Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Still Linksing

Re: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found

Post by Still Linksing »

Hmm...ok, showed up fine on my account, not sure what’s going on. When I get home I’ll upload it to MEGA.
aka Viper

Danny D

Re: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:33 pm
Hmm...ok, showed up fine on my account, not sure what’s going on. When I get home I’ll upload it to MEGA.
Hi Viper. For what it's worth, I tested that same link and get the same 404 error that Andy is getting.

Dan

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Danny D wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:36 am
Still Linksing wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:33 pm
Hi Viper. For what it's worth, I tested that same link and get the same 404 error that Andy is getting.

Dan
Ok, thanks. I just checked the file, looks fine, created another link and compared it to the first link and it created an identical link. Don't know, must be some Dropbox glitch on that particular file. Weird. There is a MEGA link now anyhow.
aka Viper

LouG

Post by LouG »

Hey Andy - just found out that voodoo is for directx 10 and up. Will not help with xp and directx9. I have xp on dell laptop with intel 3000 graphics . Is there any hope for me getting links 2003 running? Are intel 4000 or 5000 any better?

mainertodd

Post by mainertodd »

Hi all, I'm having lots of problems with a new Windows 10 upgrade, including the sky abnormalities, and I was hoping to give this a try. However, after downloading the zip file and extracting everything, Windows Defender is warning that dgVoodooCpl.exe is a Trojan. Anyone know what's going on?

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

mainertodd wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:29 am
Hi all, I'm having lots of problems with a new Windows 10 upgrade, including the sky abnormalities, and I was hoping to give this a try. However, after downloading the zip file and extracting everything, Windows Defender is warning that dgVoodooCpl.exe is a Trojan. Anyone know what's going on?
Yes, Windows Defender and many other virus software will tell you the same thing. Go to your Defender settings and restore and use it. It is safe.
aka Viper

mainertodd

Post by mainertodd »

Thanks! I thought that might be the case based on what I'd read elsewhere, but always good to get confirmation. :-)

Anyway, I went ahead and set this up, and it definitely helps (I have an Intel i3-4170 processor with the Intel 4400 graphic chip). The skies are working normally now, and it also solved a problem with the game crashing whenever I added in a second player. The only slight downside is that everything is too slow now at 1920x1080, so I had to drop the resolution to 1280x720. It's not quite as nice to look at, but I'll take that in exchange for everything else working more or less normally.

TexAgs

Post by TexAgs »

Hey all, fyi on my experience with voodoo and I am going from memory from a while back, and this may be helpful to someone. Voodoo corrected some problems but I still had other issues, specifically the frame rate when the ball was in flight slowed way down, and the screen was grainy and the grid lines were fuzzy (don’t hate me because I use the grid). The game was playable, not perfect, and there were some other issues as well but I don’t recall them all.

For me, the better fix was to go in through Device Manager and disable the Intel Graphics (don’t delete, just disable!) After disabling, restart and the Microsoft Basic Display Driver (MBDD) will kick in. For me, the game plays “more normally” with the MBDD than with Voodoo.

Interesting note: Around the same time I bought a new, larger, monitor. I hooked it up and suddenly the Links game was unplayable with either MBDD, Voodoo, or using the standard intel onboard graphics! So, your monitor may also affect how your game displays. I don’t remember what I bought except it was a large LG brand monitor, but I went back to my HP w1907 monitor, and all is good.

My System says: Windows 10, with Intel i5-4590 CPU @3.30GHZ, 3301 MHz, 4 core, 4 Logical processors (Intel HD Graphics 4600)

:tiphat:

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

TexAgs wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:16 pm
Interesting note: Around the same time I bought a new, larger, monitor. I hooked it up and suddenly the Links game was unplayable
Your new montor was likely a higher resolution than your old one I would say.
aka Viper