The best and easiest way to get elevation data into APCD

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
pmgolf

Re: The best and easiest way to get elevation data into APCD

Post by pmgolf »

If I may butt in here, I would also like to get a Dem of a course - Kinloch Golf Club in Central VA. Here is a screen print of it from Google Earth:
s_066 Kinloch.jpg
s_066 Kinloch.jpg (152.76 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
Where would I go to get it? Thank you!

Pete
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Hi pmgolf, that looks like a really nice course! I would love to play that in Links! The easiest way to get your elevations is probably from The National Map Viewer. However, that might take some work to get in APCD since they shifted formats, but I bet it'll be pretty detailed (maybe not LIDAR quality). The other way is to search at the State level (in this case Virginia). There are many sources out there that still use the DEM data that can be directly imported to APCD. I found this list http://geoserve.asp.radford.edu/dems/va_dems.htm and I think Kinloch is in Goochland county, or maybe the border of both Goochland and whatever lies to the east towards Richmond. Let me know if this helps or if you need more help getting data.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

72Animal wrote: April 7th, 2020, 10:17 pm Hi pmgolf, that looks like a really nice course! I would love to play that in Links! The easiest way to get your elevations is probably from The National Map Viewer. However, that might take some work to get in APCD since they shifted formats, but I bet it'll be pretty detailed (maybe not LIDAR quality). The other way is to search at the State level (in this case Virginia). There are many sources out there that still use the DEM data that can be directly imported to APCD. I found this list http://geoserve.asp.radford.edu/dems/va_dems.htm and I think Kinloch is in Goochland county, or maybe the border of both Goochland and whatever lies to the east towards Richmond. Let me know if this helps or if you need more help getting data.
Hiya Animal! Welcome back...

I am creating a Kinloch overlay for Pete (pmgolf) and I would be interested in knowing more about DEM's. For example, do you happen to know the acceptable DEM file parameters for the APCD?

I went to the link you provided and downloaded the zipfile for Goochland County, and there is a DEM file for it. But when I tried to import it into the APCD, it gave be an error that it was the "WRONG FORMAT". Any idea why?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
SLucey

Post by SLucey »

Danny, download the Goochland DEM data file from here (verified it will import): http://www.webgis.com/terr_pages/VA/dem ... hland.html
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Nice find SLucey, I used to use that site but lost the bookmark! Yep if that is a 7.5 min DEM it should load up fine but it might be too big to start. I use an old program called 3DEM where I can open up the 7.5 and select a smaller area (ie the course). I know you can do in the import function via the APCD but 3DEM lets you view things much better to spot the course. I'm guessing the first site I found is a newer format DEM that the 20 year old APCD has problems with.

I've been fooling with another program QGIS to, which is more complicated, to see if I could get LIDAR data from the Uk into APCD. I've been unsuccessful so far. Maybe John Aherne could enlighten all of us if he checks back in here. That picture he shared above is from the Royal Portrush, 7th hole, unless I miss my guess. I know it has to do with the formatting, just haven't cracked the code of transforming European data to become DEM that the old APCD can handle.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

SLucey wrote: April 9th, 2020, 2:07 pm Danny, download the Goochland DEM data file from here (verified it will import): http://www.webgis.com/terr_pages/VA/dem ... hland.html
Thanks SLucey! :thumbup: I'll give that a look. Much appreciated!

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added