APCD mod

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
braden1308

APCD mod

Post by braden1308 »

Is anyone using the APCD mod? I learned how to use it from Art Patscheck when it first came out about 10 years ago. It was a great tool for when you are making multiple 3D objects of the same kind and importing larger dem's into the APCD. It does not come with a tutorial and I have some recall on how it works. I will have to play around with it to make myself familiar with it again.

Glenn
Danny D

Re: APCD mod

Post by Danny D »

braden1308 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 10:54 am Is anyone using the APCD mod? I learned how to use it from Art Patscheck when it first came out about 10 years ago. It was a great tool for when you are making multiple 3D objects of the same kind and importing larger dem's into the APCD. It does not come with a tutorial and I have some recall on how it works. I will have to play around with it to make myself familiar with it again.

Glenn
Do us a favor Glenn... If you figure it out, could you make step-by-step instructions for us? Several of us have the program, but the directions were too vague to fully understand. :unsure:

Thanks and best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

What part didnt work for you Dan? I have the tool along with a text file with instructions, dont know who wrote them but I imagine you have the same as me. I havent tried it myself but the instructions make sense in theory to me. Here is the text file https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bhusnh87iyc6 ... t.txt?dl=0
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

Is there any reason this mod is not available here on Links Corner?
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Adelade wrote: September 15th, 2020, 2:16 pm What part didnt work for you Dan? I have the tool along with a text file with instructions, dont know who wrote them but I imagine you have the same as me. I havent tried it myself but the instructions make sense in theory to me. Here is the text file https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bhusnh87iyc6 ... t.txt?dl=0
Those instructions are correct, written by Andrew Jones I believe. It does work and can save a lot of time when making multiple 3D objects. The mod also will let you import large dem's but I do not remember the max number of verts it will let you import.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: September 15th, 2020, 2:16 pm What part didnt work for you Dan? I have the tool along with a text file with instructions, dont know who wrote them but I imagine you have the same as me. I havent tried it myself but the instructions make sense in theory to me. Here is the text file https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bhusnh87iyc6 ... t.txt?dl=0
The instructions are what don't work for me. I've never made it far enough to actually try it. I tried following those directions, but either I'm just not understanding, or there are some steps missing at the beginning that confuses me. Somewhere along the line it appears that an APCD has to be "cloned" or somehow modified to make the tool work. It doesn't mention specifically how to prepare the APCD. Do you add or move a file somewhere? If so, where, and which one? That's the part that is "vague" to me. I can make guesses at what to do, but would prefer a clear understanding before I try it. The rest of the instructions are clear and understandable. :bookh: :helpsmilie: :surrender:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Lez Marwick wrote: September 15th, 2020, 2:23 pm Is there any reason this mod is not available here on Links Corner?
I think that it was an apcdcourses.com exclusive originally. However, I'm quite prepared to host it here perhaps with enhanced instructions if anyone wants to step up to the plate.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I think I see what you mean, I checked what was actually inside my ApcdRC.zip for the first time and there is simply a .dll file. Pretty sure you're just supposed to replace the ApcdRC.dll in your APCD directory with it. I think I've heard it comes with better in-APCD settings for texture properties as well, so in that case along with the DEM thing that makes 3 improvements, maybe there are even more of them? Unless anyone know of any downsides of using it I guess it would be silly of me to wait any longer.
Lez Marwick wrote: September 15th, 2020, 2:23 pm Is there any reason this mod is not available here on Links Corner?
I wonder too if anything is preventing it from being made sticky download here, but I think it's been shared a couple times by link from individual members on LC in the past year or two. Still seems available in this post viewtopic.php?p=3331#p3331
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Danny D wrote: September 16th, 2020, 5:54 am
The instructions are what don't work for me. I've never made it far enough to actually try it. I tried following those directions, but either I'm just not understanding, or there are some steps missing at the beginning that confuses me. Somewhere along the line it appears that an APCD has to be "cloned" or somehow modified to make the tool work. It doesn't mention specifically how to prepare the APCD. Do you add or move a file somewhere? If so, where, and which one? That's the part that is "vague" to me. I can make guesses at what to do, but would prefer a clear understanding before I try it. The rest of the instructions are clear and understandable. :bookh: :helpsmilie: :surrender:

Dan
Hi Dan,

You remove your ApcdRC.dll file from your APCD folder and replace it with the one from the mod and that will modify your APCD. Make sure you put the original ApcdRC.dll file somewhere on your desktop so if you feel you're not comfortable with the mod you can change it back.

I think the word "clone" is whats throwing you off.

You save your course you are doing the 3D work on as the master.crz, do your 3D work and save it. It is very important that you do nothing other than 3D work during this process.

Let's say you are making custom hole signs, you would make one then save the new file as save1.crz or whatever. After the save you then would move that 3D sign to a different spot and save as save2.crz. Now you are working on save2 and move your sign once again and save as save3.crz and so on. When you have about 4 or 5 saves you then go to the merge option and select your master and your saves and after the merge you will have 5 or 6 hole signs without having to do all the 3D work and they will all be identical on your master. This can be done with any 3D work you are doing and as long as you do it early in a design your save times will be shorter.In the past I did it with custom fences and I know others used it for 3D ball washers, anything you need to make multiples of.

There are also options in the mod that will let you change the physics of textures, I don't use that because I don't like messing with the texture properties. Too many odd things can happen, AJ used this option on one of his Augusta versions as well as Kapalua and I have seen the ball do odd things in game when playing with course conditions.

Glenn
SLucey

Post by SLucey »

Thank you Glen, that explanation just cleared up two important issues I was having with the mod.