List of Links 2003 compatible video cards?

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
LouG

List of Links 2003 compatible video cards?

Post by LouG »

I'm having a rough time getting Links 2003 running on my laptop so am thinking about acquiring an inexpensive desktop and turning it into a "Links Machine". Can someone provide a list of video cards that are known to work with Links 2003 on Windows XP? Thank you all in advance...

Update: did a little research - would a radeon 6450 do the trick?
Still Linksing

Re: List of Links 2003 compatible video cards?

Post by Still Linksing »

You might not get many responses as most would not be on XP.
I'm running a Geforce 4 4200Ti on one XP machine.
I think you would be struggling to find many cards for XP that don't work well. Certainly Nvidia cards always worked well.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

LouG wrote: November 6th, 2019, 8:57 pm I'm having a rough time getting Links 2003 running on my laptop so am thinking about acquiring an inexpensive desktop and turning it into a "Links Machine". Can someone provide a list of video cards that are known to work with Links 2003 on Windows XP? Thank you all in advance...

Update: did a little research - would a radeon 6450 do the trick?
Be aware that adding new hardware to an XP operating system could possibly de-activate XP. If it does, you can't re-activate it. It will happen If XP sees the hardware as a "significant" change. If I were you, I would keep a cloned backup of your hard drive handy just in case you want to switch the machine back to where it was before the upgrade.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
LouG

Post by LouG »

If someone could post a copy of the Videocards,txt file (to be found in the C:Program files/Links2003/ directory) it would be a great help. The file is a list of all the videocards that Links 2003 likes to see. Thank you all in advance...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

LouG wrote: November 7th, 2019, 1:53 am If someone could post a copy of the Videocards,txt file (to be found in the C:Program files/Links2003/ directory) it would be a great help. The file is a list of all the videocards that Links 2003 likes to see. Thank you all in advance...
Hi Lou...

That "videocard.txt file was created in 2004. Don't waste your time looking for any of those video cards. I doubt you'd find any. And if you did, odds are your computers slots aren't compatible. If you simply want a Links machine, I'd recommend you buy a used system. Any of the standard Intel CPU's and any NVIDIA GTX video card will be exactly what you need. If I were looking for one, I'd grab this one. Here's a great deal, with free shipping...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60FPS-Gaming-P ... 0009.m1982

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
LouG

Post by LouG »

Hey Dan - thanks for responding. The reason I wanted to see the videocard.txt is based on a post on Links CC regarding getting Links 2003 to run with Intel Graphics (my situation with my current system) that suggested adding the specs for Intel Graphics to the videocard.txt file. Nowadays, software has more sophisticated ways of identifying video cards but 20 years ago when Links 2003 was new that was not the case. I was planning to pick up a refurbished Dell from their website (had great luck with these over the years) but have been finding that video cards for older systems are hard to find so I'm about ready to give up on Links 2003. Tried Perfect Golf from steam but that was a big disappointment as well.
Sandy_Trapp

Post by Sandy_Trapp »

I have a Radeon 7750 HD card I have been using from XP through to Windows 10 without any problems. Had to add it to the videotxt file, though.