Links won't launch on new device

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
dko

Re: Links won't launch on new device

Post by dko »

Well, I've taken the screen shot from Windows, cropped it, resized it, copied it and tried to paste it to this forum in a reply. Nothing happens.
Doug
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

dko wrote: February 6th, 2022, 5:24 am Well, I've taken the screen shot from Windows, cropped it, resized it, copied it and tried to paste it to this forum in a reply. Nothing happens.
You can't paste them into the post. You have to create or reply to a message. Now scroll down to the bottom of your message and select the "attachments" tab. Next click the "Add Files" button, and then browse to the file on your computer. Now select the "inline" option, and click your cursor into your message at the text line you want the picture to be.

Do a "Preview" to make sure it appears, and then submit it.

Hope that helps,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

You can try the different emulation settings to see if one will make Links work. All you can do is mess with settings to see if you can find a magical one.
I did a little searching and see success rates with games are not great on the Surface Pro X.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Suggestion: a cheaper option (that others have resorted to) is available. Either on Ebay, on Amazon with a "Search", or using a Google search, look for an used desktop with video card - preferably with an AMD processor, and make it your Links game machine. You can even check the Dell site - they sell refurbished ones. I have a backup one with Windows 7.

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

pmgolf wrote: February 6th, 2022, 12:03 pm Suggestion: a cheaper option (that others have resorted to) is available. Either on Ebay, on Amazon with a "Search", or using a Google search, look for an used desktop with video card - preferably with an AMD processor, and make it your Links game machine. You can even check the Dell site - they sell refurbished ones. I have a backup one with Windows 7.

Pete
Yes, for Links and other old games this is the best option. I recommended this ages ago. The difference now is what were cheap PC’s a while ago are selling 3-5 times those prices today.
I was lucky and bought a bunch of components before prices went up. Managed to get all new components except for one graphics card. Additionally bought 3 of the last motherboards available new that will run Win XP/Win 7 OS before they went off the market. No motherboards left on the new market for Win XP and likely also none for Win 7.
Made sure I was set up for life running my fav old games.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

Just curious, does this look like a good choice:

DELL Optiplex 7010 Business Desktop Computer (Intel Quad Core i5-3470 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, USB 3.0, DVDRW, Windows 10 Professional (Renewed)
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: February 6th, 2022, 11:02 pm Just curious, does this look like a good choice:

DELL Optiplex 7010 Business Desktop Computer (Intel Quad Core i5-3470 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, USB 3.0, DVDRW, Windows 10 Professional (Renewed)
It has no graphics card. You'd be using integrated graphics. (Much slower than a dedicated card) Take this into consideration and you will want to make sure you can add a card later without any hassle. eg warranty/case size/power supply etc.
The rest of the spec looks ample for Links and many older games and even the more recent games if you bought a dedicated graphics card. I can tell you the processor is excellent for old games. I bought 3 of them! :laugh:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

Found a similar model with a 1 G card. Is 8 GB of RAM OK or should I stick with 16. Price difference of $140.
Doug
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

dko wrote: February 7th, 2022, 1:14 am Found a similar model with a 1 G card. Is 8 GB of RAM OK or should I stick with 16. Price difference of $140.
Heck, I will throw in my 2 cents worth. lol

The enemy of the Links game is anything that uses "Intel Integrated Graphics". :nono: That includes both the motherboard, and the CPU Processors.

For Links, 8 GB of RAM is plenty sufficient.

I have no personal experience with this, but from what I have been reading in some of the posts, players have no issues with Links when using an AMD processor. I understand AMD does not use integrated graphics. Perhaps you might include AMD in your search for an older PC. Maybe some other might chime in on their opinions of using Links with an AMD CPU and graphics...

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: February 7th, 2022, 1:14 am Found a similar model with a 1 G card. Is 8 GB of RAM OK or should I stick with 16. Price difference of $140.
Any idea what the graphics card model is? If you want Links looking really good with no jaggies we've found here that users with modern cards, anything that is GeForce 10 series or higher seems to work great. A 1GB card wouldn't be a GeForce 10 or above series. It's still fine for Links and maybe other games but you likely won't be able to run anti-aliasing. With a Geforce 10 and above series, you "likely" will. This may or may not be important to you. I tried to find some sample screenshots but not sure what thread they are in. Might've even been on the old forum.

8GB of RAM would be fine for Links and the machine specs you've posted so far.
Golf Sim Clubhouse