Can I Overlay a DEM File

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
User avatar
Thunder91166
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:16 pm
Location: Citrus Height, CA

Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Thunder91166 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:28 am

So I'v got some DEM's of local courses, I'm able to import them in APCD 1.5, is there a way to overlay a TGA on to it like in Les's vids on real courses?

User avatar
Danny D
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:09 am
Location: SE Missouri

Re: Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Danny D » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:39 am

Thunder91166 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:28 am
So I'v got some DEM's of local courses, I'm able to import them in APCD 1.5, is there a way to overlay a TGA on to it like in Les's vids on real courses?
Hiya Thunder...

I create course overlays from Google Earth for anyone that want's to build a course. I then send it to you as a .CRZ file, already applied and sized to a new plot for the APCD. When you open it, it will be a totally flat plot and ready to begin setting the elevations. I have never used a "DEM" before, and don't really know how it works. If you can explain it to me, I will be happy to work with you on setting up a plot and overlay, if possible.

:cheers1: Dan

User avatar
Thunder91166
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:16 pm
Location: Citrus Height, CA

Re: Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Thunder91166 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:54 pm

A DEM is a Digital Elevation File, So no elevation work to do on a flat plot, just detail type work left, I know how to do overly on a flat plot and all that, I guess i can just free hand it over the terrain but I was hoping to get exact layouts, I Will PM you the DEM and OVERLAY later

User avatar
Kevin Fraser
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:39 am
Location: Pictou NS

Re: Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Kevin Fraser » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:38 pm

best bet is to eyeball it - go get an aerial from google earth - also find the Lon/lat of the north west corner and the south east corner. use those co-ordinates when importing dem and it will be closer to the course boundaries. scale and move the aerial until it looks lined up. river valleys, lake and hills help line things up easier.
kev
“Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.”
― Dave Barry

User avatar
Thunder91166
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:16 pm
Location: Citrus Height, CA

Re: Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Thunder91166 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Kevin, I've got the DEM Plot Cropped, an Exact match Overhead to the Plot, I can Import the DEM, but how do I get the Overlay to show on the Plot to star laying out the course?

User avatar
Kevin Fraser
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:39 am
Location: Pictou NS

Re: Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Kevin Fraser » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 pm

if you want - send me dem or crz and the name of the course and ill try put it all in place or send you a tga file. frazzled924@gmail.com

otherwise, download an aerial of the course from google earth pro "save - image - 4800x2718" - make it a 4096x4096 tga file
- then create a new texture with the file - and then use " terrain - face - texture coordinate mapping - new mapping - planar" add it to the texture,
- change view from xy to z - uniform scale the texture mapping - good place to start is the "eye alt" from google earth pro. probably in the 4-6000 range
- should have been a scale on the aerial - use the measuring tape to check and re check the size is right. Can also check par 3s
- then move the texture mapping until it looks lined up.

I would still recommend using google earth elevation overlay as Danny suggested and in the tutorials but use it over the dem data - most dems are accurate - not precise.

Kev
“Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.”
― Dave Barry

User avatar
Thunder91166
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:16 pm
Location: Citrus Height, CA

Re: Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Thunder91166 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:54 pm

Thank You Kevin, Got it now

User avatar
Danny D
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:09 am
Location: SE Missouri

Re: Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Danny D » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:49 am

Kevin Fraser wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 pm
if you want - send me dem or crz and the name of the course and ill try put it all in place or send you a tga file. frazzled924@gmail.com

otherwise, download an aerial of the course from google earth pro "save - image - 4800x2718" - make it a 4096x4096 tga file
- then create a new texture with the file - and then use " terrain - face - texture coordinate mapping - new mapping - planar" add it to the texture,
- change view from xy to z - uniform scale the texture mapping - good place to start is the "eye alt" from google earth pro. probably in the 4-6000 range
- should have been a scale on the aerial - use the measuring tape to check and re check the size is right. Can also check par 3s
- then move the texture mapping until it looks lined up.

I would still recommend using google earth elevation overlay as Danny suggested and in the tutorials but use it over the dem data - most dems are accurate - not precise.

Kev
Hi Kev... How is a DEM applied to an APCD plot? Is it simply grid lines on a photo that you apply like an overlay? I'm sorry, but I have no idea how DEM's are used in the APCD.

TIA,

Dan

User avatar
Thunder91166
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:16 pm
Location: Citrus Height, CA

Re: Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Thunder91166 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:43 am

Danny, a DEM is "Imported" as the plot, I contains the height data for the selected area. Then you can overlay a course over head TGA as a texture as in Les's Video's 23 and 24 I think. And with SASPlanet You can get such a better Overhead Pic with out all the Fine tuning of angles and such that Google "whatever" makes you do

User avatar
Danny D
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:09 am
Location: SE Missouri

Re: Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Danny D » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:50 am

Thunder91166 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:43 am
Danny, a DEM is "Imported" as the plot, I contains the height data for the selected area. Then you can overlay a course over head TGA as a texture as in Les's Video's 23 and 24 I think. And with SASPlanet You can get such a better Overhead Pic with out all the Fine tuning of angles and such that Google "whatever" makes you do
Thanks for the info Thunder... :thumbup:

Post Reply