transferring courses to external hard drive

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
jorson2

transferring courses to external hard drive

Post by jorson2 »

my intent is to free up space on my pc
I have a external hard drive sitting here and was hoping someone could walk my thru the process
newer dell pc running win 10

guess my question is do I move just the courses out of file or do i move the whole file or
should i just move the whole game to external

Any help would be appreciated

doog
TexAgs

Re: transferring courses to external hard drive

Post by TexAgs »

All you need to do is move the .crx file to a folder you've created. Those .crx files can be moved around all you want. I have a course folder for "archived" files called Other Courses. The folder can reside anywhere on your hard drive (or external drive). But the the Links game will only recognize the .crx files located in the original COURSES folder it creates when it installs the game. So, in my case, I would need to move the files from one file to the other depending on which courses I want the game to recognize. I would not be surprised if there is a way for all the courses reside on your external drive and still be recognized by the game, but I've never needed to explore that option.
:bookh:
jorson2

Post by jorson2 »

tx

but id like to move all courses from pc to external hard drive

freeing up the space on pc hard drive

So when someone wants to play a match they can scroll available courses and choice the ones we share

just seems like i should be able to move the courses to external drive to free up the space and have links recognize they are there

without having to find and put into links course file folder

ill wait for someone hopefully they have done this or already did it successfully

doog
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I havent done it but either of these should work:

A) Keep the courses on the external drive, keep everything else normal, plug in the external drive anytime you want to play courses that are stored on it. Open Links and go to Options > Course Manager > Add , then select the external drive top left, it is likely the last one or second-to-last one in the list. Navigate the folder structure to the courses, select them then press Add... If it asks you to make copies to put in the COURSES folder press no. After this, close down Links successfully without a crash once, to save the changes. Alternatively, if you want to keep the course list as short as possible, only add individual courses before each time playing them. I believe the added courses will stay in the list even if you unplug the drive (but they will be unplayable while it is not plugged in)

B) Keep the courses on the external drive, keep everything else normal, each time you want to play a course that is stored on the external drive plug it in, copy that one course from the external drive to the main Links2003\COURSES folder before opening Links, then you can unplug the external drive if you want and play the course, afterwards delete the file from Links2003\COURSES.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

Option (A) is the best choice and much easier than (B). Works fine. Just leave the external drive connected---no problem.
jorson2

Post by jorson2 »

ty both

so keep course file with links on pc and move all downloaded courses within said folder to external drive and keep it plugged in and it should recognize them on external drive
my concern is when playing in gr the courses will not be recognized by the host
guess im transfer them later and if not working ill just transfer em back
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

Never had a problem like that on GR. As long as the two of you have the identical course file, it should be fine.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

If you copy your courses folder from your C:/ Drive to the external drive you will need to go into the games course manager and make sure you are showing the external drive with the courses on it or Links will just use the ones on your C:/ Drive because it will not know anything about your external drive.I hope that makes sense to you.
jorson2

Post by jorson2 »

it does ty
i have a laptop i will experiment with
and see if i can figure this out
assuming i can delete courses from folder thus creating more space and having links recognize external drive with courses on it only

doog