HELP WITH THE GAME

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Daniel

HELP WITH THE GAME

Post by Daniel »

Hi as anybody come across this problem.A friend of mine as been running Links for years but now a problem as popped up.The game runs fine except when he tries to do a direct connection, when he clicks on the button for direct connection it goes to the next screen but all there is,is the picture of Links in the box and then nothing it just sits there,he can not host a game or connect to a game.He runs the Game on Windows 7.He can play the game ok by himself no problem it is just that Direct Connection button that is not working.I updated his graphics Driver.I updated his Ethernet Controller but nothing seems to work.We reinstalled the game and all of the Patches to,but still the same thing happens.Thank you in advance if you know what the problem might be.Daniel
Danny D

Re: HELP WITH THE GAME

Post by Danny D »

Daniel wrote: November 14th, 2020, 5:15 pm Hi as anybody come across this problem.A friend of mine as been running Links for years but now a problem as popped up.The game runs fine except when he tries to do a direct connection, when he clicks on the button for direct connection it goes to the next screen but all there is,is the picture of Links in the box and then nothing it just sits there,he can not host a game or connect to a game.He runs the Game on Windows 7.He can play the game ok by himself no problem it is just that Direct Connection button that is not working.I updated his graphics Driver.I updated his Ethernet Controller but nothing seems to work.We reinstalled the game and all of the Patches to,but still the same thing happens.Thank you in advance if you know what the problem might be.Daniel
I have no idea what it may be Daniel, but is it possible a firewall may be blocking the attempted Direct Connection? Just making a wild guess... :dunno:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

This is a part of the game that I've never used, but I've seen threads about it here at LinksCorner. A search for "direct" or "connection" in the "Tech Corner" forum might locate the info. I'm sure it's there, it's just a matter of finding it. Where are the search wizards when you need them?

Pete
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks guys I think I have found the problem to be a graphics card problem.After a lengthy discussion with my friend I find out he as not cleaned inside of his computer for 9 yes you heard it right 9 years.I think he might need a jack hammer to clean the 5hit of his graphics card if he can find it that is. :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

My friend has had his PC cleaned and it is still not working as it should.Everything works fine until he hits the direct connect button then it freezes for about 10 minutes,it is very difficult when a resume is called for.I have tried everything I know but to no avail.There is another thread about this problem but no one as come up with what might be causing the problem or how to fix it.He has reinstalled the game a few times but it is still happening.He as played Links for years and as not had any problems before this started.I thought it was his graphics card but if that was the case on reflection the rest of the game would also perform badly.Any ideas on what it could be would be appreciated.Thanks Daniel
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Have you discussed his internet situation and whether that has seen any recent changes around the time the problem popped up? You said you updated his ethernet controller, but there could be other aspects of the internet connection causing some issue, I have nothing precise in mind but at least it seems it should be in some way related to that to me, its the only thing I can think of. I've never used the Direct Connection feature so I dont know much about that but the screen he isnt getting loads fine for me.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

It could be down to the ports on the router. Have a look here https://portforward.com/links-2003/
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

The ports are all ok I did them myself through a remote connect.Once the page does load he can play anybody in our team.It is if there as to be a resume we have to wait ages for him to load the page again.I think he did say his internet provider did do some update to their system.But how can that affect him if they upgraded it should be better not worse.Got an idea there from you Adelade maybe he should reset is router and start all over again with his ports maybe that might work.Will let you know one way or the other.Thanks you for replying.
chad

Post by chad »

Daniel wrote: November 14th, 2020, 5:15 pm Hi as anybody come across this problem.A friend of mine as been running Links for years but now a problem as popped up.The game runs fine except when he tries to do a direct connection, when he clicks on the button for direct connection it goes to the next screen but all there is,is the picture of Links in the box and then nothing it just sits there,he can not host a game or connect to a game.He runs the Game on Windows 7.He can play the game ok by himself no problem it is just that Direct Connection button that is not working.I updated his graphics Driver.I updated his Ethernet Controller but nothing seems to work.We reinstalled the game and all of the Patches to,but still the same thing happens.Thank you in advance if you know what the problem might be.Daniel
Microsoft Direct Play needs to be allowed through the Windows Firewall. When you first attempt to load a DC game, there is a prompt to allow Direct Play access to your network. If this is not allowed, you will not be able to connect. Links will need to be minimized in order to see the prompt to allow this through the firewall.

Further, at least with my machines running Links, I've had to setup additional Windows port firewall rules for TCP and UDP. Links does set those up, but by itself (again at least for me), I could not get DC to function without those additional manually created TCP/UDP firewall rules.

I'd also check and see an anti-virus program is blocking things. My friend has AVG and it has its own "firewall"' type of settings that blocks Links DC.

Also, ensure that UPnP is enabled in router settings.