Can I Overlay a DEM File

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Thunder91166

Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Thunder91166 »

So I'v got some DEM's of local courses, I'm able to import them in APCD 1.5, is there a way to overlay a TGA on to it like in Les's vids on real courses?
Danny D

Re: Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Danny D »

Thunder91166 wrote: October 5th, 2019, 3:28 am So I'v got some DEM's of local courses, I'm able to import them in APCD 1.5, is there a way to overlay a TGA on to it like in Les's vids on real courses?
Hiya Thunder...

I create course overlays from Google Earth for anyone that want's to build a course. I then send it to you as a .CRZ file, already applied and sized to a new plot for the APCD. When you open it, it will be a totally flat plot and ready to begin setting the elevations. I have never used a "DEM" before, and don't really know how it works. If you can explain it to me, I will be happy to work with you on setting up a plot and overlay, if possible.

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Thunder91166

Post by Thunder91166 »

A DEM is a Digital Elevation File, So no elevation work to do on a flat plot, just detail type work left, I know how to do overly on a flat plot and all that, I guess i can just free hand it over the terrain but I was hoping to get exact layouts, I Will PM you the DEM and OVERLAY later
Kevin Fraser

Post by Kevin Fraser »

best bet is to eyeball it - go get an aerial from google earth - also find the Lon/lat of the north west corner and the south east corner. use those co-ordinates when importing dem and it will be closer to the course boundaries. scale and move the aerial until it looks lined up. river valleys, lake and hills help line things up easier.
kev
“Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.”
― Dave Barry
Thunder91166

Post by Thunder91166 »

Kevin, I've got the DEM Plot Cropped, an Exact match Overhead to the Plot, I can Import the DEM, but how do I get the Overlay to show on the Plot to star laying out the course?
Kevin Fraser

Post by Kevin Fraser »

if you want - send me dem or crz and the name of the course and ill try put it all in place or send you a tga file. frazzled924@gmail.com

otherwise, download an aerial of the course from google earth pro "save - image - 4800x2718" - make it a 4096x4096 tga file
- then create a new texture with the file - and then use " terrain - face - texture coordinate mapping - new mapping - planar" add it to the texture,
- change view from xy to z - uniform scale the texture mapping - good place to start is the "eye alt" from google earth pro. probably in the 4-6000 range
- should have been a scale on the aerial - use the measuring tape to check and re check the size is right. Can also check par 3s
- then move the texture mapping until it looks lined up.

I would still recommend using google earth elevation overlay as Danny suggested and in the tutorials but use it over the dem data - most dems are accurate - not precise.

Kev
“Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.”
― Dave Barry
Thunder91166

Post by Thunder91166 »

Thank You Kevin, Got it now
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Kevin Fraser wrote: October 5th, 2019, 10:40 pm if you want - send me dem or crz and the name of the course and ill try put it all in place or send you a tga file. frazzled924@gmail.com

otherwise, download an aerial of the course from google earth pro "save - image - 4800x2718" - make it a 4096x4096 tga file
- then create a new texture with the file - and then use " terrain - face - texture coordinate mapping - new mapping - planar" add it to the texture,
- change view from xy to z - uniform scale the texture mapping - good place to start is the "eye alt" from google earth pro. probably in the 4-6000 range
- should have been a scale on the aerial - use the measuring tape to check and re check the size is right. Can also check par 3s
- then move the texture mapping until it looks lined up.

I would still recommend using google earth elevation overlay as Danny suggested and in the tutorials but use it over the dem data - most dems are accurate - not precise.

Kev
Hi Kev... How is a DEM applied to an APCD plot? Is it simply grid lines on a photo that you apply like an overlay? I'm sorry, but I have no idea how DEM's are used in the APCD.

TIA,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Thunder91166

Post by Thunder91166 »

Danny, a DEM is "Imported" as the plot, I contains the height data for the selected area. Then you can overlay a course over head TGA as a texture as in Les's Video's 23 and 24 I think. And with SASPlanet You can get such a better Overhead Pic with out all the Fine tuning of angles and such that Google "whatever" makes you do
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Thunder91166 wrote: October 6th, 2019, 3:43 am Danny, a DEM is "Imported" as the plot, I contains the height data for the selected area. Then you can overlay a course over head TGA as a texture as in Les's Video's 23 and 24 I think. And with SASPlanet You can get such a better Overhead Pic with out all the Fine tuning of angles and such that Google "whatever" makes you do
Thanks for the info Thunder... :thumbup:
Completed Courses