Updated Club Distances?

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
jurg48

Updated Club Distances?

Post by jurg48 »

Been so long since I played a round of Links golf. I noticed the maximum club distances for the various clubs are quite outdated. The Ladies on Tour hit it the distances in this game. Maybe I am mistaken but I thought one of the members here created an app which increased the the overall distances of the clubs featuewd in this platform.
gator

Re: Updated Club Distances?

Post by gator »

This may be what you are referring to - http://linksassistant.no-ip.info/prodistance.htm
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

These new pro club distances are creating serious issues in the "real" golf World. Seven thousand yards are going to be obsolete! :fear:

It's a damn good thing that we can also set up a golfer that behaves like most of us! :tongue:
MrT

Post by MrT »

jurg48 wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:38 am Been so long since I played a round of Links golf. I noticed the maximum club distances for the various clubs are quite outdated. The Ladies on Tour hit it the distances in this game. Maybe I am mistaken but I thought one of the members here created an app which increased the the overall distances of the clubs featuewd in this platform.
You are correct. There is another version of the game, called Links 2003 Pro Distances which I have installed side by side with the regular version. It causes no problems whatsoever but it works only in Classic Swing modes. Those of us who use RTS or PS modes cannot benefit from it. Essentially, you gain probably 30 yards or so. It is still nowhere near the current distances, but it makes things a bit more interesting in some ways as it is now possible to attack greens on second shot on Par 5s with relative ease. A few months back I wanted to experience how far I could really hit the ball in this game. Hence, despite being an RTS player, I switched to CS mode and used the Pro Distances version at Kapalua #18 and (helped by some wind, and the downhill fairway I hit 433 yards almost... still a long short from Tiger Woods' 498 yards in 2002. However, to achieve those distances, one has to play in Champ or Elite mode. Amateur and Pro need not apply.

http://linksassistant.no-ip.info/prodistance.htm
Last edited by MrT on March 20th, 2023, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

If you're good enough at Links, you can gain quite a bit of distance playing Fc Fc. Of course you will need to hit every shot perfectly! :thumbup: :laugh:

Pete
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Does not work for me when I click on the Desktop icon it says files are missing. :rant: :rant: :rant:
MrT

Post by MrT »

pmgolf wrote: March 20th, 2023, 11:13 am If you're good enough at Links, you can gain quite a bit of distance playing Fc Fc. Of course you will need to hit every shot perfectly! :thumbup: :laugh:

Pete
I only experienced that playing in Champ or Elite modes.. In Amateur or Pro, I did not witness any noticeable difference. Champ, which is what I use, yes, you are right. And then at Champ level, the algo is much less forgiving towards mistakes,even small ones.
Last edited by MrT on March 20th, 2023, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrT

Post by MrT »

Daniel wrote: March 20th, 2023, 3:49 pm Does not work for me when I click on the Desktop icon it says files are missing. :rant: :rant: :rant:
Wait.. Yes, I had the same issues the first attempt.. but then I repeated the process and out of the blue it started to work and it still works fine. I cannot recall all the steps unfortunately (but it was very simple) as I installed it 1.5 years ago or so. But.. keep in mind that, even if you install this version, the full benefits will be reaped only if you play in Champ or Elite, not Pro or Amateur. I would suggest that you try to install it again.

I just checked on my Machine... and I have a bit of a mess in some ways.

On my local C-disk I have the following file structure:

Local Disk (C) > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs > MIcrosoft Games ? Links 2003

and in the last folder i have Links 2003 Pro Distances which is a shortcut for a file LinksPD.exe that was installed in my usual

"location (where do you keep your Links 2003?)" > ProgramFiles(x86) > Links 2003

So, try a bit around, for I agree that it is messy, but it has worked fine for me for about 1-1.5 years.
I cannot recall any other place where to get the program itself.. but I do recall that I was getting the same message you got as soon as I installed. Then I went snooping around.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thank you for your input MrT I will try it again,much appreciated
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Seems like I read something about using the extended distance mod back when it was released about it not being compatible with other online players players, or the game servers wouldn't allow you to connect with other players if you had the distance mod. Also you couldn't use it in online tournaments when competing against others. Does anyone else remember anything about that? :unsure:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added