Wakonda Club

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Ian Wells

Re: Wakonda Club

Post by Ian Wells »

Danny,
:clapping:
I am impressed with the degree of detail of the surround. How many different textures did you use?
On the course I am trying to complete I have estimated that to achieve the correct detail to add the surround it will add about 12 textures which increases the file size by 40 Mb. I tried with one overall texture but the detail is too poor.
Thanks,
Ian
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Ian Wells wrote: September 27th, 2019, 8:28 am Danny,
:clapping:
I am impressed with the degree of detail of the surround. How many different textures did you use?
On the course I am trying to complete I have estimated that to achieve the correct detail to add the surround it will add about 12 textures which increases the file size by 40 Mb. I tried with one overall texture but the detail is too poor.
Thanks,
Ian
Hi Ian...

I'm a firm believer that if you want to do a real course properly, you should provide the players with familiar surroundings. Unfortunately, with the limited APCD accessories that we have to use, all we can do is use something similar. I also believe that the overwhelming majority of players nowadays have much more powerful computers, and they can handle the larger file sizes, so I made the decision here to add my own pano for about a half a block on all 4 sides. I will plant all of the trees on it, and place a 3D building on top of all of the buildings that will show up from the course. I knew it would take a lot of 1024x1024 top views to surround the course and still keep the clarity as good as I can get from Google Earth.

The surrounding top views are made up of 20 separate textures. A couple of them are 1024x512, and the other 18 are 1024x1024. I'm also using 3 different fairway textures all staggered and mixed together. Each of the 3 textures are identical, other than having different divot patterns so they won't look so repetitive. As the course stands right now the way you see it, it's at 172MB. When I remove the last piece of overlay, it will drop over 30mb. I've used almost every type of tree that I'll be using, and now when I plant one it won't add to the size. Same with the 3D buildings. From what I can see, I'm guessing the course will finish at under 200mb, which should be acceptable.

Here's a top view. I highlighted every-other texture to show you where they are patched together. Geez. I feel like I made a quilt... lol

:cheers1: Dan
Attachments
top.jpg
top.jpg (257.87 KiB) Viewed 4802 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Danny D wrote: September 24th, 2019, 6:10 am Am in the planting stages now. Still some work left, but I'm getting there.

Dan
That looks wonderful! I'm starting to be anxious to play there!

PS: the only way to create courses is with APCD, or could be possible to using another 3D editing program and convert it to Links format after?
Maybe i'm asking a bs but I started with links in april of this 2019 and still don't know a lot of things about it.

Cheers and shine on! 🤘😎🎸
Last edited by Obi Wan Kenobi on September 29th, 2019, 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Was it love, or was it the idea of being in love?
or was it the hand of fate that seemed to fit just like a glove?"
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Danny,
Thanks for the information.
That’s a lot of 3D work for you to complete, it’s a good job you enjoy making 3D objects.
Good luck.
Ian
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Ian Wells wrote: September 28th, 2019, 2:00 am Danny,
Thanks for the information.
That’s a lot of 3D work for you to complete, it’s a good job you enjoy making 3D objects.
Good luck.
Ian
The manually built 3D work is done, which includes the clubhouse, cart sheds, maintenance building, stone bridges and a few other grounds buildings & structures. The houses and buildings along the one edge of the plot, and all of the outer surrounding neighborhood homes and shops (other than that multi-story apartment complex) will be planted 3D buildings from APCD 1's planting set.

Dan
Attachments
wak3.jpg
wak3.jpg (617.88 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
wak2.jpg
wak2.jpg (534.17 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
milwsteve

Post by milwsteve »

How are you coming on Wakonda Club Denny looking forward to playing this course a very beautiful course.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

milwsteve wrote: October 28th, 2019, 1:56 pm How are you coming on Wakonda Club Denny looking forward to playing this course a very beautiful course.
Coming along slow Steve, but I'm getting close to finishing it. Right now I'm working on the hole previews. After that the pins will need to be set, and then it's done.

Dan
Completed Courses
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys...

Wakonda is complete except creating splash screens and planting the pins. At present it only has one pin located near the center of each green. Pete is going to assist with pin placement soon. In the meantime, while the pins are being set and the splash screens are being created, I'd like to find 4 or 5 players to play it and see if they can spot anything that needs attention. I've played several rounds and haven't seen anything, but its better to get several other opinions.

I'll take the first 5 volunteers that reply to this post.

Thanks and cheers!
Attachments
0026.jpg
0026.jpg (332.12 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
0009.jpg
0009.jpg (388.14 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
0007.jpg
0007.jpg (456.14 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
0004.jpg
0004.jpg (358.95 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
Completed Courses
milwsteve

Post by milwsteve »

Denny I would love to play it and give you feed back on the course,Steve
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

milwsteve wrote: November 6th, 2019, 1:54 pm Denny I would love to play it and give you feed back on the course,Steve
Hi Steve... Check your private messages...

Dan
Completed Courses