Links won't launch on new device

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
GoBucks

Re: Links won't launch on new device

Post by GoBucks »

dko wrote: February 5th, 2022, 9:37 am I think you're right about my old Dell. It's like 13 years old so I was probably lucky I got as much out of it as I did.

If I do have to go the new route, I guess I better make sure it has Intel.
That's a pretty good life for a computer. It would be hard for me not to look at Dell for a new one..
No matter where you go, there you are.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: February 5th, 2022, 9:37 am Still Linksing, I purchased Links from this website and downloaded it. I then ran the Download and Players executables as instructed. It placed the shortcut on my desktop and that is the info that was in it.
This makes absolutely no sense to me. I've never seen the download version and can't understand why there would be a download and a players executable. There should only be one executable required to install the game. Does anyone here who has the download version of Links have any info on this?
It does make sense of your shortcut you now have on the desktop but that shortcut isn't for launching Links. I'm very much questioning the install.
Have you installed Links with this same download version successfully on any other PC?
dko wrote: February 5th, 2022, 9:37 am I just remembered today that I have an old laptop somewhere running XP so if I can find it, I'm going to give it a shot.
That would work fine. May be a little slow depending on the spec of the laptop from that time.
dko wrote: February 5th, 2022, 9:37 am If I do have to go the new route, I guess I better make sure it has Intel.
It's not hard to find a good computer for Links. Suggest buying one with a dedicated graphics card.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Still Linksing wrote: February 5th, 2022, 1:22 pm Still Linksing, I purchased Links from this website and downloaded it. I then ran the Download and Players executables as instructed. It placed the shortcut on my desktop and that is the info that was in it.
This makes absolutely no sense to me. I've never seen the download version and can't understand why there would be a download and a players executable. There should only be one executable required to install the game. Does anyone here who has the download version of Links have any info on this?
It does make sense of your shortcut you now have on the desktop but that shortcut isn't for launching Links. I'm very much questioning the install.
[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember if they all came in a .ZIP, but they probably did. The download gives you several files:
s_100.jpg
s_100.jpg (11.06 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
I run #3, 5, 1 and 2 - in that order. Maybe change the RuKsHuK.exe file, too (if it asks for "Disk 1 to be inserted"). Set up the Compatibility (Administrator, compatibility with XP), and Make sure the Shortcut Target is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Links 2003\LinksMMIII.exe"

Pete
dko

Post by dko »

The current download files for purchase are not in a zip file and are Links2K3_Down.exe, Links2K3_Players.exe and one other one for Skeleton something golf course that I didn't bother to get but which downloaded to the course folder anyway. I think the 1.07 and nvidia files are free.

I also used the download version available at the time for loading Links on my old desktop way back when (my original CD for 2003 was "borrowed" and never returned). It placed the Links launcher shortcut on my desktop and that's what I always used to open the game. The Target file was (and still is) the one shown by Pete. It worked fine from the very beginning (except I did get the disk insertion message which I just clicked through because I didn't know about changing the RuKsHuK.exe file.)
Doug
dko

Post by dko »

Pete, if you're using your desktop shortcut to open Links, what does the Start In: box show?
Doug
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Also do the installation for the 1.07 Links version, and the Nvivia patch (regardless of what your video card is).

Links Properties box and Compatibility box:
Links Properties and Compatibility.jpg
Links Properties and Compatibility.jpg (71.41 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
As you can see, I don't install Links 2003 in the \Program Files (x86)\ directory.

Pete
Last edited by pmgolf on February 5th, 2022, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

The shortcut would be correct because they have done some funky work with the installers and split elements of the installation. Why the heck they did this I have no idea.
Anyhow, back to point, if you need further help with whatever device you want to get Links running on post back. I'm not sure what device you want to go with dko. The Surface Pro you need to follow the steps outlined at Links Country Club. If successful, Links should launch.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

My ProgramData folder was indeed hidden as john_iv stated, so it is there.

I reinstalled Links in Program Files and then installed 1.07 and the Nvidia patch to the same folder. My new launch efforts even gave me the option to override settings for XP, but still didn't open. Subsequent attempts, however, generated no response.

My Links Properties compatibility tab includes a Windows on ARM section with a "Change Emulation Settings" option. Since it seems Windows on ARM is unfamiliar to most, I have no idea if this offers a possible solution.

Since I can't seem to show a Print Screen in my posts and feel like I have looked everywhere to figure it out, could someone please enlighten me?
Doug
dko

Post by dko »

I forgot that I also have a Program Files (Arm) folder on my C: drive, so I wonder if I should try to install anything here.
Doug
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

dko wrote: February 6th, 2022, 3:46 am Since I can't seem to show a Print Screen in my posts and feel like I have looked everywhere to figure it out, could someone please enlighten me?
Take a picture of you're screen on a cell phone and attach it to your message. :thumbup: You may need to reduce it to an allowable size for the forums before you attach it.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added