COURSES i WOULD LIKE TO SEE

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
woody4077

Re: COURSES i WOULD LIKE TO SEE

Post by woody4077 »

GoBucks wrote: May 12th, 2020, 1:29 pm
woody4077 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 8:07 am my list is:
atlanta athletic club - highlands course
couer d'alene
edgewood
fancourt
muirfield
pasatiempo
troon north - pinnacle
sahalee
sheshan
sherwood
spanish bay
tpc avenal
tpc san antonio
tpc southwind
tpc summerlin
witch hollow at pumpkin ridge
Have you searched to see if any of these have been done? Some names names seem familiar. Older games, perhaps?
answers 1 yes i have none are availible courses 2 other golf franchises have featured some or all of these courses which be why they "seem familiar"
woody4077

Post by woody4077 »

pmgolf wrote: May 12th, 2020, 12:16 pm
couer d'alene
edgewood
fancourt
muirfield
pasatiempo
troon north - pinnacle
sahalee
sheshan
sherwood
spanish bay
tpc avenal
tpc san antonio
tpc southwind
tpc summerlin
I'll give you a tip. If you want to interest someone into doing a course, try doing some of the legwork (virtual). Does their web site have good detailed images of each individual hole? Any flyovers? Anything else that could provide information for a designer? Is the Google Earth image 3D? There is more to it than just listing some names. :thumbup:

Pete
as for google earth yes it good but what i find, is that unless you are familiar with a course layout many times it hard to tell which layout is which when a course has more then 18 holes

ok so for 1) there is a website but it lacks the stuff you're suggesting, they have photos but they are "splash screens"
for 2) ditto #1
for 3) no website
for 4) ditto #1
for 5) is the most promising there a course history video but each hole has "top down" photos and the "splash screen"
for 6) ditto #1
for 7) has website and flyovers which require some site navigation to get to but they are there
for 8) has website but i want the layout which was host for the pga or us open (which ever one it was) and there 3 layouts
for 9) has website but couldn't see anything "currently under going maintenance come back soon"
for 10) ditto #5
for 11) ditto #1
for 12) minor correction its now know as tpc potomac at avenel farm but other then that ditto #1
for 13) this one is a "no-go" there is a website and it does say oaks course for texas open however theres no photos of any holes and all you can see is a scorecard
for 14) same as 13 but it has "featured holes" photos
for 15) ditto #14
for 16) has website with photos , "top down" and flyovers this one is exetremely promising
bmumma

Post by bmumma »

Also just a tip on course recs from a bit of an architecture snob: TPC courses are by-and-large (not entirely) soul-less designs made more to cram in spectators rather than provide good golf experiences. Look at a top 100 course list or top courses by state and you'll see that these courses are not highly regarded.

There are exceptions, but I'd much rather have a Pasatiempo (played twice - fantastic Alister McKenzie design) 10/10 times vs. a TPC @ *Anything*. For my own season/career mode, I replace any non-Sawgrass TPC with an actual fun/memorable design.
chad

Post by chad »

I always thought Coeur d'Alene Resort with its world famous floating green would be a great course library edition for Links
https://www.golfcda.com/

:thumbup:
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Well, I don't want to raise anyones hopes to high but I have versions of some of these on my hard drive:
Cabot Links and Cabot Cliffs--cliffs only has overhead and very raw elevation, Links has more finely tuned elevations and has stock textures in place; plus I've actually played the course and have photos to work from and a yardage book, etc. The Cliffs was barely open and many said it needed time to grow before it was truly worth playing
Sheshan -- raw elevations, forest planting, stock textures in, 1 pin planted on every green to be able to playtest
Muirfield -- raw elevations and stock texturing, more finely tuned elevations for first 6 holes or so
Atlanta Athletic Club - funny that woody mentioned this one It's been on my drive forever; one of the first courses I did to a beta point; fully planted and textured and playable; I'll have to open up the file and cringe

I just wanted people posting in this thread to know that you're not just wishing into thin air. Although the amount of designers has shrunk over the years. I'm sure the ones here are like me with bunches of projects laying around. Although most are better than me at finishing things!
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

woody4077 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 7:55 pm
couer d'alene
edgewood
fancourt
muirfield
pasatiempo
troon north - pinnacle
sahalee
sheshan
sherwood
spanish bay
tpc avenal
tpc san antonio
tpc southwind
tpc summerlin
I'll give you a tip. If you want to interest someone into doing a course, try doing some of the legwork (virtual). Does their web site have good detailed images of each individual hole? Any flyovers? Anything else that could provide information for a designer? Is the Google Earth image 3D? There is more to it than just listing some names. :thumbup:

Pete
as for google earth yes it good but what i find, is that unless you are familiar with a course layout many times it hard to tell which layout is which when a course has more then 18 holes

ok so for 1) there is a website but it lacks the stuff you're suggesting, they have photos but they are "splash screens"
for 2) ditto #1
for 3) no website
for 4) ditto #1
for 5) is the most promising there a course history video but each hole has "top down" photos and the "splash screen"
for 6) ditto #1
for 7) has website and flyovers which require some site navigation to get to but they are there
for 8) has website but i want the layout which was host for the pga or us open (which ever one it was) and there 3 layouts
for 9) has website but couldn't see anything "currently under going maintenance come back soon"
for 10) ditto #5
for 11) ditto #1
for 12) minor correction its now know as tpc potomac at avenel farm but other then that ditto #1
for 13) this one is a "no-go" there is a website and it does say oaks course for texas open however theres no photos of any holes and all you can see is a scorecard
for 15) ditto #14
for 16) has website with photos , "top down" and flyovers this one is exetremely promising
This will assist you in finding courses on Google Earth. I found it in the middle of Lez Marwicks APCD Lessons. I followed the instructions and found hole-by-hole flyovers of " The MacDonald Course" at Bandon Dunes - something I've always wanted to see.

"Great Course Planner
I came across this site while reviewing Sage's Hamilton Golf Club. I'm thinking that you've discovered it already but in case you haven't enjoy! ...Even if you're not a designer it's fascinating!
https://www.provisualizer.com/features/atoz.php"

Year after year we have a thread of "courses I'd like to see in Links", and rarely do we see one of them produced. It makes me think that people don't understand that their desire to see a course isn't enough to get someone to spend hundreds of hours designing and developing it. But if you provide a source of information that can be used to help recreate it, maybe you might get to see it done. Like for Troon North - Pinnacle Course. I'd love to see that one done! But are you willing to go there and take several thousand pictures of the holes, tees, fairways and greens to help someone with the information they would need to do the design? They would need to see the tees, fairways, greens, trees, plants, cart paths, sand traps, rough, and numerous other things. See the problem?

So how about looking around close by for golf courses - both private and public. Any outstanding ones nearby? If you would be willing to spend a day or two taking pictures, you might be able to persuade someone to take the project on. I wish more people would do that! I'm getting ready to do that very thing with a course about 40 miles away in central Virginia. It was ranked as Virginia's #1 course for several years. I'm learning the APCD so I can try to reproduce it.

Pete
woody4077

Post by woody4077 »

72Animal wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:05 pm Well, I don't want to raise anyones hopes to high but I have versions of some of these on my hard drive:
Cabot Links and Cabot Cliffs--cliffs only has overhead and very raw elevation, Links has more finely tuned elevations and has stock textures in place; plus I've actually played the course and have photos to work from and a yardage book, etc. The Cliffs was barely open and many said it needed time to grow before it was truly worth playing
Sheshan -- raw elevations, forest planting, stock textures in, 1 pin planted on every green to be able to playtest
Muirfield -- raw elevations and stock texturing, more finely tuned elevations for first 6 holes or so
Atlanta Athletic Club - funny that woody mentioned this one It's been on my drive forever; one of the first courses I did to a beta point; fully planted and textured and playable; I'll have to open up the file and cringe

I just wanted people posting in this thread to know that you're not just wishing into thin air. Although the amount of designers has shrunk over the years. I'm sure the ones here are like me with bunches of projects laying around. Although most are better than me at finishing things!
dude if you have a beta of any of those courses please post "a course in beta is better then no course at all" - unknown
also even if theres only one pin on each hole as long as the sheshan course file isn't locked anyone that downloads it could add more pins
as for muirfeild if you could finish that'd be great then i could add another course to my "british" open collection
woody4077

Post by woody4077 »

pmgolf wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:55 pm
woody4077 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 7:55 pm

Pete

for 2) ditto #1
for 3) no website
for 4) ditto #1
for 6) ditto #1
for 10) ditto #5
for 11) ditto #1
for 15) ditto #14
This will assist you in finding courses on Google Earth. I found it in the middle of Lez Marwicks APCD Lessons. I followed the instructions and found hole-by-hole flyovers of " The MacDonald Course" at Bandon Dunes - something I've always wanted to see.

"Great Course Planner
I came across this site while reviewing Sage's Hamilton Golf Club. I'm thinking that you've discovered it already but in case you haven't enjoy! ...Even if you're not a designer it's fascinating!
https://www.provisualizer.com/features/atoz.php"

Year after year we have a thread of "courses I'd like to see in Links", and rarely do we see one of them produced. It makes me think that people don't understand that their desire to see a course isn't enough to get someone to spend hundreds of hours designing and developing it. But if you provide a source of information that can be used to help recreate it, maybe you might get to see it done. Like for Troon North - Pinnacle Course. I'd love to see that one done! But are you willing to go there and take several thousand pictures of the holes, tees, fairways and greens to help someone with the information they would need to do the design? They would need to see the tees, fairways, greens, trees, plants, cart paths, sand traps, rough, and numerous other things. See the problem?

So how about looking around close by for golf courses - both private and public. Any outstanding ones nearby? If you would be willing to spend a day or two taking pictures, you might be able to persuade someone to take the project on. I wish more people would do that! I'm getting ready to do that very thing with a course about 40 miles away in central Virginia. It was ranked as Virginia's #1 course for several years. I'm learning the APCD so I can try to reproduce it.

Pete
frankly pete if i had the time and skill i would do these my self but alas "this ones for the professionals"
plus theres also the fact that MANY of the course(s) on my list are MEMBERS ONLY
as for courses close by the most famous course in my area has ALREADY been done...OAK HILL, its about 25 min east of my hometown
woody4077

Post by woody4077 »

bmumma wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:04 pm Also just a tip on course recs from a bit of an architecture snob: TPC courses are by-and-large (not entirely) soul-less designs made more to cram in spectators rather than provide good golf experiences. Look at a top 100 course list or top courses by state and you'll see that these courses are not highly regarded.

There are exceptions, but I'd much rather have a Pasatiempo (played twice - fantastic Alister McKenzie design) 10/10 times vs. a TPC @ *Anything*. For my own season/career mode, I replace any non-Sawgrass TPC with an actual fun/memorable design.
fiar enough but i'd still like to have as accurate a season as possible when i play my career mode(s)
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Old Head (in development by Sage and friends)
couer d'alene
Chicago GC