditions of real tournaments provided that real courses were designed here in Links.
Last edited by gene_golf on April 20th, 2023, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

linkster wrote: April 20th, 2023, 2:21 pm I may need some guidance from some APCD grandmasters on how to properly do 3D work on a reflective water.
Hi Linkster. If I understand what you meant by this, it looks like you want to create a 3D object out of water texture. I never use water to make 3D objects. I build the 3D object off-plot, and then place it on the water texture.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Danny D wrote: April 20th, 2023, 10:26 pm
linkster wrote: April 20th, 2023, 2:21 pm I may need some guidance from some APCD grandmasters on how to properly do 3D work on a reflective water.
Hi Linkster. If I understand what you meant by this, it looks like you want to create a 3D object out of water texture. I never use water to make 3D objects. I build the 3D object off-plot, and then place it on the water texture.

Dan
Dan, is your new pc up and running?
No matter where you go, there you are.
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Would agree with Danny in building your 3D of plot and inserting them on top of the terrain.

Anything that finishes below grade you don't have to close the bottoms with faces, with small objects like 4x4 post or something like that I do. Always make certain any created object with an open face finishes underground.

I'm wondering if a seam rip or open face is on or around the bridge? If a face was deleted and rebuilt/reapplied , rips in the seam can hide in places that 2 textures connect and they are not always easy to root out.

I would suspect the first but another culprit could be a 2-D object off the edge of the plot at a certain angle, simple fix for that is to see if any pine tree clumps are near the edge and move verts out some.

If you need any assistance please let me know.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

GoBucks wrote: April 21st, 2023, 1:08 pm
Dan, is your new pc up and running?
I've got it, but it's not set up for use just yet. I hope to get it going this weekend.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added