Shaughnessy-Past, Present and Future

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

Shaughnessy-Past, Present and Future

Post by Jimbo »

Just an FYI regarding the Shaughnessy Club in Vancouver, along with some British Columbia history. Their land along Marine Drive is not actually in the Shaughnessy neighbourhood of Vancouver-the actual neighbourhood is more downtown and that's where the original club was located-hence the name. As the city grew the downtown land became simply too valuable to retain a golf club (is this beginning to sound familiar, fellow Canadians?) The land for the present club beside the Fraser River was leased from the Musqueam Native Band in 1950. The Federal Government negotiated the lease on behalf of the band (the Federal Government negotiated for all bands back in those days-I believe that they refer to that as "paternalism") with the club. The lease is set to expire in 2032 and the Musqueam have indicated that they will not be renewing...they have determined that the land is more valuable as...well you can fill in the blank, right? :whistle:
The Musqueam's ownership extends west all the way to the University of British Columbia, however UBC and the band have a long-standing agreement of cooperation and the university is surrounded by endowment lands that remain undeveloped.

For what it's worth the club members are looking at property in the Coquitlam area of east Vancouver in order to create "Shaughnessy 3". I'm sure that, when (or if) the time comes the new club will be as magnificent as the current one...and maybe with a bigger clubhouse. :naughty:

Also, for what it's worth, there are two more exclusive private clubs within walking distance of Shaughnessy, as well as a couple of public courses (Marine Drive is like Islington Avenue in Toronto-one great private club after another). Their futures haven't been publicized yet-Shaughnessy has the highest profile-but for clubs in "downtowns" or exclusive residential neighbourhoods of any major cities the future looks equally "interesting"...and don't think that this is only a Canadian issue.

Anyway, I'm continuing to "Nitpick" Mike Trendocher's current Beta Shaughnessy course-it's actually quite good, especially considering the fact that it was his first course and that it's six years old-I'm putting a package together. Hopefully Mike will be willing to "do the honours" for the Final edition.
Jimbo

Re: Shaughnessy-Past, Present and Future

Post by Jimbo »

It's not just Shaughnessy that's threatened. There's some support for turning most of the Marine Drive area of Vancouver into housing...and I mean hou$$$ing.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2019/10/30/ ... ses-Homes/
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

The Globe and Mail is the Canadian equivalent of the New York Times.
Check the date of the article.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... cle720486/

https://www.vancourier.com/truth-transf ... -1.2348330

Apparently a deal was made to save the University Golf Club. Shaughnessy has been "on the hit list" for a while.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »