error looking for hard drive?

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Starship

error looking for hard drive?

Post by Starship »

I have installed the same 4 files shown in the first picture multiple time, with no problems, but now I get an error on a new install.

What gives, how do I fix this. I can click either and the game continues and runs.
Attachments
2020-09-10_14h59_52.png
2020-09-10_14h59_52.png (5.07 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
2020-09-10_14h59_32.png
2020-09-10_14h59_32.png (56.77 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
pmgolf

Re: error looking for hard drive?

Post by pmgolf »

I haven't got time right now, but your problem will be fixed by a RukShuk.exe file to override the one in your /Links 2003/ folder. Search for it. Somebody will be along soon to tell you how.

Pete
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Ok. Back from dinner. Download the Rukshuk.zip file from the link I will post below. Go into your /Program Files (x86)/Links 2003/ folder and change the name of your "RukShuk.exe" file (if you have one) to "Old RukShuk.exe", unzip the new "RukShuk.exe" from the zipped file and put it in your /Links 2003/ folder. Run Links. POST IF IT WORKS, please.

Rukshuk.zip:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2tpn7qtuz750 ... k.zip?dl=0

Pete (off to find my notes that tell me what date "RukShuk.exe" file is the correct one - look here if you have any problem)
Starship

Post by Starship »

Thanks all, problem gone!
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I seem to have this issue every time I do a new install. From the discs which I purchased way back when the game was released. Didn't realise it was something others suffer from, and I don't even know how I got that to stop. I keep fiddling with settings and sooner or later the problem seems to fix itself. Good to know there is an actual fix for it, I will remember that for next time. Pete, hope you don't mind but I downloaded that file so I have it for the next time I do a re-install.

Cheers, AJ :cheers1:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: September 15th, 2020, 8:09 am I seem to have this issue every time I do a new install. From the discs which I purchased way back when the game was released. Didn't realise it was something others suffer from, and I don't even know how I got that to stop. I keep fiddling with settings and sooner or later the problem seems to fix itself. Good to know there is an actual fix for it, I will remember that for next time. Pete, hope you don't mind but I downloaded that file so I have it for the next time I do a re-install.

Hi AJ.

When you install the original Links factory CD's that came with the full game, it requires you to insert CD 1 to start the game. The purpose was to keep people from stealing a free copy of Links. If they tried, they also had to have CD 1 from the game pack before they could start the game. Somewhere along the line, a "no CD crack" was made that would allow you to start the game without a factory disk. The crack is named "RuKsHuK.exe". When you install the factory program, a file of the same name is installed in your main Links folder. It's the file that forces you to insert disk one on game launch. You simply replace the original version of RuKsHuK.exe with the cracked version, and POOF! No more CD required to start the game. :whistle:

Dan :cheers1:

NOTE: I don't know for certain, but I will make a wild guess that the cracked version was most likely created to to assist people who purchased the downloaded version. :dunno:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

AJ Allen wrote: September 15th, 2020, 8:09 amPete, hope you don't mind but I downloaded that file so I have it for the next time I do a re-install.

Glad it helped you, AJ! Anyone else that can use it - grab a copy and save it!

Pete