Fictional Coastal Links

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Stephen Sullivan

Fictional Coastal Links

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Going to do a fictional Links course. It's a Par 72 of just under 7000 yards at the early layout stage, but may change a little as I refine the layout.
Aiming for lots of pot bunkers and rolling fairways. The front 9 and the 10th are to the left of the access road, with the rest of the holes to the right. Aiming for lots of deep rough, with just a small amount of lighter rough round the fairways. Do people prefer a fringe as well or no fringe?

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (262.48 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
Jimbo

Re: Fictional Coastal Links

Post by Jimbo »

DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW DIFFICULT IS IS TO NIT PICK A FICTIONAL COURSE!!!???😡
Stephen Sullivan

Jimbo wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:02 pm DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW DIFFICULT IS IS TO NIT PICK A FICTIONAL COURSE!!!???😡
Yes. It's why we do it :tongue: :laugh:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Looking forward to it :thumbup: Will it be your first true linksland course? As for fringe of fairways or not, Id say it depends a lot on exactly what textures used, some fairways and roughs fit together better than others (without anything in between), but in general first cuts tend to be a nice addition, without being necessary - imo. Good luck with the project.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
TexAgs

Post by TexAgs »

I'm sure everybody has their own preferences. I don't mind hard-to-hit fairways as long as there is a playable rough before I get off into the deep stuff. Good luck with the new course!
:smile:
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Stehen,

I have started Pasatiempo GC and as far as I can make-out there are no fringes/first cut. (If anybody who has played the course knows different please let me know as soon as possible. :helpsmilie: )

In my opinion it is your fiction so it can be whatever you feel looks correct.
Good luck with it.

Ian
Stephen Sullivan

Adelade wrote: January 12th, 2021, 12:55 pm Looking forward to it :thumbup: Will it be your first true linksland course?
Yes Adelade, I tend to prefer Heathland courses. I've got quite a few textures to choose from thanks to Lez Marwick and McCoist. I suspect i will end up using McCoist's that he used on East & West Coast Links.

I'm going to wing it with the layout and see what looks right when I put in the tees and greens. I going for a claustrophobic look with the surroundings. How much light rough do people like?
MrMoggie

Post by MrMoggie »

Some playable rough off the fairway is good.

I love Curt Simms' rendition of Wentworth. Probably my favourite real course.

It's spot on visually, having been there many times, but my only minor issue is that any drive off the fairway finds deep rough with no chance of finding the green.

Steve
Stephen Sullivan

As someone who has played Powerstroke almost as long as I've played Links, I too prefer some playable rough around the holes :whistle:
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

If the fairways are pretty tight and there is no playable rough, I don't believe the course will get much play. Doesn't make for an enjoyable round.