Windows 7 and 10

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
pmgolf

Windows 7 and 10

Post by pmgolf »

What are the options for having Windows 7 and Windows 10 - both bootable - on the same desktop computer? Same hard drive, partitioned, or 2 hard drives? What have you guys done to do this? I'm just too stubborn to give up my Windows 7!
Whatever it takes!

Thanks!

Pete
Danny D

Re: Windows 7 and 10

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: October 8th, 2019, 2:52 am What are the options for having Windows 7 and Windows 10 - both bootable - on the same desktop computer? Same hard drive, partitioned, or 2 hard drives? What have you guys done to do this? I'm just too stubborn to give up my Windows 7!
Whatever it takes!

Thanks!

Pete
Here is the best method I have found to solve this issue. This SSD drive bay fits in your Floppy Drive bay. It holds 2 SATA hard drives. They slide in and latch in place, and you push the square button to eject it. Purchase this bay and 2 SSD Drives. Install Windows 7 on one, and Windows 10 on the other.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ ... UTF8&psc=1

You should also have a SATA storage drive installed inside your computer to use as a storage drive to share files with both operating systems and their programs. From that point, simply pop in whichever operating system you want and boot up to...

Hope this helps,

Dan

Here's a system I just built for a gaming computer. It has the double SSD drive bay in the floppy bay, plus a removable SATA drive drawer in the top bay. None of my hard drives are inside my machine. They are all in the drive bays and real quickly swappable for making backups or clones on the operating systems... I have Norton Ghost installed, and cloned SSD images on the SATA drive.
Attachments
gamer.jpg
gamer.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 4604 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

The biggest issue is hardware. Manufacturers are simply giving no option but to force you to use Win 10. A new PC in most cases just won't work properly running Win 7. If I could run Win 7 on my new PC I certainly would. If you are keeping an old PC, your options are completely open to run both OS's. If it were me, on an old PC I would just leave Win 7 on there and totally avoid Win 10.

So far Win 10 has only killed Links 2000 and Links 2001 for me. Everything else I've attempted to run works to this point in time. In saying this, I have had to find solutions to issues with some programs to get them working correctly under Win 10. It certainly is a pain in the butt operating system.

The one benefit of a new system and new graphics card, Links 2003 is working for many with FXAA.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

This is what I am currently building. AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU on a X470 AMD Motherboard and a NVidia GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB video card. Windows 7 will boot off the Seagate Firegate 2 TB Hybrid HD (HD/SSD hybrid), and Windows 10 will boot off the Samsung 860 SSD (500 GB). I'm planning on using the BIOS set bootable sequence to switch between operating systems, and Windows 7 for Links2003. I'll post comments after I finish building it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/edit/?userbuild=Pm9J7P

Pete

Dan - I like that SSD swapper, but I wonder if you can run off a HD (Windows 7) and then switch to a SSD when you want. Any experience with that?
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: October 8th, 2019, 12:39 pm Dan - I like that SSD swapper, but I wonder if you can run off a HD (Windows 7) and then switch to a SSD when you want. Any experience with that?
I'm not fully understanding what you are asking when you say "switch" to an SSD Pete. I know you can copy an existing hard drive with Win7 on it and clone it to an SSD. Both types of hard drives are completely clone-able from one to another. I wouldn't attempt to hot swap any drives. You can't boot up to an operating system, and then try to swap it with another drive. The OS you boot up to must remain in place until shutdown.

When I build a machine, I always use swappable drive bays. First thing I do is install an operating system with all of the latest drivers and updates, and then I make a clone copy of it. I can then install that cloned copy to as many other hard drives as I want. For example, this HD is dedicated to the APCD and my graphics programs. I then use the clone to copy to another drive and set it up for Steam and games. If any of my hard drives fail, I simply re-clone a fresh copy of Windows onto a new drive. No need to do new installs from your Windows discs. The dual swappable bays also come in real handy for doing backups from one drive to another. I personally think it's the handiest way to set up a computer. It's so versatile and easy to switch from one OS to another for whatever programs you might be using. We are all different in our computing habits and ideas, and for me, it does everything I could ever need and is surprisingly cheap to set up. At my age I am happy with what I have and see no need to move into Windows 10 until I have no other options. I'll probably be long gone before that happens.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Danny D wrote: October 9th, 2019, 3:23 am
pmgolf wrote: October 8th, 2019, 12:39 pm Dan - I like that SSD swapper, but I wonder if you can run off a HD (Windows 7) and then switch to a SSD when you want. Any experience with that?
I'm not fully understanding what you are asking when you say "switch" to an SSD Pete. I know you can copy an existing hard drive with Win7 on it and clone it to an SSD. Both types of hard drives are completely clone-able from one to another. I wouldn't attempt to hot swap any drives. You can't boot up to an operating system, and then try to swap it with another drive. The OS you boot up to must remain in place until shutdown.

When I build a machine, I always use swappable drive bays. First thing I do is install an operating system with all of the latest drivers and updates, and then I make a clone copy of it. I can then install that cloned copy to as many other hard drives as I want. For example, this HD is dedicated to the APCD and my graphics programs. I then use the clone to copy to another drive and set it up for Steam and games. If any of my hard drives fail, I simply re-clone a fresh copy of Windows onto a new drive. No need to do new installs from your Windows discs. The dual swappable bays also come in real handy for doing backups from one drive to another. I personally think it's the handiest way to set up a computer. It's so versatile and easy to switch from one OS to another for whatever programs you might be using. We are all different in our computing habits and ideas, and for me, it does everything I could ever need and is surprisingly cheap to set up. At my age I am happy with what I have and see no need to move into Windows 10 until I have no other options. I'll probably be long gone before that happens.

Dan
There may be Aliens among us, with unimaginable knowledge about their fantastic advanced technology. So how does that help the average layperson who is just trying to get Links to run in windows 10? :whistle: :surrender: :surrender:
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Captain Nemo wrote: October 9th, 2019, 9:47 pmThere may be Aliens among us, with unimaginable knowledge about their fantastic advanced technology. So how does that help the average layperson who is just trying to get Links to run in windows 10? :whistle: :surrender: :surrender:
It has nothing to do with making it run on Windows 10. It just provides you with an option to run Windows 7 and Windows 10 on the same desktop computer, depending on which operating system you insert in the swappable drive bay.

Dan
Completed Courses