What are your system specs?

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Ian Wells

Re: What are your system specs?

Post by Ian Wells »

I play Links very infrequently, except when I am testing the course I am working on, but it seems to run fine. (Shadows are courtesy of DGVoodoo)
I guess these will be the lowest specs posted.
laptop spec.jpg
laptop spec.jpg (63.09 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
Ian
Paul44

Post by Paul44 »

Here is my spec.

CCL Elite Hawk IV Gaming PC 4 years old.
AMD FX 4-CORE (FX-4350) 4.2GHz Processor 12MB
2x Kingston RAM 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Non-ECC 240-pin DIMM Memory SR x8
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
Seagate 7200.14 2TB SATA III 3.5" HDD - 7200RPMrpm, 64MB
PowerColor AXR7 250X 1GBD5-HE Graphics Radeon R7 250X 1GB PCI-E DVI HDMI VGA
Pioneer BDR-209EBK 16X BD/DVD/CD Blu-Ray Writer Drive SATA 4MB Internal
Inwin Z638 Micro ATX Screwless Black Case
Coolermaster Elite 500W Power Supply
TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless Lite N PCI Adapter
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Quiet
Seagate ST1000VX000 1TB SATA III 3.5" HDD - 7200RPMrpm, 64MB
Two Samsung wide screens 27-inch and 24-inch monitors.
Creative 5.1 sound system.
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (SP1)
The toughest shot in golf is your next one.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Ian Wells wrote: September 11th, 2019, 6:55 am I guess these will be the lowest specs posted.
Nope. I have my XP specs below. The machine is even too old for Speccy to work so have to just text the info! haha
I'm sure others are running old machines but haven't posted unfortunately.

Below is the PC I will use for Links 2000 or older Links versions. Links 2000 works perfectly on this system and there are no animated flag etc issues as there are on Win 7.
It's the PC I played 2000 on years ago, the PC I had when Links 2001 was released, the PC I had when I first signed up at LC and also the PC I likely first used for Links 2003. It exceeds Links 2003 system requirements! Links 2003 runs very well on it as long as you stay away from longer rendering courses.

Kinda happy to be using the PC again now that Win 10 killed Links 2000 to be honest. I upgraded the graphics card on this machine back in the day. I still remember installing it with a friend over at the time. Our jaws dropped when I pulled this bad boy out of the box and we laid eyes on the massive heat sinks. This was a serious card! Well...back then it was... :laugh:

Specs:

Windows XP SP1 (I don't run SP3 on this machine, Speccy would probably work if I did)
CPU: Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
RAM: 1.0 GB
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 4 4200Ti (128mb)
HDD: 60gb
Monitor: Dell 1280x1024

The machine will be great for Links 2000 and other old games. You only need a PC to do what you need it to do and this one serves that purpose. Long live everything old! :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Titus

Post by Titus »

Links 2003 works fine on this system, thanks to LinksCornerForum
PC-System Win10.JPG
PC-System Win10.JPG (89.64 KiB) Viewed 5787 times
Win10 Nvidia Einstellung Links2003.JPG
Win10 Nvidia Einstellung Links2003.JPG (154.86 KiB) Viewed 5787 times
Titus
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

I updated my old PC to Windows XP SP3 and now Speccy works.
I've fired up Links 2000 and interestingly, found the divot animation works fluently. You really see the divot fly through the air nicely, looks cool. The animation didn't work like this using Win 7. I should also have no issues with the animated flag on the XP machine. Happy to be playing some Links on the XP machine again. It was my Links workhorse PC back in the day. I think I have a sentimental attachment to this computer! :laugh:
Attachments
Speccy.jpg
Speccy.jpg (117.88 KiB) Viewed 5753 times
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dick burt

Post by dick burt »

Here's my specs:
screen0004.JPG
screen0004.JPG (68.77 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
My XP machine is dieing a slow death.. :wallbash:
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dick burt wrote: October 7th, 2019, 2:37 pm My XP machine is dieing a slow death.. :wallbash:
That's a good XP machine! Hopefully it lasts you a little longer. Any others here running XP?
Win 98, XP and 7 were all great operating systems. :thumbup:
I'm hoping to get forever out of my XP PC. Very enjoyable playing an issue free Links 2000 on it. I'll be putting on Links 2001 as well. Found I can't enable hardware acceleration in Links 2001 on Win 10 even through the registry.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: October 8th, 2019, 11:06 am
dick burt wrote: October 7th, 2019, 2:37 pm My XP machine is dieing a slow death.. :wallbash:
That's a good XP machine! Hopefully it lasts you a little longer. Any others here running XP?
I'm hoping to get forever out of my XP PC. Very enjoyable playing an issue free Links 2000 on it. I'll be putting on Links 2001 as well. Found I can't enable hardware acceleration in Links 2001 on Win 10 even through the registry.
Word of warning! If you plan on keeping XP operating on that computer, don't ever try to do any major upgrades, like a faster processor or more RAM. :nono: If XP detects a significant change in the hardware, it will de-activate itself and try to make you re-activate it, which of course you won't be able to do. :rant:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Danny D wrote: October 9th, 2019, 3:41 am
Word of warning! If you plan on keeping XP operating on that computer, don't ever try to do any major upgrades, like a faster processor or more RAM. :nono: If XP detects a significant change in the hardware, it will de-activate itself and try to make you re-activate it, which of course you won't be able to do. :rant:

Dan
You still can. I ran XP in a VM on my Win 7 PC. Needed to re-activate it every 30 days. I hardly used the VM so didn't bother looking for a permanent activation fix. It was quick and painless to just re-activate for another 30 days if I needed it. Could do this as many times as I liked. There will be ways to activate permanently I just never bothered looking.

One other thing just came to mind. Have you tried to format the PC after you made the hardware change? This may work.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: October 9th, 2019, 9:51 am
Danny D wrote: October 9th, 2019, 3:41 am

Dan
You still can. I ran XP in a VM on my Win 7 PC. Needed to re-activate it every 30 days. I hardly used the VM so didn't bother looking for a permanent activation fix. It was quick and painless to just re-activate for another 30 days if I needed it. Could do this as many times as I liked. There will be ways to activate permanently I just never bothered looking.

One other thing just came to mind. Have you tried to format the PC after you made the hardware change? This may work.
I could find no way to make a re-activation permanent. There are registry hacks that will restart the 30 day grace period for activation, but when it expires, you have to do it again, as you indicated in your message.

Format the "PC" ?? You mean format the hard drive and re-install XP ?
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added