Rocky water

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Stephen Sullivan

Rocky water

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Can anyone point me in the direction of a rocky/watery texture to go in the bottom of this drainage ditch. Saw a picture (which I can't find at the moment), which shows that the ditches at Close House have rocky bottoms to them.

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (226.78 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
Last edited by Stephen Sullivan on June 29th, 2020, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeWAW

Re: Rocky water

Post by LeWAW »

It would be easyer to help you with a picture... :dunno:
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
Stephen Sullivan

LeWAW wrote: June 29th, 2020, 4:22 pm It would be easyer to help you with a picture... :dunno:
Edited original post :wallbash:
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Something like that ?
pebbles + water
Attachments
peb116.JPG
peb116.JPG (316.69 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Stephen Sullivan

Yes that's getting there. Possibly slightly rockier.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Disclaimer: The following post is 100% subjective opinion and if anyone disagrees they are very free to dismiss it if they want to, and certainly design their courses however they want! :thumbup:

That is a really well made texture that to me look fantastically good in that screenshot. However I am personally not a fan of these type of textures of trying to show the bottom of a stream or whatever water feature, they can look really good up close but most times in Links you will only see it from afar, and then it is not at all obvious it is a water feature unless it is blue enough. This is why I prefer seeing reflective water wherever even remotely possible. For waters that cant have that, I prefer when they are at least a decent amount blue. It may not look all that realistic with non-clear skies but nothing is going to look realistic with all types of skies or from all viewpoints, and then isnt it better to lean towards the side where the player will at least not be misled to think it is anything other than water?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Stephen Sullivan

I'm almost tempted to go with a dry rocky look. It's going to be a hazard anyway, so probably easier to do and get a good look.
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Stephen, maybe I'm wrong, but I watched all the flyovers from Close House, and I haven't seen any rocks, I think you better use a grass texture with a little bit of water at the bottom :dunno:
Only you can make this decision... :thumbup: