3D issue

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Stephen Sullivan

3D issue

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Followed all the videos that Danny has done. I managed to de-shadow the foundation for the driving range building but noticed there were still some shadows on the surrounding ground.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (509.3 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
I selected the faces and then the verts, hoping to raise the foundation and add some edges, but it seems I have detached the foundation from the plot. Do I need to redo the whole foundation from scratch?
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (793.05 KiB) Viewed 4201 times

HELP!!
AJ Allen

Re: 3D issue

Post by AJ Allen »

Stephen, I'm no expert, but I think you should add faces to the empty space and turn it to rough. The foundation can just sit on top of that, and the sharp edges can be changed to 0.

Also, you can still give that foundation some height, even with it detached from the mesh. Your image shows you have raised it up to look at it. Just highlight all the faces, extrude, then raise it up again a little bit. You will then get some height to it that can be changed to concrete or whatever texture you are using. Then when you lower it back down, you can sink it into the terrain a few inches. That way you can be sure a ball can never get caught under it.

Cheers, AJ
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: July 1st, 2020, 1:48 am Followed all the videos that Danny has done. I managed to de-shadow the foundation for the driving range building but noticed there were still some shadows on the surrounding ground.

Untitled-1.jpg

I selected the faces and then the verts, hoping to raise the foundation and add some edges, but it seems I have detached the foundation from the plot. Do I need to redo the whole foundation from scratch?

Untitled-2.jpg

HELP!!
To seal up that open hole, I think all you need to do is delete the verts that line the edges of the hole. Eventually, as you delete, they will all join together in the center and seal up the hole. You may have to reshape the surface again, but that should be easy enough. Then you can either extrude it and de-shadow it again, or do what AJ suggested. Just save a backup of the course as it is before you make the repair, in case something goes wrong. :thumbup:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Stephen Sullivan

I know now why I've never messed with stuff like this. Should that concrete base have detached itself from the plot when I deshadowed? It did it when I tried the technique on one of the bridges I've made from the plot as well, so I left the shadows in place until I could figure out what the heck to do.

When I've started fiddling with the edge of the hole, I've found that there is a section of the concrete that has snapped back under the plot all the way around.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (143.71 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
If I delete this, the surrounding area snaps away a bit leaving an even bigger hole. Finding it all very frustrating and distracting form the important part of blending the course :wallbash:

It was mentioned about extruding the base and just putting it back in the hole. Would Links not crash with something like that? Doesn't the plot have to be totally sealed?
Stephen Sullivan

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :pcwhack: :pcwhack: :pcwhack:

It will allow me to extrude the flat foundation, but some parts of the extruded sides are missing, while the rest are a none texture. It won't allow me to create faces to fill the holes, it just bings at me. May just try and fill the hole in and start again :surrender:
Stephen Sullivan

Well, it's taken me a while, but I have filled the hole in and there appear to be no shadows showing. May just use that as the base for the driving range building if it ever gets done :wallbash:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (170.26 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

[Edit: I guess you already solved it]
Links would not crash without the plot being sealed. I like AJ's suggestion of filling in the hole, it sounds like you already tried the Face Create tool without success, you need to start by clicking on at least one of the existing verts on the edge of the hole so that the new face attach to it. For example click on 2 existing verts next to eachother on the edge of the hole and then in the middle of the hole. Just make sure to very accurately click on the existing verts or it will mess it up (its visually very obvious when it messes up, just undo and try again it that happens). What probably caused you problems was that if you are mid-way creating a face, with one or two points clicked, you cant do anything until you finish making a face with the 3rd click or it will "bing" as you put it. In that case just click wherever it accepts it and then undo to start creating a face anew.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: July 1st, 2020, 8:02 am I know now why I've never messed with stuff like this. Should that concrete base have detached itself from the plot when I deshadowed?
Hi Stephen... I would guess that you created that structure "on plot". Meaning, you extruded the building from a face that was the surface of the plot, rather than creating a separate structure "off plot" and then moving it on to the plot and setting it in place on the surface.

If you use the plot face and extrude it, then when you "de-shadow" you are breaking the sides away from the plot which will leave the hole underneath. To avoid that, you should create your 3D structures off plot and then move them in place and pull the sides down below the plot surface. Make sense?

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Stephen Sullivan

Danny, the building was created off plot after laying out the shape over the created foundation. Its the foundation that I had tried to de-shadow following your video. The top was fine, but still had those around the sides. It was when i tried to lift it to look at the sides to add edges that I noticed it wasn't attached any more.

In the end I just filled the hole in and added edges. I've opened and closed the file several times with no sign of shadows, so I'm taking that as a success and done :pcwhack:

Now to get back to the blending and earth moving that I enjoy. I hate it when something i enjoy becomes a chore :surrender:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: July 1st, 2020, 12:00 pm It was when i tried to lift it to look at the sides to add edges that I noticed it wasn't attached any more.
AHA! Now I understand. When you de-shadowed the foundation, it separated the foundation from the plot. Makes sense now. There are easier ways to remove shadow issues on the plot. The de-shadowing procedure is best used only on 3D structures. Glad you got it straightened out. :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses