Links2003 won’t start following screen resolution problems

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
FOOOOORE!

Re: Links2003 won’t start following screen resolution problems

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Still Linksing wrote: May 19th, 2020, 10:37 am No. Never change the graphics settings in the game itself. This is the part of Links that doesn't work properly with modern monitors because the game was never designed for them. This is why we change things in the registry. If you try and change resolution in the game itself, it will mess things up again and you will need to go back to the registry to fix it.

The resolution the game shows you in the graphics settings is not correct, totally ignore it.
That bit caught my eye. I changed the resolution within the game to 1920 x 1200, and it's definitely in that mode with no problems. I did look at the registry setting and it is 15 as expected, so I guess doing it from inside the game works at least some of the time.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

FOOOOORE! wrote: July 28th, 2020, 1:22 pm
Still Linksing wrote: May 19th, 2020, 10:37 am No. Never change the graphics settings in the game itself. This is the part of Links that doesn't work properly with modern monitors because the game was never designed for them. This is why we change things in the registry. If you try and change resolution in the game itself, it will mess things up again and you will need to go back to the registry to fix it.

The resolution the game shows you in the graphics settings is not correct, totally ignore it.
That bit caught my eye. I changed the resolution within the game to 1920 x 1200, and it's definitely in that mode with no problems. I did look at the registry setting and it is 15 as expected, so I guess doing it from inside the game works at least some of the time.
It’s working for you because you have applied the Nvidia patch. This works but I never recommend the patch as it’s old now and we have no specific info on it. The registry is straight forward and you know exactly what changes are being made.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

You're probably right. I just can't recall now, I installed the game a long time ago. I do have that patch, so most likely I installed it.
dlynch67

Post by dlynch67 »

Thanks much, I'll try that.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Still Linksing wrote: July 28th, 2020, 2:44 pmIt’s working for you because you have applied the Nvidia patch. This works but I never recommend the patch as it’s old now and we have no specific info on it. The registry is straight forward and you know exactly what changes are being made.
Making changes to the registry is risky for people who aren't technically savvy (ie. know enough to backup the Registry before making changes to it). The Nvidia patch works pretty much every time, and even if you don't run it correctly it won't cause your computer to lock up. The fact that you don't recommend it doesn't make it any less effective. The registry is straight forward for an experienced user, and that experienced user would know exactly what changes are being made, but the average user isn't necessarily experienced or technically savvy. :wallbash:

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

pmgolf wrote: July 29th, 2020, 2:08 am but the average user isn't necessarily experienced or technically savvy. :wallbash:

Pete
And exactly why I recommend the registry over the patch. Let's see what the future brings...
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

dlynch67 wrote: July 28th, 2020, 7:35 amAfter playing a hole, the box comes up that indicates something about display mode and "only power of two textures". It also references 1024 x 1024 which I gather is related to the video resolution. Also, the sky has the Links 2003 labelling instead of clouds or blue sky. Sometimes, the sky has turned pitch black and remains.
Someone with a very similar - perhaps even identical - issue had it fixed recently by moving sky files away from the game directory until a corrupted one was removed. See thread: viewtopic.php?p=2877#p2877
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
dlynch67

Post by dlynch67 »

I followed directions that were posted on the forum re: how to change the registry and what number to use. If I can recall, based on my Links system info. on the Options page, it suggested using 14 based on my system info. which has states that the video resolution is 1024 x 768, 16 bit color. So I entered 14 because a chart on the forum indicated that for a system video resolution of 1024 x 768, 16 bit, this is the correct setting. After doing this, I went back to playing Links and I encountered the same problems with the box popping up on my screen that says something about 1024 x 1024 texture and then I have to exit and start over, and I have not been able to get past this part

With a system resolution of 1024 x 768, 16 bit color, is there another setting that would work better. (14 is not working) If so, please assist me by providing the correct registry setting for 1024 x 768, 16 bit color so that I can go back into the registry and change it.

Thanks for any assistance here -
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

dlynch67 wrote: July 31st, 2020, 5:56 am I followed directions that were posted on the forum re: how to change the registry and what number to use. If I can recall, based on my Links system info. on the Options page, it suggested using 14 based on my system info. which has states that the video resolution is 1024 x 768, 16 bit color. So I entered 14 because a chart on the forum indicated that for a system video resolution of 1024 x 768, 16 bit, this is the correct setting. After doing this, I went back to playing Links and I encountered the same problems with the box popping up on my screen that says something about 1024 x 1024 texture and then I have to exit and start over, and I have not been able to get past this part

With a system resolution of 1024 x 768, 16 bit color, is there another setting that would work better. (14 is not working) If so, please assist me by providing the correct registry setting for 1024 x 768, 16 bit color so that I can go back into the registry and change it.

With today's hardware capabilities, it would be unusual to use 16 bit resolution in Links. Have you tried changing it to 32 in the Links Graphics menu?

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

dlynch67 wrote: July 31st, 2020, 5:56 am I followed directions that were posted on the forum re: how to change the registry and what number to use. If I can recall, based on my Links system info. on the Options page, it suggested using 14 based on my system info. which has states that the video resolution is 1024 x 768, 16 bit color. So I entered 14 because a chart on the forum indicated that for a system video resolution of 1024 x 768, 16 bit, this is the correct setting. After doing this, I went back to playing Links and I encountered the same problems with the box popping up on my screen that says something about 1024 x 1024 texture and then I have to exit and start over, and I have not been able to get past this part

According to my records, that 14 doesn't look like the setting you want.This is what I have on the registry settings.

Please make a backup of the registry before making any changes to it!
Registry settings for specific resolutions:

15 - 1920 x 1200
14 - 1920 x 1080
13 - 1808 x 1008
12 - 1680 x 1050 *
11 - 1440 x 900
10 - 1366 x 768 **
9 - 1360 x 768 **
8 - 1280 x 960 **
7 - 1280 x 800
6 - 1280 x 768 **
5 - 1280 x 720
4 - 1600 x 1200 ***
3 - 1280 x 1024 ****
2 - 1024 x 768 ****
1 - 800 x 600 ****

* This only works on my computer in Full Screen Mode
** This only works in Windowed Mode on my computer
*** I know this value from my desktop computer
**** These are the original values from 1.05

The registry change won't stay unless you run REGEDIT with elevated administrative privileges (in Vista or Win7). Find the REGEDIT.EXE and right click on it and select Properties. Choose the compatibility tab and ensure there is a check next to "Run as Administrator". Close the properties window and double-click on REGEDIT and make the change again. Your Links should then be set to 1440x900 (or whatever resolution your display mode is set to).

go to start, run, regedit.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Microsoft Games
LINKS 2003
Display Settings

I've never had to resort to going into the Registry to set my video resolution. I ran the nVidia patch, and now I can set the video resolution inside Links in "Graphics Settings". Works with AMD (ie. ATI) video cards, too.
Graphic Settings.jpg
Graphic Settings.jpg (83.68 KiB) Viewed 5024 times
Pete